[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/adv/, I think you might be helpful here: >Be hired for job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Th.jpg (109KB, 770x927px) Image search: [Google]
Th.jpg
109KB, 770x927px
/adv/, I think you might be helpful here:

>Be hired for job
>Year later promoted to manager of two new people
>During salary negotiation, boss declines the amount you want, telling you "you make more than the others. If I pay you more, I'll have to raise theirs too."
>Believing this, decide to be content with raise. Learn that in spite of objectively doing more work and managing others, plus doing their work when they fail to, I'm the lowest paid employee
>Get paid less than people you manage, even though your boss and all other colleagues have frequently commended you for being the hardest worker there

No one except the boss knows salary. The people I manage think I'm making more than they are. But I'm not. And I was deceived. What would you do?

Note I work in a law office and so lawsuit comes to mind, but I don't know the first thing about employment law. Only criminal.
>>
>>18057372
still you probably made some friends dealing with it while studying, didn't you? Still, you'll need a way of proving that, and given your employer is in the same field of experience he may know how to avoid it...
Is facing him openly an option?
>>
>>18057372
Out of curiosity, how did you come to learn this?

Personally I'd march in there and demand the salary you deserve, plus a little extra for the money you SHOULD have been making all this time. But if you do that you're going to need something in your arsenal if he blows you off, which he'll almost certainly try to do at first. Basically you have to be ready to threaten to quit, and that means you have to be willing to follow through if he calls your bluff. I don't know how practical it'd be for you to find a comparable new job, though I wouldn't be in a hurry to keep working for this guy if I were you.

I kind of doubt he broke any laws, I can't imagine there's a law against employers giving their employees bullshit excuses, but really I have no idea - I don't know the first thing about any kind of law.
>>
>>18057372

Unionize.
>>
Did you attend law school? (Not sure if this is obvious) If so, where? I'm thinking of pursuing law, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money/effort. What are the odds that I get a well payed job right after graduating from an average lawschool?
>>
>>18057402
I have proof that what I'm saying is true. The only non-written proof is the verbal statement my boss made about salary. Is that what you meant about proving? That might be difficult. Ideas?

And unfortunately none of my contacts are employment lawyers.

>>18057391
I found a document with salaries listed.

Thanks for your thoughts. That's my intention, but I also want to make sure I'm being strategic. I'd readily quit, because I feel a great sense of loss of dignity and respect.

>>18057402
There are only 12 employees. That's not an easy thing to do.
>>
>>18057412
I'd start asking my friends whether they know friends. If that fails I'd try checking some books on this myself (after all you are trained in the field. Maybe you know nothing on that exact subject, but you can still learn with relative ease and probably you can interpret the law properly. And there are also your teachers at the university. They must have some consultation hours, right? This will give you rough idea of your chances
>>
>>18057412
Same guy who knows fuck all about the law (either in general or what it's like to work in the legal industry), so I'm not sure what my $.02 is worth at this point.

But given that you're willing to quit -- and incidentally, your feelings are justified -- if I were you, I'd make an appointment with your boss, remind him of your previous conversation, let him know what you discovered, and tell him that you expect it to change, immediately, or you're going to walk. Obviously don't lose your temper and call him Fuckface McGee or anything, stay civil, but I'd say under the circumstances it's fine to show him that you're pretty displeased. Do make sure that you know exactly what you WANT before going in there, though, meaning exact dollar figures, so you're not blindsided if he says, "Fine, what do you think you should be earning, then?"

Maybe he calls your bluff or fires you, but considering that you're not sure you want to keep working there anyway, you kinda hold all the cards here. If you do leave, or he fires you, he has to scramble to find and train another manager, who'll probably do a worse job than you and who might cause a repeat of this situation anyway. He definitely doesn't want that.
>>
Obviously if somebody tips you off to some kind of legal voodoo magic solution then disregard everything I just said.
>>
Don't fucking ignore my question OP, you piece of shit
>>
>>18057480
are you the guy wondering about law school? Make your own fucking thread. Or just show some initiative and google, there are countless articles out there talking about exactly this. Not OP btw.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.