[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get better at English/American accent? I'm middle-european,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

How do I get better at English/American accent? I'm middle-european, and I want to start making tutorial videos in English, but I'm worried my accent would instantly drive away any potential customers. I know how I feel when I click on pajeet-voiced youtube video. Altough I'm not pajeet (leaning more towards Russian-like accent), I think it would still be quite deterring. I can provide vocaroo sample if requested.
>>
Sure, let's hear a vocaroo sample.

Though honestly I don't think your accent will be deterring. I too get off put by a pajeet accent, but I don't mind European accents. I think it's because the Indians tend to mumble a lot. If you speak and annunciate clearly it should be fine.
>>
>>18052175

Google guides for English phonology and phonological awareness, learn what actually happens when producing English phonemes and practice. Most likely your pronunciation will only improve once you start to post your videos, so it's good practice all the same as long as you're aware of what you're doing.

However, in the global world the varieties of English are quite common and RP is becoming a rarity, so you have nothing to really worry about. As long as you're understood and the content of your videos is relevant, the audience won't much care about your accent.
>>
>>18052175
Speak the language as much as possible, dont think when you speak. Practice makes perfect.
also >>18052185
>>
Personally I've found just listening to people speak to be the most useful. Watch a lot of American television, the more you hear American accents the more you'll get the hang of it.

Hell, I spent a summer listening to nothing British podcasts once and I still manage to have a slight inflection in my voice when saying certain things because of it. Did not take me long at all to pick up a slight accent when it was all I listened to for like 3 months straight.
Sure it would have been much more heavy if I continued doing so.

Friend of mine could commiserate, he was an Amrifat born and raised that moved over to France, but spent most of his time in the UK. Only took him a year to drop his American accent when speaking English, and switch to and English accent. Granted, this speed was likely due to constant exposure. He rarely ever heard American accents, and ONLY heard English accents, so he picked it up fast.
Though he does complain that when speaking French hardly anyone understands him because it's some weird blend of a French, American, and English accent lol.
>>
>>18052183
>>18052185
I gave an extremely quick look to some guide (as you can tell by quick response), it looks helpful. I try to find some videos on it so I can make better sense of those things that represent a sound in a written word.
>>
>>18052183
I think the link got edited away or something
vocaroo DOT com SLASH i SLASH s1ZSioqMK3wz
>>
>>18052201
I actually watch quite a lot of English media, it does not help much. I also can't isolate myself from listening to really heavly accented local english, I'm quite sure it has negative influence on me.
>>
>>18052207
are you scandinavian?
>>
>>18052207
Alright, couple of things. First off I don't mind how you sound at all, you are pretty easy to understand. If you really want to know what to improve on, your Rs and Ws can use some work. However I wouldn't worry about it, just start making your vids!

And for the record I think you pronounced "low" wrong at the end. It is supposed to rhyme with "toe" (It's pronounced with a long o).
>>
"Low" should have been pronounced like you pronounced "toe".

Look up the song "Low" by Foo Fighters
>>
>>18052235
From Slovak republic.

>>18052242
Thanks, I look into the W and R. I still would like to get my accent kinda sorted out before recording, at least the obvious mistakes.
>>
>>18052175
mate accents are cool.
I think they make listening to a voice easier and more interesting.
Sure, many people would prefer no accent but the impact it has really isn't that significant.
>>
Not OP,
also not a native speaker.

How am I doing?

: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0bNDqulMH0L
>>
>>18052443
just realized I fucked up plaque.
>>
>>18052443
I'm also german and I probably can't do it a lot better but on words like "streak" I noticed that maybe you should get your jaw lower so it isn't a flat e but more of a deep and full ea
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.