[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't think I want to go to college and that scares the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1476123897844.png (11KB, 381x381px) Image search: [Google]
1476123897844.png
11KB, 381x381px
I don't think I want to go to college and that scares the shit out of me. All my life ive been pushed to at least get a bachelors so I could have something, but not only do I not have anything I want to study, I'm just tired of school in general. I want to go work for a while before deciding what I want to do, but I don't know anything I'd want to do. What are some choices for an introverted 18 year old who has no idea what he wants to do? I don't want to spend money unnecessarily just to not get a degree, yet if I actually do want one I don't want to be too late. What do?
>>
>I want to go work for a while before deciding what I want to do
Nobody has ever actually done this and been able to go back to school. Especially not some passionless NPC. You'll tell yourself that you've forgotten how to study before it's even been a year.

>introverted
No. You're socially awkward and don't have the balls to socialize. There's a difference.

>I don't want to spend money unnecessarily
Then get a STEM degree. The first 2 years are all the same anyway so you have time to think about it and meet some people who are taking classes. Get all those Calculus and Physics courses out of the way ASAP.
>>
>>18048322
>I don't want to be too late
What is 'too late'? There were people in my class in their 30s, 40s, 50s, and older. There were former housewives, and I think there was one guy who had spent a decade or two in prison too.

Take a year or two off, get some job and think about what you want to do.

I really don't suggested studying STEM like >>18048326 says, STEM degrees aren't that flexible and your major dictates what you end up working in. You pick a major you don't like, and you end up with a degree that's pretty much useless.
>>
>>18048329
>STEM degrees aren't that flexible and your major dictates what you end up working in.
Yeah it sucks that my Civil Engineering degree means that I can only work in traffic, transportation, public works, environmental, structural, or geotechnical fields and the respect to branch out into other things like IT, research, and tutoring. Whereas a Philosophy degree means that you can get a job as a Philosophy instructor at a community college.
>>
>>18048340
>butthurt STEM major
>>
>>18048342
>Have a good job with good options
>"LOL BUTTHURT!"
You must be the same idiot shitposting on the circumcision thread.
>>>/s4s/
>>
>>18048342
Science and Math are everything in the world. If you pursue a different degree you are only cucking yourself
>>
>>18048355
>implying law isn't the best degree possible
>>
>>18048322
In many European countries, including Britain, it is the norm rather than the exception to take a "gap year" between school and university. Some travel, some volunteer, some get internships, some get jobs. Even in the US it will not hurt (and may help, by making you stand out) your eventual university application to have had a gap year.
>>
>>18048355
You just keep telling yourself that when you graduate and every other college grad in the world is fighting for the same few STEM jobs.
>>
oh man, OP, you sound like me at 18.

that's not a good sign
>>
>>18048322
Take the time off. Do a variety of part time jobs, maybe you'll find something you really like. Maybe you'll realize how shit being an hourly worker is and it will give you the motivation you need to pursue a degree
>>
>>18048821
>that's not a good sign
how come?
>>
>>18048541
> it is the norm rather than the exception to take a "gap year"

It isn't really, the only people who do so out of choice are spoilt rich kids
>>
>>18048547
>few STEM jobs

???
>>
>>18048871
because i'm a miserable fuckup
>>
File: uwot.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
uwot.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>18048872
>getting money instead of spending money
>only a choice for spoiled rich kids
>>
File: d5e.jpg (27KB, 271x294px) Image search: [Google]
d5e.jpg
27KB, 271x294px
>>18048322
If it's merely indecision that bothers you, just pick a shorter course, whatever place makes welders and carpenters in your country. If you question your ability though, I'll share how not to act from that position.

I've given into my parents' pressure to go for higher ed, suspecting that unresolved sociophobia will ruin me.
>year one, college
>make no casual connections to get information from, let alone friends
>no work ethic, all free time is spent on escapism to relieve anxiety
>can't bring myself to the building after 6 months

>year two, easily get budget place at uni (that is state pays you to study) by completing comsci exam
>last even less
>psychologist does jackshit
>agree to academic leave until next year to avoid conflict
>year three, cut contact 3 months in
Now I've got a shameful baggage of 3 years of repeated failure, followed by 3 years of parasitism. Too much agreeableness and refusal to grasp responsibility can wreck you hard.
>>
>>18048322
Seriously dude don't do it then. College is a huge financial burden these days and if you don't do it with something you want to do in mind it can be a huge waste of time and money. I regret not getting real world experience before going to a very expensive college and acquiring a degree I'm not using.

>I want to go work for a while before deciding what I want to do

This is an excellent idea. Your parents might worry about you but if you convince them that you have a plan for the interim, that you want to take your (or their) investment seriously by going in knowing what you want to study, I think they'll be onboard.

It's not like you miss the boat if you don't go to college straight out of high school; I knew plenty of people who started college at 20 even one dude who was 28.
>>
>>18048340
This fucking meme again. I have a philosophy degree and I've worked in marketing, web development, and lately programming. Most of the people in my major went onto law school, or like... any graduate program really, one is on track to be an FBI agent.

No degree is useless if you apply yourself in it; even if you major in dance or some shit if you're really into dancing and want to be a dancer then it's the a great way to meet people in your field and develop your skillset. Whereas just taking ANY STEM degree because some le STEM shitposter on 4chan said you were a cuck if you didn't might land you in the position of scraping by in a field you hated with no contacts and no prospects.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.