[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for help figuring out wtf my problem is. I'm a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: kittens-keys-piano-cute.jpg (85KB, 1024x794px) Image search: [Google]
kittens-keys-piano-cute.jpg
85KB, 1024x794px
Looking for help figuring out wtf my problem is.

I'm a musician, I play a lot of different instruments and have been playing for over a decade. Music is a huge part of my life and I listen to a really diverse range of music. However, every now and then I get into a rut where nothing sounds good.

I'll sit around playing an instrument for hours and not gaining any joy out of it or create anything that I think sounds good, and everything I wrote and loved before I got in the rut sounds like shit.

I hardly ever feel the want to listen to music at all when I'm in a rut. Sometimes I'll hear something though, and I'll be able to acknowledge that it sounds good and that I like it, but it'll bring me no pleasure

The last time this happened, I didn't touch any instruments for like 6 months. Music is a huge part of my life though, and I love listening to and writing music, so I don't want to take another half-year hiatus. Can anyone help? I feel like I've lost my soul
>>
>>18045137
Also I'd like to clarify that I don't feel sad or depressed or anything. I just kind of feel nothing, but I don't want to feel nothing. I'd rather be overflowing with emotions with the risk of going into depression than feel nothing
>>
>>18045141
I only play guitar my wife is like you she plays everything I'm going to surprise her with a new keyboard for our anniversary, because I broke hers but that's besides the point is try getting a new instrument or going to a show I've been planning all kinds of trips to shows I think she'd like to help her not stress over things so much
>>
>>18045152
I don't need/want/have money for anything new and I saw two shows this weekend
>>
>>18045137
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yrDk4xrSZE
"How to get out of a rut".
It's the cheesiest advice ever, I know, but it has helped me. So.
>>
>>18045137
Depression doesn't feel like sadness.
Depression feels like apathy, emptiness and not feeling any drive to do things.
Maybe you are actually a bit depressed.
>>
>>18045165
But this feeling only applies to music. I'll admit that I lack emotional substance in most areas of life, but I can still do things and be happy and have energy etc. It's just when it comes to music, I feel absolutely nothing
>>
File: 1411291861756.gif (972KB, 245x181px) Image search: [Google]
1411291861756.gif
972KB, 245x181px
>>18045137

>Can anyone help?

Nope. I mix, master and produce music for a living and there is NO getting around this. Being creative, especially for the purpose of generating income, can be soul crushing. The only thing you can do when you're in a rut is try new things, even if its physically uncomfortable to do. Learn a new song, try a new technique, listen to new bands. All you can do is steadily work against it. Nothing you can do to stop it. The only reason I've gotten so good at combatting it is because if I don't produce I lose money.

Being in a love/hate relationship with your own music is a sign of a good musician. Never be satisfied with what you have. Always strive for better.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.