[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi anons, I have a very vague question. It's been 2 years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: skeleton.gif (955KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
skeleton.gif
955KB, 360x360px
Hi anons, I have a very vague question.
It's been 2 years I'm working with a friend on a huge fiction world. We've written, designed and made thousand of things and characters and we feel that our stories are complex enough to be declined as comic books, books, animation movies and stuff.

The thing is, our drawings aren't good enough and a lot of stuff is just "an idea guy ;^)"-tier stuff (we are working on it, and it'll make a lot of time for us to obtain the level we need)

But this isn't the biggest problem we're encountering: In fact, with how useless and impossible it is to publish comic books nowadays, we don't know what to do.
Should we start a kickstarter for our "first" comic book when we finalize a prototype, or should we start with something else, another support ?
I know I'm asking for something impossible to answer, but I know that a comic, especially a self-produced first comic, won't be read by a lot of people.
We want to know what is the "best" first support to introduce people to a fiction world. Any ideas is welcome, because I know there isn't a correct answer to this difficult question.

We want to be able to make at least some people interested in the WORLD of our work to have, in the long term and by publishing stuff again and again, even if at first we pay for nothing, get enough money to build the totality of our universe on multiple supports, because we know it has the potential to be huge.

TLDR: Any ideas on what support would make the most people introduced to our fiction world, and how do we show to the reader that what we have in store is huge ?
thanks for the answers.

spooky pic unrelated.
>>
>>18043949

ive produced several projects, various types. live action, animation, comics, etc.

the best thing you can do for yourself is start with a limited story and produce it on your own.

by limited story i mean, have a point A, have a point Z, and get there in just enough steps to make it a full story. if you're planning to publish more than 12 issues to tell your story, you are probably going to fail.

12 issues makes it easy to get ahead, stay ahead, and keep the story concise enough that people can enjoy the whole thing.

THEN, if people like it, you can produce a second story arc, and perhaps a bigger one, etc.

but if you are going to insist that you have no stories that can be told in 12 issues than you are shooting yourself in the foot. so many of my former calssmates never produced anything cuz they kept saying

>oh :) my ideas are too epic, they need like three movies to tell them all, its gotta be a big budget studio franchise

lo and behold they do nothing.

if you can't draw, look around for artists. there are artists who post here frequently about how they love to draw and want a comic but can't write. there you go, write it for them.

even if you and your friend take out a loan for 6000 dollars each, you could pay your artists 1000 for each issue, switching them out as needed. you might not make that money back but if producing means a lot to you, its worth it. im 8000 dollars in debt over my last web series.
>>
>>18043985
>>18043985
First of all, thanks for the answer it's really appreciated. I kinda "draw", I just have to train to actually be a good artist

>by limited story i mean, have a point A, have a point Z, and get there in just enough steps to make it a full story. if you're planning to publish more than 12 issues to tell your story, you are probably going to fail.
We actually know this and we have some One Shots ideas. The thing is we made a "world" so we have multiple story.
We had the idea to start with a one shot in order to "introduce" our world, but we aren't sure about the comic book format. is it really a good idea for a first shot ?
>12 issues makes it easy to get ahead, stay ahead, and keep the story concise enough that people can enjoy the whole thing.
I completly agree with this, and eve if we have long stories I think none of them exceeds 12 issues. If it's the case, even if I don't think so, they aren't the ones we'll work on at first, because I prefer to fail one shots than huge series.

I'm really curious about your work, if that doesn't annoy you I'ld like to give it a little look if you have some names.
>>
>>18043949
I really recommend finding a good concept artist who is willing to work with you.
>>
>>18044028

i dont share links / names on 4chan because it becomes people arguing about whether or not its shitty.

either way.

>one shot ideas

one shots arent bad, but it kinda depends on page count. it can be hard to really introduce everything that way. depends on how strong a story teller you are. even just having a 4 issue arc is okay, its doable, and not too over ambitious. but if you want a one shot thats fine as well.

even if you have a bigger overarching story you can fake them out with a smaller arc within that, but the fact that you're okay with this means you have a better chance of being successful.

>is this really a good idea for a first shot.

it depends. most people are drawn to a specific medium for personal reasons, usually thats just what they enjoy. people enjoyed movies want to make movies. people who enjoyed video games want to make video games. people who liked comics, want to make comics. people who like TV want to make TV.

the problem here is that on an indie level it can be harder to produce some of these.

films aren't that expensive to make if your idea is low budget, but they are the most time consuming and take many hats.

a comic is by far the easiest all it takes is someone who can draw and someone who can write (and often times both jobs can be one person).

this is why comics have become the basis for success, particularly in japan. if something does well as a comic that means its a good idea, so should be made into a series or movie. america had the same formula with books. if it did well as a book, then it will be pretty much guaranteed to make money as a movie.

its the easiest cheapest method of producing a story.

but if you have the basic skills and like RPGs you can use rpgmaker and other similar softwares to make games.

if you know just a tad bit about animation you could make this a cartoon (though that can be time consuming).

you can do whatever you want you just need the time and resources to do it.
>>
>>18044031
>>18044040
Thanks. I understand for the 4chan arguing segment.

We'll probably keep the comic format as the first one since our world is almost impossible to make as a low budget movie, and even if we try it'll probably look like complete amateur trash and won't catch.
Thanks for all the advices anyway, they are very appreciated. good luck with you projects based anons.

We'll probably start with short stories or one shot depending on which story we end up choosing as a first start.
>>
Let me say that kickstarter is not a good fit for you at this point. Kickstarter can do amazing things, but in order to make it work, you need a platform of fans to stand on. Nobody will fund the thing if nobody knows about it, and if you haven't proven yourself as creators.

So start small. Worldbuilding stuff is cool, but most people won't go for worldbuilding in and of itself unless you turn it into something like a tabletop roleplaying game or a sandbox game.

People tend to be more invested in characters and in story. Only a small niche group of people will care about the world more than the people and plots within it. In general you want to appeal to that broader audience.

Don't use a story as a platform to showcase a world. use the world as a platform to tell a story.

It usually helps to start small. You build up your skillset and get fans with little projects, until you're practiced enough to tell bigger stories.

My husband and I are collaborative authors, and we didn't follow that. We started with the big story. There was one advantage to that in that we were very excited for it, moreso than anything else, which helps us maintain momentum. But it meant we had to learn as we went and rework and rewrite. Either way you work, chances are it'll be a couple to a few years before you start to see any results. Decide whether you want to spend those years working on a big thing that needs to be reworked extensively, or on little things that will prepare you for a big thing. Either way, there is a set amount of work and time you have to pay before you get good enough to make something good.

Webcomics are a pretty good way to start. They're accessible, they distribute your work to a broad audience, and they're easy to do with a very limited team.

Cont.
>>
>>18044180

You really have two options here.

A) Draw it yourself. but again, there is a debt of time and work you need to pay before it's any good. But a lot of webcomics in particular have started this way and been incredibly successful. The biggest advantage to this is that it's cheap. If you rely on yourself, you don't have to worry about handling other people. However, it will take a lot of time, work, and self-promotion to get anywhere with it.

or B) Hire and artist. This makes the product quality from the get go but it's immediately obvious that this will be expensive. If you have a job that can support this, awesome! But I'm willing to bet that you don't. If you have something ready to go that you are happy with, you can take out a loan. This will give you the money to hire someone. The advantage is that you will likely get more attention faster, and won't have to redo work. However, it's risky with the expense, and you need to find an artist who will work with your for an extended period of time and collaborate well with you.

It's a tricky decision. The best way to view it is that A is more work and less risk, and B is less work and more risk. Which is more valuable to you?

I would like to provide a couple examples of webcomics for you.

Gunnerkrigg Court is a good example of a webcomic that started with rough art and has grown in scale and polish since its inception.

Trying Human is a webcomic that started with quite poor art and has been redone for publication, and you can see side-by-side comparisons of the two.

A Redtail's Dream is a small project that an artist took on to develop their skillset before working on their magnum opus. It has since been completed and they've begun their main work: Stand Still Stay Silent.

Cont.
>>
>>18044217
Cont.

Even if you don't go into webcomics, I consider these helpful to look at because it shows you the options you have before you. Jump right in and live and learn? Jump in but rework stuff to make sure the final product is good? Or start small and level up first?

There is no wrong choice here. It's just a matter of how you want to proceed. It depends on your resources and what you want to do with your project.

Good luck! And feel free to ask me any questions.
>>
>>18044233
Thanks a lot for all of these advices, I didn't expect that many answers. We'll probably start with a webcomic and/or (even if it costs a lot) auto-publish our first comic. I prefer choice A even if it's a lot more work, as I love to design stuffs. I know it'll be hard but I feel like I have to tell these stories.
>>
>>18044271
That's a good mindset to have. A lot of people are in it for the results. Not for the story or the work, but for the fame and fortune, which may not come at all.

But if your motivation is the story, and you accept and even look forward to the work, then you've got a good mindset. Keep it up and you'll make it.
>>
>>18044271
If you need an artist I know a good one who'd probs work for free at least on the concept bashing.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.