[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My vehicle has a seized engine. Shop wants roughly $3,500 to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: _SAM4222.jpg (794KB, 1728x1152px) Image search: [Google]
_SAM4222.jpg
794KB, 1728x1152px
My vehicle has a seized engine. Shop wants roughly $3,500 to replace the engine. I'm planning to sell the vehicle privately to make of some of the cost of buying another vehicle. How much should I list it for?

http://imgur.com/a/CVbow

2006 scion xB
90,000 miles (seized engine so w/e!)
clean title, single owner
back window needs motor replaced.
no issues otherwise.

Should I pay to get it repaired and try to sell it instead?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
>>
>>18043294
if you bought the car new, why the fuck didn't you take care of it? Lemme guess, you either
a) never changed the oil and it all burned off
b) took it to a $20 oil change place, and they either forgot to tighten the oil drain bolt, or forgot to put oil in it altogether

I'd say replace it engine since you've never had it in an accident, and keep it.
>>
>>18043302
I second this. Replace engine and just keep driving it.

You aren't going to get shit selling it as is because there is literally no demand for that vehicle and after you fix it you'll probably barely get anything back after paying for said repairs.

Alternatively, sell it as is for little to nothing, it's a roller, take the loss and buy a "new" car and take care of it this time.
>>
>>18043302
>>18043314
>>18043302
i had the oil changed every 3k miles like clockwork since the day i bought it. i love this car. the oil filter came off on the highway and i'm too stupid to realize the little red light that came on meant "stop this car immediately you fucking idiot" and not "take care of this in ten minutes when you get home."

I listed in on craigslist without a price and got about 10 emails with local numbers asking how much I was interested in selling it for.

I get that it sounds pretty dumb, but I really did love and care very much for this car, and while I'm not against fixing it, it seems like for that much money, I'm better off just buying something newer.

Once again, I appreciate the feedback.
>>
Oil filters just came off randomly? Or did OP take his car to a shop that did a negligent job?
>>
>>18043328
Sue the shop you last got a oil change at.
>>
>>18043328
Oil filters don't just "come off" unless they were barely screwed in in the first place. If anything oil filters tend to get tighter the longer they are on there.

If it was screwed in so loosely as to vibrate off then it would have been leaking engine oil all over the spot where you park it and you should have noticed.
>>
>>18044306
Yes this, did this happen not long after an oil change? The only way that oil filter could have fell off is if the grease monkey changing it couldn't have even been assed to tighten it.
>>
>>18044306
>I wanna sue this person!
>I'm gonna win

It doesn't work like that. First off it costs money, on your part, to start the process and when you win then you'll get compensated but you have to be able to prove without a doubt the shop is to blame. It would be near impossible to prove that. You would literally need to have them on film not tightening it all the way or the guy saying "I did not put that oil filter on all the way". It's OP's responsibility to prove without a single bit of doubt that the shop is responsible.

I've changed my oil for the last 10+ years because most of the people at the lube shop are idiots. I've had them lose my plug and have to put in another one that wasn't OEM. I wasn't going to fuck with them over it and just got a new on my own time. Frankly I didn't have the patience to argue with them anymore but did get a free oil change out of it. Then drove up to the dealership and got one.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.