[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going visiting my boyfriend's family pretty soon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: conversion dish towel.jpg (60KB, 625x625px) Image search: [Google]
conversion dish towel.jpg
60KB, 625x625px
I'm going visiting my boyfriend's family pretty soon and I'd like to bring them a small gift along with me since we're from different countries (America and the UK), but I'm not sure what to take.

In the past some of the things I've given them were American cookbooks, pic related, some American candies and sweets, and typical souvenirs. I'd like to get something small for them but I don't have any ideas of what I should bring this time. What can /adv/ suggest?
>>
>>18041538
Might really depend on what they like. If they're into cooking you might do well to keep on keeping on with that theme.

When I think of differences between us and uk (born in us, live in uk a couple years), I think about how much country and wildlife there is in the us vs the uk. It's less civilized here just by nature of having so much fucking wilderness between the civilized bits. For reference, bristol to canterbury is just 30 mins farther than I'd have to drive to get mcdonalds, and half as far as I'd have to drive to get to a mall.
I realize I'm not average, but still. An idea of the scale.

Anyway. I'm not saying buy them hick hunting tv show dvds or something. But perhaps a nice artistic photography coffee-table book on american national parks? Or does that fall under the typical souvenirs you've already done?
>>
>>18041548
It doesn't, no. That's a really good idea for a gift. Thank you. While we're here though, do you have any other suggestions?
>>
>>18041585

I don't know if they're into history, and I don't know what brits get taught in school about american history but some of the more focused popular history books (on one person or one expedition) can be neat.

America has a wealth of fossils that are less common in the UK as well. A nice mid-price fossil is a very attractive gift, I think. (but I'm a geologist)
>>
>>18041538
a selection of the finest burgers
>>
>>18041592
I think history might be well received, it's not something they're into especially though. In particular his father's into trains and his mother really loves flowers/gardening and cooking.

>>18041603
Some day I'm going to convince them to get on a plane and I promise you I'll have them try the best burgers and steaks America has to offer.
>>
>>18041538
Camo MAGA trucker hats.

More seriously, if your state is known for certain food/acohol items (Napa wine, Wisconsin cheese, Kentucky bourbon), you could bring those. In gift-giving terms, booze is basically candy for grown-ups.
>>
>>18041614
I'm from NY. There's definitely some potential there, but many foods aren't allowed through customs and what I can think of that we're known for wouldn't be permitted.
>>
File: Naked Sushi-Nyotaimori.jpg (172KB, 1709x1025px) Image search: [Google]
Naked Sushi-Nyotaimori.jpg
172KB, 1709x1025px
>>18041538

American stuff:
Tide Laundry Pens, Crystal Light, Pam cooking spray, sugar-free hot chocolate, abercrombie, gap, banana republic, J Crew, Janie and Jack, triscuits, graham crackers, good microwave popcorn, Tylenol Cold, Neosporin, specific brands of toothpaste, Crest White Strips.

California Wines, if possible. Brits LOVE their booze.

Dried meat products like beef jerky or pepperoni sticks are popular with kids. Check, dunno if customs will allow though. Maybe.

Deluxe items: Apple products are much more expensive in the UK, I think. Dunno about import duties, though.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.