[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need to replace the engine on my 2006 Scion xB. Dealership mechanic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1452324557301809477[1].jpg (45KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1452324557301809477[1].jpg
45KB, 800x450px
Need to replace the engine on my 2006 Scion xB. Dealership mechanic says it will cost between $5400 and $7200 because the seized engine will need to be disassembled to be able to disconnect it from the transmission. Parents want me to buy their scion xB 2008 for $4000, (probably worth about 8-10k desu) I love my car but holy fuck 5k just to replace the engine?

Should I even bother trying to hunt around for a better deal on the engine replacement?
>>
>>18035333
No. That sounds both fairly accurate and like an average price. I definitely wouldn't want to spend $4k on a fucking xB though, even something not almost a decade old.
>>
>>18035333
How did the engine seize?
>>
>>18035374
>>18035374
Driving it home from work at 6AM. Oil light (whihc to be fair i have never even seen before) comes on. On the highway so decide to check it when I get home. 5 miles later, engine stops.

Mechanic says oil filter is MISSING, but that it wasnt destroyed or broken (threading is intact). Shop i took it to have the oil changed 3-4 months ago says there's no way it could have left "loose or not put on correctly" and been unnoticed or anything for fucking 4 months. Both of my parking spaces (home and work) show no pools of oil. There was also no signs of any change or issue until the moment that it happened (and the light came on)

The mechanic, the dealership, and my mechanic friends are very confused.
>>
>>18035368
do I have more appealing options at this price range?
>>
>>18035333
Contact your insurance agency. If the repair is more than the car is worth (they'll figure that out for you most of the time) then it will be totaled.

If you're coverage is good, they'll give you options for a new vehicle. Most likely they'll help you pay a certain percentage.

Basically, start at insurance, see what options you have, or try to sell it yourself (you won't get much for such an old car with a non-functioning engine).

Don't put 7 grand into a car that old, that's moronic.
>>
>>18035389
Should I bother if I only have liability?
>>
>>18035388
Honda, Kia, and Toyota passenger vehicles are great "beaters" at a $2-4k price range. Parts for them are among the lowest priced and most widely available of most vehicle manufacturers, and if you know anyone with even basic car knowledge they can typically work on them due to simple/consistent overall design. Stay away from hybrids and CVTs unless you plan on learning a bit about vehicles and making sure that you keep up with maintenance on them more so than your average vehicle. A lot of newer (2011-13ish) vehicles are going to require synthetic blends or synthetics for oil, so take that into account when looking around.

>>18035400
Typically no. Even full coverage will often only cover mechanical failure, which a missing oil filter would not be considered.
>>
>>18035387
Out of curiosity, roughly how many miles did you drive in that 3-4 month period, and was it a chain shop that did your oil change or a local?
>>
>>18035418
>miles
little less than 3000
>shop
mobil one branded oil change place, owned by a local guy
>>
>>18035418
>>18035433
Was it a place like Jiffy Lube? Or express?

I had an experience where they broke some shit on my car changing the oil and I didn't find out until the next time I went in to get oil and they wouldn't pay for the charges to fix it.

So yeah my /adv/ice is avoid those shops
>>
>>18035418
Reason I ask is because I had something very similar happen in one of my shops a few years ago. What had happened was a very similarly sized filter was installed by accident by one of my techs and the customer drove about 2k miles before the pressure blew the filter off and locked the engine like what you're describing. It doesn't take more than a minute or two with a lot of vehicles to dump the oil and seize the engine. I would double check your invoice and the filter number on there with the appropriate one listed by the manufacturer to see if they made an entry error, and also see if they have cameras in that shop. It's less likely in a local place that's not a chain but it's worth a shot. I would have 100% denied our customer's claim on the same assumption as your guys that it just didn't make sense months later but we reviewed camera footage and sure enough found out it was our fault.
>>
>>18035451
Lol what did they break?
>>
>>18035451
They also use the cheapest oil imaginable and put the same kind of oil in every car.

Some cars need different oils.
>>
>>18035484
Gas station express lubes and places like Valvoline, yes, Jiffy Lubes, Midas, Pepboys, etc., no. Most of the chains have contracts with major vendors like Pennzoil or Mobil 1 have been pushing for informing customers about oil specs for the better part of a decade now.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.