[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

All my life my mom keeps buying me things I don't want,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1486354058806.jpg (19KB, 480x360px)
1486354058806.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
All my life my mom keeps buying me things I don't want, and then gets insulted and guilt trips me when I say I don't want them. I've tried talking to her many times about this and I'm always polite when I'm trying something down. I constantly acknowledge that I know she's trying to be kind and that I know she's doing it out of the goodness of her heart, but it's just getting ridiculous. Usually it's an item I don't want and don't have room for. If I kept everything she ever gave me, I'd be a fucking embarrassment walking around in clothes my mom thinks are cute, eating food I don't like and living in a room full of things I think are off-putting and difficult to live around. Sometimes she goes far outside of her expenses to give me something I don't want, and now in addition to creating a situation where I can only hurt her, she's now wasting money for no reason.

I'm tired of hurting her every single time this happens, and I'm tired of having to remind her of how I feel about this, only for her to explode at me and go back to guilt tripping me and telling me that I should be thankful for everything I get. This used to just be done with her money, but we've lately been pooling funds, so it's like she's wasting my money some of the time, but I can't bring this up because she just says that she provides so much of her money to me for blah blah blah you get the idea.

I currently live with her, and even though the easiest answer to my question would be something like: "just move out and live by your own rules", I can't do this since both my mother and I are ill, and we need to take care of each other. How the hell do I resolve this?
>>
>>18033772
Sorry I don't have an answer but mine does this too.

"Things" aren't really my style. I like to have a few very nice things that I take good care of and love and otherwise like to live in a pretty spare kind of way. Not because I can't afford it but just because clutter really bothers me to the point where I'd say it causes me mild anxiety.

My mother values things and when she gives gifts she likes to give in volume and it's take her about 10 years of hearing me say "no, no, please don't worry about buying me these things I'm not very materialistic" to finally believe me. And even then she still buys more than I'd like. For Christmas just gone her big present to me was to chip in on some new ice skates and I thought that'd be it. But on the day she also gave me half a dozen other things I didn't want or need.
>>
If you really want to have some kind of effect on her, then start buying her shit she obviously doesn't want. But it seems like you don't have the money for that so we're gonna try the next best thing.

*ahem*

Tell her that if she doesn't stop buying you useless shit with money that you don't have then you'll stop eating. If she can't stop literally spending her own money on shit she KNOWS you won't like then to save money you won't buy food for yourself nor eat any food in order to conserve it for her. If this fails then you'll be dead sorry bro
>>
>>18033772
you mother sees giving gifts as an expression of love. obviously its burdensome and her reaction is less than elegant, but you should start by appreciating that she buys people things because she cares about them.

you should probably approach her by saying that you appreciate what she does, but you really just don't need all this stuff, and as nice as it is, she should really save her money, or buy herself something instead.
>>
>>18033772
Tell her in advance what you DO want for your birthday, Christmas, whatever. Make something up if you have to. You'll never stop her giving you things, but you might be able to control WHAT she gives.
>>
She's just got narcissistic personality disorder, and is attempting to fight through it by getting you things, which must surely show she loves you.

Except that since her disorder makes her incapable of paying attention to the interests of anyone but herself, she just gets you what she would like.

She gets mad when you don't want the things because, remember, NPD makes you unable to consider what other people would want, so all she knows is that she'd want it in your shoes, so therefore you not wanting it is absolutely ridiculous and unheard of.
>>
>>18033772
>hurting her
>I'm always polite when I'm trying something down. I constantly acknowledge that I know she's trying
You seem to be rewarding her behavior every time, perhaps a tougher stance is in order.
>>
Take her gifts and give them to the needy. If she asks where x gift is, tell her you passed on the blessing or something. She'll either get pissrd and stop gifting you (want you want) or you'll have a steady stream of nice stuff, that don't need, to give away.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.