[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a dream to leave California for better pastures. I haven't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: Last train home.jpg (764KB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Last train home.jpg
764KB, 3072x2304px
I have a dream to leave California for better pastures. I haven't fully realized what to do yet, as there are so many places to consider moving towards, and yet I never traveled in my life except only to Los Angeles.

I need to leave so I can start anew and be the man I want to be: Happy, stronger, and mentally relieved.

I got a job earlier last year, and now I'm making goals to do the best at the job.

In short, I have 2 questions:

1: What places in the USA are considered comfier than the rest? What pros and cons are there to be at say, Washington, Texas, Oregon, Nevada, and Ohio? To a lesser extent, Colorado and Missisipi?

2: Should I be damn good at my job (not yet, but I'm getting there), when should I expect a raise?

This is also my first job, working in a kitchen in a non-exempt position, full-time, and given a chance for benefits.
>>
File: 1484451241228.jpg (178KB, 572x680px) Image search: [Google]
1484451241228.jpg
178KB, 572x680px
graduated, went to CA, ended up driving back.

Generally, stay where the money is. Leaving to Cali left me feeling alone and money was ass, as I never pursued my degree.

As originally from Florida, CA was an easy transition. On my way to and from CA I've seen comfy looking spots in Nevada, Arizona, Texas. The east cost is pretty swampy...

Any big city in FL is fairly expensive but, less populated (and therefore cheaper) places to live are easier to come by compared to CA so I suggest give FL a try. South-eastern 3 most counties yield the best opportunity for good work, but iirc the most expensive. Still cheaper than Cali IMO.

So
1.Florida
2.i hope you are making at least $20/hr else leave
>>
>>18033874
Nice, I've never met Florida natives before. I always thought that state looked nice. I just need to know: Is the culture there friendlier than Californians?

Moving on, those states I mentioned were just examples as I heard lots of good things (IE: culture, weather, general comfort of residing, etc) about them.

As long as they actually hire people to fulltime and give decent wages (IE: of course higher than $15 an hour), so be it, I need to leave ASAP.

As for #2, the thing is I just started this job, and am trying my damndest to impress my bosses so I can climb from 10.50 an hour to at least another dollar.
>>
File: optimist_prime_by_avid-d2xz9e1.jpg (264KB, 1024x725px) Image search: [Google]
optimist_prime_by_avid-d2xz9e1.jpg
264KB, 1024x725px
>>18033986
No one is friendlier then California.

FL is humid and rainy but usually cloudy sunshine erry day.

I say see where this job takes you and save up whatever you can. Plan in the meantime etc. But when I left to and from Cali I didn't give AF and went without a plan. Worked out OK. I feel like jobs anywhere will be Craigslist tier unless you have something specific in mind.
>>
>>18032909
North Dakota
>>
>>18032909
Califag here in the same boat
Oregon is beautiful, but they're not so welcoming after a ton of Californians moved into Portland... There's even apartments that say "CA residents need not apply" because we've driven up the prices so much, the locals can't even afford some complexes.
I'm thinking of moving to WA, it's gorgeous, I love the rain and it's also the highest income to cost of living in the US (I believe), so it's perfect for college kids and couples who are set on renting. Buying property is a whole 'nother issue- they have really high property taxes which is problematic...
I've also considered VA but work is sparce and it's so far from home. Tons of my friends are moving to Texas, AZ and Nevada because of how cheap it is but I personally hate the heat.
>>
>>18034749
Well, shit, that's one option crossed out of the list. Ah well, I hope they're more welcoming in the future.

Sounds to me like Washington's a good option when it comes to renting...albeit, I'm single but I'm dead set for paying a bit more than to live here ever again. The ONLY bad thing for me is that baggage from California would follow me there. More specifically, my cousin and her actually retarded kids will someday find a way back there, as it's there home until they moved here.

I dislike her a lot, and it discomforts me knowing someday, even if I win and move, she'll follow suit. I'm willing to put aside my distaste if it means the comfort-level is that high, as I love the rain and I'm fine with just renting a studio.

As for Texaz and ArizonaI also hate the heat, but I assume those guys have a way to make AC cheaper, or at least install it everywhere to make living there easier. Fuck, I hear Texas was awesome to be in, due to how friendly their culture is. Not as liberal as CA, but not totally conservative, just a perfect balance.
>>
>>18035165
I've visited portland recently after living in northern CA all my life and people seem to be a whole lot nicer. what I love about the place though is that the pace of life is sooo much slower, in the bay area, at least, everyone is trying to be somewhere(literally and metaphorically) and if your not doing the same it feels like you're in the way and you're looked down upon. if your a wage slave in northern cal, and not at least giving off the impression you're trying to move up socializing is hard whereas a place like portland a lot of people are just okay with the wage slavery and getting by. I can't speak too much about the anti california bias, my visit was short and being aspie-ish I didn't try to socialize much, but people I talked to were really nice. I think socal is also a little more slow pace, san diego specifically, so you could keep doing your work there and not feel the pressures you get in norcal. If you get to the point at work where you have vacation time, travel a little, work is paying for it.
>>
>>18032909

As an Oregon fag here stay in cali. You guys come here in droves and drive up our rent. Jk. Well not really. But I'd give my left nut to be able to afford moving to cali. It's not better up here. Trust me on this. Same liberal bullshit, yet more retarded. We just had protestors vandalize city hall cause we voted Hillary, despite that being that they wanted us to vote Hillary. Oregons full retarded.
>>
>>18035498

Plus in Portland you'll never find a job. Everything's based off connections. Oregonians want local only and even then they won't hire you unless you are a woman or a minority. Portlands a paradise for everyone who isn't a white male. Granted you're from cali so if your a Chicano you'll get a job.
>>
>>18035503
Well, fuck, I'm actually White Chicano and I get no respect here either. All the fillipinos and shit just pick on me for not being dark enough.

Well, anyway, thanks for the insight. I didn't know culture there got worse than here, where an entire community college's worth of people stood outside the senator's office to protest because Trump's the president.
>>
>>18035556
where is that?
>>
>>18035581
I think it was at Sacramento, about December ago when Trump wasn't officially in yet (Because people were so butthurt, they needed SEVERAL recounts, including those wild superdelegats and whatnot.)

Either way, we've been having a lot of protests since November 9th ago. Some bigger than the others
>>
>>18035556

I wish I coulda gave better news from up here in Portland. Granted I might be jaded cause of how my life turned out here. But I've had a few friends go to cali and have it better there than they did here.

Anyway I hope you the best on whatever you do anon.
>>
>>18035688
what happened
>>
>>18035722

Meh a meme story. Studied at the local college for a meme degree. Graduated and couldn't find a job. Neither could people I called friends. I stayed here cause I couldn't afford to move from home and am unemployed. Friends who left Oregon have jobs. Fun stuff.
>>
File: 1341030860072.png (6KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1341030860072.png
6KB, 300x300px
>>18032909
Same here OP.
I always wanted to move out to Portland. Currently living in a small farming town in California and I want out.
>>
I live in Texas. You're likely going to hate it being from Cali and want to go back. The land is mostly flat and ugly, the culture is much more insular and feels "behind" socially compared to a coastal city and the heat and sun is brutal when you're used to a more mild climate.
>>
>>18034009
fuck off that is total horse shit. Have you seen how we drive? We'd rather castrate u then let you pass us
>>
File: 1387773108338.gif (358KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1387773108338.gif
358KB, 300x169px
>>18032909

Texas is a few good places surrounded by a metric fuck ton of shit hole. Austin is cool but very isolated and up its own ass with weirdness. Houston is also ok but less eccentricity, more angry white people and more crime. Texas would be cool if I didn't have to drive through 800 miles of shitty po-dunk towns just to find something interesting.

Nevada is nothing but a sweltering death pit. Reno is a fun city to visit but unless you do drugs or have a severe gambling problem and inch thick skin capable of sustaining 8000 degree weather punishing your every waking moment its not worth it living in the fucking desert.

We're not even going to discuss Ohio. The funnest thing I did in Ohio was eat at an Applebee's and then leave.

Oregon is alright if you're into the outdoors. Portland is a terrible, over-priced hipster shangri-la and Eugene is a smaller, more affordable version of Portland with not much to do but drink craft beers and smoke weed. Unless you like being condescended to and paying 1800 a month for a closet above an artisanal tea shop Portland is not the place for you. The rest of Oregon is racist backwater to the south and shitty desert to the east but there is tons of great skiing, hiking, swimming and outdoorsy stuff. The coast is known for its top quality meth and seafood.

Washington is your best bet. It has the most concentration of big cities with enough outlying places that are affordable, fairly low taxes and enough hubs of activity no more than an hour or two in either direction. Just outside of Seattle is a great place to live. It gets more expensive the closer you get to the city but there's plenty of options and its just a hop and a skip from Vancouver in Canada which fucking rules.
>>
>>18036035
You forgot the part where Austin's traffic and cost to live are so shit that we're desperate for people to leave.
>>
>>18036042

Its a great city to spend a few nights in. I played SXSW there a few times but was really glad to leave. I could tell from the brief times I was there that a lot of people moved there just for the novelty and it was just swamped with struggling 20 something musicians and street people. Nothing else in Texas is worth a shit.
>>
>>18032909
Stay the fuck away from the East Coast, trust me.
>>
>>18036046
Thanks for the sum-up!

Sad about Texas, though. I thought the white people there would be calm, because I'd fit right in with those people. Though, I keep hearing elsewhere that it was California 2.0, Extra Spicy.

I knew Nevada was hot, but not as hot as actual Hell. Aside from that, sadly I don't drink or gamble.

I hate liberals at this point, so already, I see that Oregon isn't in the cards now. That, and I HATE being condescended and I hate paying 1800 for a simple studio.

As for Washington, I'll make that my goal now and hope to god someday I'll be wealthy enough to pull off a trip there, then save even more to live away from Seattle, though not to far.

(Also, speaking of failed/struggling musicians and 20 somethings...we have LOTS of those here. Only difference is they want to be cops or nurses as well.)
>>
I've heard virginia and pennsylvania are nice if you don't want to be anywhere near california. Texas if you the heat.

Ever since moving from the bay area to the sierras though I never want to leave. I could probably live the rest of my life in this region fuck cities.
>>
>>18036802
if you like the heat*
>>
I've recently moved out of the SF area to coastal Virginia. So far, things are going fine. The weather is ok, it's a fun area, craft brewing is big over here, things are cheaper, the people are friendlier and there are tech jobs to be had here, especially in cybersecurity.

But I still wonder if it was the right move. I'm a little older than most people here, so I cashed everything out and wanted to retire. But if that was really the game plan, I should have moved to somewhere rock-bottom super-cheap, not just average. So, I still have to work a bit before I can make a go of it.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.