[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>want to go to uni to get bachelors >heard it's cheaper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

>want to go to uni to get bachelors
>heard it's cheaper to go to community college first for 2 years
How does that work? Wouldn't I be getting an associates degree? The uni I want to go to has a bacholers degree only that i want in my field how do I "finish off" if you know what I mean
>>
>>18028669
That's what I'm doing right now. My cc is about $100 per credit, so no more than $1600 per semester if you even take that many classes. The 4 year college I'll transfer to will be about $5000 a semester.

You do your lower level coursework at the cc and then transfer it to the 4 year. Assuming you fulfill the degree requirements, you'll get an associates first from the cc and then a bachelor's from the 4 year.
>>
>>18028669
People tell me to do this too, but I want the full college experience, I don't want to get to know people and then have to leave them 2 years later.
>>
>>18028669
at any 4 year college you have to do 2 years of generals before you can officially declare a major and take the required courses to complete it

generals don't typically have anything to do with your degree so it doesn't matter where you take them but the average in state tuition cost for 2 years of college at a university is like $25,000

you could complete the same classes at a community college for probably $5000

plus the classes are easier at CC so you save $20,000 and you'll be able to transfer to the college of your choice with those awesome CC grades to complete your actual degree

the diploma doesn't say you went to community college for 2 years, and you can use your $20,000 in savings to buy a bitchin car and be the big man on campus
>>
>>18028729
So 6 year in total?
>>
>>18029667
No, just 4 unless you go part time.

2 years at a cc and 2 years at the 4 year school (others may choose to do all their work at the 4 year school...that's traditional).
>>
>>18028669
You'll be transferring in the courses you take over to the university.
Personally, if you already know what major you want and what university, I wouldn't waste your time or money in getting any degree program at the community college, just take the specific classes you need.
What I did, because my degree program at my university was so specific, was just pick out every course I could take at community college and took those specific courses over the summers there to transfer into the university. If I went and just spent 2 years there, got some associates and all their gen eds required, I would have had a fuck ton of useless classes that didn't transfer to my university's program.
Go find the university's transfer course conversions and find out which ones will transfer and ONLY take those courses.
>>
>>18029722
It depends on the degrees and universities. In my particular program, they're designed to go together - the university doesn't even offer the lower level courses and you must take them at the community college first. You have to earn the entire associates before you can go for the bachelors.

But my program is specifically designed for working students who can't do the traditional college thing.
>>
CC is what you make it. It saves money and is convenient. I never went to Uni, but as a guy, it seems like a waste of time to go to university before 21. The girls gravitate to the older guys with money, alcohol, hookups, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong about this.

The biggest benefit of CC is that your associates will transfer easily. If you don't get it, you have to make sure each individual class you took at your CC will count toward your BA degree at the uni you transfer to, and all uni's are different in their qualifications. The AA simplifies this, they just accept that you've completed your gen ed req's.
>>
>>18029806
Ah yeah my university was designed around making as much money as possible kek.
So like, they have a fuck ton of courses that are exclusive only to them. Nothing will transfer in, and nothing will transfer out. They want to make sure you spend all your money with /them/ and not any other college lol.

But some of the basic upon basic of gen eds they do accept from other places. I think I got about 7 courses on my transfer list. Everything else I gotta take from the university itself. Which is why it wasn't worth it to me to do a traditional 2 years in community college, since basically nothing would transfer.

You just gotta play the game. Get all the info on both colleges and strategize.
>>
>>18029821
If you want the traditional college experience of living in dorms and hanging out on the quad and all that shit, then it may be worth it to go to a 4 year right off the bat.

It's an expensive experience though.

I'd also say it's worth it if you can get into a really good school. I've been to both a community college and an ivy league school and while there are smart CC students and dumb ivy leaguers, they really don't compare. If you're smart enough to qualify, you may be better off surrounding yourself with intelligent and ambitious kids.
>>
>>18029835
Yes, this. Your environment becomes your reality. If CC is a stepping stone OP, don't get to attached. Keep your mind on getting accepted to Uni. I was dumb, I floundered directionlessly. Play to your strengths, major in that. You don't have to work in that field forever, but you need to commit to get your foot in the door anywhere worth being. If you really decide it's not for you 15 years later, you have 15 years of high level experience and won't have trouble transferring fields.

</rant> Can you tell I have regrets?
>>
>>18028737
>but I want the full college experience
It's a fucking meme.
if you were popular in high school, you will do drugs, drink, and have sex.
because that is what young charismatic, attractive, or female young adults do.
but guess what.
if you can't do all those things outside of uni at the same age, you wouldn't be able to o them in uni.
>>
>>18029855
tell me what your regrets are.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.