[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I lost my job in December, been living off savings since. Finally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

I lost my job in December, been living off savings since. Finally broke down and applied for unemployment, and it won't last me in my apartment for even a month by itself. So either this or the next month is the last I'll be in this place, and without a job or housing, there's no way I'm sticking around this godforsaken state.

The only issue is that unemployment requires that I apply for 3 jobs a week - jobs I have no intention of taking or keeping, which isn't fair to my time or my prospective employer's. Once they see my dreadlocks they won't hire me anyway. So to save us both the trouble, how should I go about applying to jobs that definitely won't even look at my resume? I was a secretary with a fine arts degree, if that helps. I just need to survive long enough to go through my stuff and figure out what I'm taking with me or putting in storage, and then I'll be out of this place's hair forever.
>>
>unemployment requires that I apply for 3 jobs a week
That's awesome! Hand-ups, not hand-outs!

Find a way to make your dreads look business appropriate, cut it off, or start looking for more hands-on or blue collar work. You aren't in unemployment to be picky. You're in it to not get kicked out of your living space.
>>
>>18026027
is it just me or is that pic supposed to look like there's a fucking planet in the sky.

anyways, um just apply for jobs you're under qualified for. Is that not the obvious answer? Plus what's wrong with working in more of a blue collar or service setting? You might not be as well payed, you might need to down size a bit, but you'll be on your feet. idk best of luck anon. Don't loose the dreads, but loose the dread, y'know?
>>
>>18026043
The least you could do is actually read my post and understand that I'm trying to save both myself and employers hassle.

Also, that conservative cockamamie bullshit doesn't work.

http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/magic-bureaucrat-riverside-miracle/

"Get a job any job" programs invariably fail compared to "we'll support you while you get training" programs.
>>
>>18026117
No offense, but it seems like you don't even want to try to get a job. Shave the dreads.

Why not take your savings, move out of your apartment now, and leave the state? Sell your shit. I thought people with dreads were anti-materialism?

How's your credit? You can apply for a loan and say it's to support yourself while A) Working a shit job temporarily and B) Finding training for a better career.

It may or may not work, but my cousin has gotten loans for stupider reasons because he has good credit.

Since you have a degree, then I'm gonna guess you took student loans. Well, guess what? That shows up as a loan paid in full the second you took it which is good for credit.

Also, if you're short on money and can't afford rent after this month then keep in mind that there's likely gonna be a fee for terminated your lease prematurely.

>>18026043
As this anon said - nothing in life is handed to you, and trying to take advantage of the system is doing just that. Who the fuck cares if it's a shitty job because it'll look way better than having a gap in your resume.

Saying "I had to take a bad job in order to survive" shows that you have SOME work ethic and looks better than saying "I didn't work for 8 months because I'm lazy and wanted to be on unemployment until I could finally find my one true calling'
>>
>>18026280
You know, I don't understand why it's so hard to answer a simple question. I don't need a lecture about the joys of meaningless work where you get shafted on compenaation because labor is toothless in negotations with large corporations. You're right, actually, I don't want to work. I want to go back to school - on my own terms this time, not obliged to attend some bottom of the barrel program because they gave me a full ride after watching my parents piss away my college savings in a divorce - but I don't want to put myself in lifelong debt for it.

I do shit on the side and I've created more art and advanced my creative ambitions more in the last two months than I did while employed at my soul-sucking job for 3 years. But it's unsustainable because I was losing money on rent and a car note and medical bills BEFORE I got fired, AFTER cutting back on basic utilities and food. WITH a job paying twice minimum wage. That's the kind of shitty situation we're fucking in. And actually, there's no pride in it. That is trench soldier mentality.

If you're not going to answer the question simply, kindly fuck off. The rich assholes fucking everyone over don't need you to white knight for them; everything they want is already written into the laws. And there's no reason to make my life or some poor bottom rung manager's life more difficult by playing at this charade when I'm going to be out of here one way or another soon.
>>
>>18026564
Well then, if you want to define your life by your job, then by all means.

It sucks, but this is how society has evolved, and it seems like you're blaming everyone else for your lack of initiative.

It's great that you worked on your creative ambitions. It's great that you want to go back to school.

Find different options or suck it up. It's possible to work full time, go to school, and work on a hobby/art/whatever. Money isn't everything. Money doesn't solve everything. It just makes shit easier.

Sell your car, rent a room in a house (it's way cheaper than an apartment), find a menial job within walking distance. Save your money, better yourself as a person. Take shit one step at a time.

> there's no reason to make my life or some poor bottom rung manager's life more difficult
Sounds like a personal problem. Toughen up. If you want to go back to school, start applying, apply for scholarships, apply for grants, apply for everything that isn't a loan. How can you expect to go back to school without a job?

For fuck sake, if you're gonna bitch and complain about meaningless work then find a job that has meaning to you. Like animals? Work at a veterinary clinic. Like plants? Work at a nursery. Like music? Work at fucking guitar center.

Or, say fuck all, and live off the land as some caveman with dreads. Who knows? Maybe someone will mistake you for bigfoot and you'll become famous.
>>
>>18026586
I can't believe you're still moralizing about my perceived lack of work ethic instead of just answering the damn question.

This is the source of America's problems. People in dire straits say, "We need this to survive," and are handed a money laundering scheme dressed up with a guilt trip.
>>
>>18027423
You asked an idiotic question.

Apply at NASA, the CIA, fucking wherever you think you'd be totally underqualified. Hell, apply at places where you're over-qualified too. McDonalds throws away applications if the person has a degree.

Holy shit dude, get your head out of your fucking ass. It isn't rocket science.

>and are handed a money laundering scheme dressed up with a guilt trip.
Then start your own business and use it as a money laundering front. Money isn't real, by the way. Gold Standard ended a while ago.

Also, live off the fucking land if all you want to do is survive. Ever hear of cavemen? They had no problem, AND they probably had dreads. You're already half way there.
>>
>>18027799
>You asked an idiotic question
So an idiot should be able to answer it.
>>
Goddamn OP you're a loser.
>>
>>18026027
wake up early and be at the temp by 6 am and be ready to work.

or just walk in and ask, but temps are the way to go. you should still see some of that unemployment money too. also you might meet some cool people.

and apply apply apply

ive been applying and i think it finally paid off
>>
>>18026564
She mad? No seriously, you suck. You ask for advice, you got advice but its not what you want to hear. Live in a dumpster or do what you already have planned anyway, but please dont come here and do your attentionwhoring. Besides, abusing the system will show you what you deserve.
>>
>>18026027
Figure out where you're moving and start applying for jobs there. They'll call you and ask when you're free to come in and interview and just tell them it will be a couple weeks.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.