[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I didn't know where else to put this. How dangerous is it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1478369040755.png (232KB, 431x407px) Image search: [Google]
1478369040755.png
232KB, 431x407px
I didn't know where else to put this.
How dangerous is it exactly to work around plastic?

I ask because I work in a factory that manufactures items out of recycled plastic. I am placed in the extrusion line where I dump the ground up bits into an auger that carries it into a mixer, then a crammer, then the extruder itself where it melts it all at about 400 degrees. These parts are cooled in water.

I try to keep away from the fumes and have fans blowing to keep the worst of it away. I recently got a pair of goggles, a respirator and wear gloves. On top of that, I wear a hat, long sleeve clothing and pants.

It wasn't until recently had I been informed about the potential dangers that plastic holds and how ingesting it in anyway can cause cancer, endocrine disruption, sexual dysfunction, etc.

Anything more I can do? Am I set to work with all this protection? Am I being too paranoid?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>18024886
Wanna know why firefighters used to die a lot after they finished their job? They'd take their masks off after a fire was done burning.

The fumes from plastic would work their way through their bodies kill them in their sleep when they went home. Plastic burns some bad shit, OP. It can't be stressed enough that you're not breathing in even a bit of that shit.
>>
>>18024886
Find out exactly what kind of plastic.
Google "[kind] exposure dangers"
>>
>>18025479
From what I know, its a lot of different kinds of plastic that's been shipped from various companies.
>>
>>18024886
Just like the anon above mentioned, the plastic fumes stay on the firefighters, which is why they get sick. I worked as a cleaner for large scale, reused cooking oil containers, and the degreasers we had to use, would burn us if we weren't careful.
At the end of your shift change your clothing, take the clothing that you worked in, a plastic bag then, when you get home get it to the wash, and wash yourself afterward.
>>
>>18024886
Nah, that would be enough, really. Most plastics can be harmful only when inhaled or digested(and in this case the danger is more of a "will it get out through my asshole" kinda danger). Most of the effects are from prolonged exposure during several years.
Extrusion lines melt plastic, not burn it, and there is a significant difference. When any sort of a polymer burns, in violently reacts with oxygen, creating all sorts of potentially dangerous chemicals. When heated, say, in an industrial electrical heater, it should be fine, unless there is a fire.
So goggles, respirator and gloves should be enough to keep you from harm. But change your clothing too, just to be completely safe.
And watch out for plastic burns. Those are nasty as shit.
>>
>>18024886
If at all possible buy a biohazard suit that can be washed after work every day and shower after work every day. Put suit in bag between leaving and washing so as not to let fumes/smell escape.
>>
>>18026448
>>18026473
>>18026476
I changed my clothing, never put it into a bag or washed it right away. I've also been here a little over 2 years, so I don't know what kind of damage might have been done to my body.
Probably just going to put in my two weeks, kinda sick of this place anyway.
>>
>>18026842
Ok well don't come crying to us when you're jacking it in San Diego. Srsly job market is bad these days.
>>
>>18026872
I understand what you're saying, but I live nowhere near San Diego. There's job openings where I live, I'm not quite worried about finding a job, just worried about the one I'm currently at.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.