[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is getting a degree absolutely essential if I want to be a 3D

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: homework.jpg (59KB, 960x641px) Image search: [Google]
homework.jpg
59KB, 960x641px
Is getting a degree absolutely essential if I want to be a 3D modeler/Animator or video game programmer? I really just want to get stuck in a dead-end job doing something I have no passion for but I also really don't want to suffer through 2 more years of school.
>>
You can learn on youtube, and follow along with a keyboard map of the commands. Gonna need a tablet and pen, a good processor, just a good pc in general. I wanted to do this for a while, still do, but, gotta invest in a better pc to even start.

I dunno about getting hired really, because in my case, I just wanted to keep it a hobby and upload my games for free, probably set up a go fund me or paypal donation button or whatever.
>>
>>18024470
Can I ask what you do for a living? Just curious
>>
>>18024493
Not what I wanna be doing.

I do any kind of work to survive really. Paint, handyman type jobs, power washing, anything.Used to be a roofer even.
>>
>>18024443
i worked in videogames as a musician for a couple years, lots of the programmer guys didnt have degrees, but some of them did

some of them had degrees in other things but they taught themselves how to code because they were smart as fuck and probably legitimately autistic

im just talking out of my ass cause i dont know about that stuff but that was what i observed.
>>
You can teach yourself but having a degree always looks good.

Also, you will make connections with people going into the same field as you (which can help you with job hunting in future) if you go to college.

If its a good school, they will help you with internships and getting a job.

If you don't go to college, you're pretty much on your own with making connections and getting references
>>
3D animator here.

Essentially, no one in the industry will care whether you have a degree, but you will never be part of this industry, unless you have the network (which you only get through school, I get my buds jobs all the time), or just insanely good so that everyone wants to have you (which doesn't happen, unless you live in a country with a small to non-existant industry).

That said, it just won't do for you to "do it on the side". You will compete with people who do this all day, every day (some people have heart attacks, because they work so much, which isn't good... but it shows you how passionate and serious they are, it's their life).

I would never hire someone who hasn't gone to school, mainly because it shows you are easy to work with and not a creepy outsider.

Also be prepared to spend lots of money on book, programs (esp. if you want to do it professionally), equipment etc.

Also, I'd suggest spending at least 1 year on a traditional art foundation before going into this. Non-artists just fucking suck at 3D (unless they do it for engineering, but we're talking entertainment), because they can't view their scenes and setup through an artistic lense.
>>
>>18024443

Not really, no. A strong port folio will get you into indie development scene and a few years there will get you into larger companies.

Source: 3 1/2 years in the indie scene in unrelated role.
>>
>>18025953
How do I get into the indie scene? Do you think I have to move to San Francisco?(from Florida btw)
>>
>>18025960

There are a lot of communities out there who discuss games they are working on, share, collab etc.

Best place when it comes time that you actually want to put your skills to the test would be indiegamer.com

I can relate 2 things to you. My own experience, and what you will likely have to do if you are set on skipping uni.

What I did:
Started uni degree in public relations, with previous experience in moderating and doing volunteer community management for shitty little forums and clans. Dropped out of uni 1 year into degree when I got job offer that sounded perfect for me. Worked with that 5-10 man team for 2.5 years. Left them, started doing freelance community management and PR for indies.

For you:
Your chosen role requires what is called hard skills. This basically means you actually need to learn a more clear cut skill and create actual content. As oppose to soft skills which are mostly wanky stuff like promotion and the stuff I do. This means you will need to spend time learning that skill. Which could take you years depending on how dedicated you are.

Once you are at the level you feel you can create models that can actually be put in a game, you approach teams offering unpaid work or profit share. You do a bunch of jobs and build up a port folio.

When you have a port folio, you start to keep an eye out for paid work on sites like indie gamer. Reddit has a decent /gamedevjobs subreddit which is pretty good too. You cold call email small developers to see if they need additional assets.

You work in the indie scene until you either have an extensive enough port folio and honed enough skills to move to AAA (if that is what you want to do, personally I prefer kicking around in indie games).

For working in indie games, you almost definitely will not have to move. I have done literally every job I have worked remotely. For AAA you almost certainly will have to. California is good, Toronto, Germany. Options everywhere.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.