[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My best friend got an amazing job opportunity recently. It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1483791586814.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1483791586814.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
My best friend got an amazing job opportunity recently. It's for a web developer position. He skipped a few steps in the interview process, because the CTO of the company is "in love with him" (his words, not mine). He was given quite a simple task that he had to finish in a week, to determine his skill level and whether or not he got the job.

Unfortunately, he has next to no experience with web. Since I've been working with it for almost 6 years and have had an amazing job for a year now (straight outta college), I offered him my help. I told him I'd teach him as much as possible, and help him finish the tasks, but I wouldn't solve anything instead of him. He asked me a ton of questions, and I reviewed all of his code, giving him pointers on what he should fix and try to steer him away from bad practices. He finished the app, it worked, but his code was still pretty weird. He submitted it, and got a few positive reviews from the employees so far, but it looks like he's getting the job.

Now I'm a little salty. When he told me about the job, he said he'd be getting paid twice as much as I am. We both kind of agreed that if a company is paying him that much, there's no way he's getting the job with no experience, but he's got nothing to lose. Now that it looks like he's getting the job, I feel bad he'll be getting paid twice my paycheck, his work environment will be much better to learn - as opposed to mine, where there's no one that I could learn from. I'm still genuinely happy for him, but I don't know... When I got my job a year ago, I was so proud of having a better salary than both of my parents, and now he's getting twice that.

How do I not feel salty and support my friend? How is it fair that he'd getting such a great job but he didn't even have to apply? They contacted him first...
>>
Life just isnt fair. Better just come to terms with it. Doesn mean one should stop trying to succeed because some else gets it easy or undeserved. Just say fuck it, let the envy flow away and live on.

Or you could just fuck him over big time:)

But you will regret it.
>>
use this opportunity to work there. Wait a couple of weeks and then "Hey anon, where you work is awesome. Do you think they are looking for more eng? We can split the referral bonus." You end up with an interview easily, split the bonus so more money, have nicer job and environment. You only win from this, don't be pissed. You know you are technologically ok to join as you helped him. If you say exactly this during interview:

>his work environment will be much better to learn - as opposed to mine, where there's no one that I could learn from

I would hire you for sure, nothing better than someone showing he's willing to learn and take the long hours to do it.
>>
>>18023868
>use this opportunity to work there. Wait a couple of weeks and then "Hey anon, where you work is awesome. Do you think they are looking for more eng? We can split the referral bonus."
That places his friend in an awkward position where he has to ask his boss something that's really inappropriate for a newbie to ask
>>
Sounds like your best friend is a bit of a social manipulator who likely has compensated for his own technical incompetence with the 'best intentions' of others.

My most effective critical question would be:

"Why did you feel it was appropriate to essentially score him a position he is/was unqualified for?"

I suspect that's not gonna b an easy q to answer. Best of luck!
>>
Never compare yourself to other people like this.

If you're unsatisfied with your job, start looking for a new one. If you believe his social skills gave him an advantage, practice your social skills.

Drop the scarcity mindset. His success doesn't impede yours in any way. If you want more for yourself, put in the effort.
>>
>>18024100
This. You're just being jelly and doing nothing about it when obviously you feel like you're qualified to do so. Don't be crabby that YOU don't want to step outside of your comfort zone.
>>
>>18023892
most company, and startups, have a referral program. There's nothing to ask. Just need to say to hr he found him online. HR will ask how to contact OP and nothing more, they only want the resume and will move with the regular hiring process. If OP is good enough he will get the job, if not he will be filtered by the process.

This kind of referral program exists for small to large sized company. Even recruiters give you 1k bonus for referring a good candidate.

I think OP can land the job without a referral anyway if he wanted to. In the end the referral gives only a cash bonus.
>>
>>18024121
>This kind of referral program exists for small to large sized company.
Not every company. Your advice is based on a very large assumption. If there isn't a referral program, then it'd be completely inappropriate for OP's friend to ask.

>I think OP can land the job without a referral anyway if he wanted to
Did you not read the part where OP's friend was sought out by the company? He didn't apply for anything, they approached him.

The most OP can do without placing his friend in an awkward position is ask his friend to give him a heads up on any vacancies that he hears about. Anything more is overstepping boundaries
>>
>>18024138
This is mostly true, but there's absolutely no problem a few months in if the OPs friend has gained ANY type of decent relationship with his supervisor(s) or boss that he wouldn't be in a good place to give a boost to the chances of his friend getting hired by asking. This is assuming, of course, that OP actually wants to work there specifically, and that OP hasn't spent some time finding a new job since he feels he's qualified for the tier of job his friend got and there are always others out there.
>>
>>18024149
>there's absolutely no problem a few months in if the OPs friend has gained ANY type of decent relationship with his supervisor(s) or boss that he wouldn't be in a good place to give a boost to the chances of his friend getting hired by asking
Sure, but right not is not the time to ask that sort of thing. I'm not saying he can never ask, I'm saying that it's inappropriate to ask now.
>>
>>18024138
>Not every company.
It's a tech company, so yes there's one.

>sought out by the company
Doesn't mean there is no "vacancy". Techs are always hiring, that's why there's recruiter looking for workers. There's always a [email protected] email to send your resume and they check all of them.

Your points are valid for someone applying to be a barista or cashier. Not tech jobs unfortunately.
>>
>>18024159
Haaa the "let's see later" argument. Not very productive.
>>
>>18024165
>There's always a [email protected] email to send your resume and they check all of them.
So why doesn't OP just send their resume to that email address? Why does he need his friend to put in a word for him?
>>
>>18024159
No, but in your last post there you made it out as if it would never be an appropriate thing to do. It's definitely a great move in the not too distant future if he does good work, especially if he knows OP is "better" at the job than him and will make him look good for bringing OP aboard.
>>
>>18024172
I mean, I'm the anon he was responding to, and there was no argument at all there. He was pointing out a very true fact.
>>
>>18024175
If he wanted the referral bonus. It can be 8k or 12 sometimes. It's worth if there's one.

If he doesn't want it he can just apply. As I said in my previous posts.
>In the end the referral gives only a cash bonus.
>>
>>18024191
OP doesn't give a fuck about any hypothetical bonus. He wants a job there. If it were that easy to get the job, he'd have applied instead of whining about it here.
>>
Apply for the same position
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.