[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some help deciding work transportation... I work in downtown

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 11651.jpg (7KB, 183x275px)
11651.jpg
7KB, 183x275px
I need some help deciding work transportation...

I work in downtown Chicago, and I take the train there everyday. It is about a mile walk, taking 20 minutes to get there. As much as I like to walk, I want to get to work quicker.

I have a skateboard, but it is not for cruising. I am wanting to get trucks and new wheels to make it into a transportation board and to ollie up curbs ect on the way to work.

The only issue is the size. I am also debating on getting a penny board because of the size and it is a true cruiser. The only issue is, I wouldn't be able to get up some curbs with it.

Any advice on what would be the better option?
>>
>>18020530
penny boards are bad in general. They're tiny, heavy, and the wheels are barely big enough to get over cracks that would make you eat shit on a normal skateboard.

Also, they're so fucking hard and awkward to ollie that it makes it not worth it.

Best suggestion I can give is to get a longboard that's a little bit longer than a skateboard and has a tail.

Earthwing used to make one that was 36" had a flat nose but a decent sized kicktail, you can even put a regular skateboard truck on the back and a reverse kingpin truck on the front to make ollies doable but also have it so you can maneuver a bit more easily than a standard skateboard.

For wheels I'd go with something around 62-64mm. That'll give you enough size to ride comfortably but also won't be too big to make ollying up curbs too awkward.

Worst case scenario, get rise pads on your skateboard and throw some bigger wheels on it. Look into Alligator wheels 62mm, Seismic Crybabies 64mm, or Sector 9 Nineballs 64mm which are all decently priced and come from reputable companies.
>>
>>18020530
Two words OP:
Electric Skateboard
>>
>>18020566
>>18020530
To add to what I said:

Two decks worth looking into would be Rayne Mini Bird or Landyachtz Dingy, which are priced at 70 dollars and 50 dollars. Not much more than a standard skateboard deck and they're both relatively small at 28inches which is about the same as a popsicle deck.
>>
>>18020566
I would probably do something like this for the wheels

http://www.tactics.com/ricta/cloud-skateboard-wheels/white-blue-78a

Either 78a or 86a. I am leaning more towards 86a as they will be hard enough to do some tricks on them. Also, I don't want to keep switch out my wheels if I want to street skate

And these for the trucks:
http://avenuetrucks.com/trucks/

I have always been interested in these watching vids on youtube. I also have bad knees from playing volleyball for years. One reviewer said they are super smooth as it acts like shock absorbers as they as suspended
>>
>>18020530
Counter suggestion from someone pushing 40 who has lived in Chicago his whole life: don't use a skateboard on the sidewalk, especially not downtown during rush hour. You'll save a couple of minutes, but you're going to be a pain in the ass for everyone else around you and at some point you're going to find yourself in a fight over it. If you've GOTTA shave that time off your commute, get whatever is going to work best in the bike lane.
>>
>>18020629
Yeah, 86a will be good enough for your use. There really isn't a reason to go below 80-82a since the wheels feel too spongey and wear out too fast.

Can't comment on those wheels specifically, but one of my friends swears by avenue trucks for park and street skating. I've tried them a few times and they're really good but a bit too turny for me personally (this probably won't be a problem since you're wanting to be able to cruise as well)

On your knees - maybe get a compression bandage? I wear one on my left leg when I skate for similar reasons.
>>
I am looking at 55 or 58mm

What do you think would be best?

I have a knee brace, but never wear it
>>
>>18020732
in response to >>18020635
>>
>>18020785
in response to >>18020732

ignore>>18020790
>>
>>18020785
>I am looking at 55 or 58mm
Probably 58mm

standard skateboard wheels are 52mm and get stuck in cracks all the time. I'm not sure how the roads/sidewalks where you'll be commuting are, so it's hard to say.

58mm will still be small enough to have a similar feel to a normal skateboard, but large enough to cross most small cracks/bumps in the road.

iirc the standard wheels penny boards come with are 55mm and those are able to get over small cracks but still get stuck relatively easily.

For my cruiser I use 72mm wheels which is overkill but that's because I live in a rural area and the roads are either really great or like skating on the moon or something.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.