[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Computer Science a good degree? I'm in USA btw Also

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: computer-science1.jpg (669KB, 1280x1240px) Image search: [Google]
computer-science1.jpg
669KB, 1280x1240px
Is Computer Science a good degree? I'm in USA btw

Also I dislike programming, but I seem to be decent at it which is why I am thinking about doing this.
>>
i'm in the exact same boat as you buddy
hope somebody with experience can tell me if this actually is comfy or if im being a fucking retard
>>
>>18018139
>>18018165
Look at how saturated the market is with CS grads. Do you think it will be comfy?
>>
>>18018169
Don't forget the cheap outsourcing too. Plus, people are learning programming on the side to upskill. Unless your grades are really good, there's no point to a CS degree.
>>
I finished my BS in CS 3 years ago. Here's my advice:
1. Depending on the school programming might be more or less important. Either way you should understand the logic behind it. Learn a silly easy language like Java or python before studying. You'll be ahead of others.
2. You should like math and you should be good at it or have the will to work hard on it. Depending on the school you'll have more or less math classes. The applications later on depend on you having a mathematical mindset while solving problems.
3. It's all about solving problems and optimization. If your gut tells you, you don't like that, don't do it.
>will it be comfy
Stupid question and you shouldn't chose your major based on that. This mindset will crush your grades and you'll drop out.
5. If you only achieve average grades all the time, change your major. It shows that you're not passionat about it and you won't be able to hold a job without passion.
6. The oversaturation is a thing, but this applies to all of STEM. CS just happens to be the easiest of those fields, that's why there's more people in there.
7. Get a good study group. Can't stress the importance of this enough. This might make or break your success.
8. You should be comfortable learning many many new technologies and little languages on the side. Wanna work for Autodesk? Ok, let's learn mel this Sunday and write several useful plugins that don't exist yet. Etc.
9. Don't get involved with politics and religion (windows mac, vim, emac abloo bloo, nobody gives a fuck, in the end you need to be able to use everything, when asked).

>>18018177
Bullshit. Outsourcing doesn't happen in good companies anymore, because they realized Indians are shit at programming. Also having a CS degree doesn't mean you will be programming.
And concerning outsourcing, you might see banks etc. having contractors which outsource small parts the can't solve to companies in the Ukraine or Poland, because there's serious geniuses down there.
>>
>>18018480
Also, people learning programming on the side won't have the theoretical foundations and will write slow unoptimized shit code.
>>
>>18018139
Let me put it this way OP. There is a reason why they call compsci people code monkeys
>>
>>18018139
If you don't like it now, you're not going to like it when you have to do it for a living.
>>
>>18018480
>they realized Indians are shit at programming
Yes, a country of 1 billion + people, who are increasingly going into STEM, are all shit at programming. That makes sense.

>>18018488
My boyfriend taught himself and he does just as well, if not better, than people he works with who studied CS.

I'm sorry your degree isn't as valuable or sought after as you thought it was, but ignoring the reality doesn't change it. If you have a stable, well-paying job, that's great, but that doesn't mean that it's everyone's experience, nor is it a guarantee.
>>
>>18018177
Nah, it's easy to get yourself way out ahead of everyone else. If you're decently smart and make an effort you can comfortably put yourself in the top 5%. Meanwhile the bottom 20% are borderline retarded and still make money with their own businesses.
>>
>>18018535
>If you're decently smart and make an effort you can comfortably put yourself in the top 5%
But if everyone is doing that, it gets competitive and harder to be in the top 5%. I mean, not many people go to college to half-ass their studies
>>
>>18018507
> If you have a stable, well-paying job, that's great, but that doesn't mean that it's everyone's experience, nor is it a guarantee.

I worried about that... are my internships good enough... is my degree respectable enough... I'm I behind on all the modern technologies etc. It was on my mind almost every day at university.

When I did graduate and put my CV online I got calls the next day. Then every day after that for a month (must have been 4 months actually, they kept calling at work so I changed my number). I took a job with double the salary I asked for, now I'm looking at quadruple. I don't live in a "hot" area at all, I'm semi-rural in a place no one cares about.

All I'm saying is that the pessimism is ridiculous. Especially people who make zero effort and then try to drag down everyone.
>>
>>18018539
No they aren't; yes they do.
>>
>>18018560
How much money you making if you dont mind? Just curious.
>>
>>18018565
£15k -> £25k -> £70k

You can get a good idea just by looking at job ads. The requirements are all written in a bit of an intimidating way, but look for hints like "any framework would be good" to put them in perspective.
>>
>>18018579
25k? Dude thats fucking garbage.
>>
>>18018641
£25k is good money in the UK especially for someone just out of uni. £25k is a little under the national average some people have to work their whole careers to earn that much
>>
>>18018139
It's good pay, but you will be working in an environment which almost exclusively consist of male autists for the rest of your life.

Think again if its really worth it.. i mean, if you don't really have like a sex drive or something.

In case not, go ahead, it's the good pay.
>>
>>18018676
In sweden, a typical dev with 5 years experience earns 50 k SEK / month.

That's ~$5700 before taxes, about $4000 after tax.
>>
>>18018837
Maybe that's more like 10 years actually, when i think of it. I don't think most people get to more than 40 during 5 years.
>>
>>18018488
They don't teach you how to optimize code at universities either.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.