[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My boyfriend's obsession with professional wrestling is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault.jpg (177KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
177KB, 1280x720px
My boyfriend's obsession with professional wrestling is fucking up our relationship.

First off, I'm not being a dick because it's WWE, WWF, TNA etc. I would be this upset if he spent his time watching anything.

I knew he was obsessed with it, as we've been together 3 years. But we moved in together quite recently and it's kinda been a shock. I'll get home around 7 several nights a week to find him watching wrestling, I'll cook dinner, and then go to our room and eventually bed, where he joins me around 1, so I'm often already asleep.
This makes me feel shit and underappreciated and lonely.

The worst thing though, is that while I think he watches wrestling a bit much, he spends like all his time complaining that he doesn't get to watch enough. He said he wants to watch about 60 hours of wrestling a week. He also listens to wrestling podcasts all day at work.

The other day was a big red flag because he came and met me, and was in a better mood than I've seen him in in sooo long. He'd been out hanging out with his friends and was really talkative and happy. But the next day, he said he really regretted it because he could have and should have spent that time watching wrestling? He said he doesn't want to see much of his friends anymore because of this.

I'm getting really worried, because anytime I mention wrestling even slightly negatively, he gets really angry and said he doesn't watch enough! I don't want him to be reclusive, and I definitely want him to give anywhere near the amount of time and energy he gives wrestling to the relationship.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What can be done?
>>
>>18015793
hahahaha

that shit is for white trash 10 year olds

call him a fucking retard and dump him

wtf, lmao

Is he literate? Does he drive an 80s camero?
>>
>>18015793
You sand like an ass OP. The man has a passion for something, a real passion for it, and you want to take it away from him? Your selfish OP, an he deserves better than you; someone who he can share is passion with and who has the same passion as him
>>
Leave him, he deserves someine who loves wrestling just as much as he does
>>
>>18015793
Get off /adv/ heelwife

WIVES RUIN LIVES
>>
>>18015793
Well I spend on average 60 hours a week playing video games. I'm actually at 90 at the moment.

Yea its not healthy. You need to find a way to show him the life isn't just wrestling.
>>
>>18015793
The big question here is why are you wasting your time with this guy?
Presumably he possesses some redeeming qualities which is why you want to solve this.

If you haven't already, try positively to show him a wider view of the world rather than denigrate his pro wrestling obsession. Hopefully that is enough to bring the obsession down to a more sane level.

If he still chooses to absorb himself in that stuff, well it's his life and fair enough, but you have to accept that he's a waste of time, at least for you, and you both ought to go different directions.
>>
lol. any guy who watches this shit at all is definitely not husband material. honestly not even boyfriend material.

if i found out a guy i was into spent his time this way i would drop him immediately. you can't expect to have a good life with a dumbass loser who's into "professional wrestling". i know you just moved in with him, but for your own good you should get out now and avoid any such men in the future.
>>
>>18015838
I have though, but anytime I take him to a party or ask if he wants to go to a cafe or something he says he has wrestling to watch and then spends ages catching up on it when we get home.

I just don't know what I'd do if I left. He's a real source of calm for me, he has a lot of good qualities.

>>18015843
To me, I see it as the same sort of thing as a guy who's into video games. I don't think it's really cringe or anything, but I'm definitely not into it myself.
>>
File: 1484856565485.jpg (187KB, 530x424px) Image search: [Google]
1484856565485.jpg
187KB, 530x424px
>>18015793
Dump him. Real men play video games.
>>
>>18015793
ARE YOU READY FOR THIS SUNDAY NIGHT
>>
>>18015847
It's not cringe that he likes wrestling...it's the fact he puts so much time into it and hinders social events over it that's the problem. We can all make a bit of time for guilty pleasures but 60 hours just seems insane to me.

I reckon with a little time, you could find someone that fulfils the same redeeming qualities and doesn't spunk away his time as badly as that, but that of course is only as an outsider looking in and not being able to feel what you feel for the man.
>>
>>18015847
>To me, I see it as the same sort of thing as a guy who's into video games. I don't think it's really cringe or anything, but I'm definitely not into it myself.
okay. you're free to do what you want with your life, but i would personally be too ashamed of such a guy to introduce to my friends or family. maybe it's because i come from a well-educated family.

husband material men are the sort that will take you out to romantic restaurant theaters. that put on actual plays, not like a cinema. i guess some girls must go for the classless dregs like your boyfriend though. maybe he's funny or something?
>>
>>18015847
Wrestling is so much more embarassing than videogames it's hysterical. I would be embarrassed to meet somebody into wrestling. I made fun of kids for that shit in junior high, let alone a grown man.
>>
<My boyfriend prefers to spend his time looking at half naked men instead of paying attention to me

Why does this upset you?
Get him a PVR or something for Valentine's day, and have mad sex 24/7 with your gay boyfriend.
>>
>>18015871
>theater
>better than cinema

Woah, slow down there amiga, live theater is dogshit compared to film. The visurality of image is far more profound than dialogue that drones on for five hours.
>>
>>18015882
>>18015882
She doesn't really believe that. She just wants to project how classy she is.
>>
>>18015882
both have their place, but really. the best date i've ever been on was to a candlelight theater. gourmet dinner served in a romantic setting, followed by an amazing play. you order dessert before the play starts and they serve it during intermission :)

we've been three times now and i'm hoping sometime he gets season tickets as an anniversary gift.
>>
>>18015874
>>18015876
>>18015867

Look, I don't want to break up with him.
I'd have to find somewhere to live, and he can't afford our rent on his own.
I also love him, but I just want to know how to fix this. Breaking up isn't an answer I'm looking for.
>>
File: 5F8qDfY.jpg (419KB, 1799x993px) Image search: [Google]
5F8qDfY.jpg
419KB, 1799x993px
Grown woman who likes wrestling here some of these comments are making me feel bad kek

Good on you OP for loving him and not wanting to break up.
It's not really his hobby that's the problem but his obsession. I think you should take that angle when talking to him about it. Don't put down wrestling at all, just talk about his relationship with his hobby and how it's negatively impacting his life, from your point of view.

Tell him about how you loved seeing him so happy and how disturbing it was to you that he would trade that happiness for just watching wrestling alone. Take a sympathetic angle of wanting to understand him first and then you will have better idea how to help him.

Also at least he's not this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppfvKDsEgP8
>>
>>18015912
Okay.

I am loathe to advise staying in a relationship out of convenience but if you are committed to keeping it together then these are the options I see:

>continue trying to show him more of the world and get him engaged socially

You said you have already tried this, but you have to keep doing it. He obviously doesn't see his habit as a problem that needs to be fixed, and that's his right, so you need to be smart and not treat it as such. Start small, and don't be too out of the blue.
For example, could you use lever his love of wrestling to make him want to work out more? Aspire to be a bit more like his idols?
Are there other things he enjoys that are more productive that you could encourage him to expand upon or old hobbies that he could reconnect with?

>Identify an underlying issue which is causing the withdrawal into the fantasy world of wrestling if applicable

I don't know your man's psyche so I wouldn't even venture a guess at this one...maybe he just REALLY love pro wrestling.

> Have an open and frank discussion

Just let him know straight up about how you feel and don't worry about shitting on his black-hole of a hobby. It will force him to make assess what he values more and may lead to option number two above.
If you don't, and you are committed to staying in the relationship you seem destined for unhappiness to me.
>>
>>18015888
Wow, my favorite date is when I fucked my gf 6 times in one night.

But I did watch Youth (2015) for the sixth or seventh time today.
>>
>>18015912
How much could his trailer possibly cost a month?
>>
>>18015871
you sound extremely pretentious.
>>
>>18015959
If making fun of a dude for drinking keystone light while watching 60 hours of professional wrestling on a crt television in his trailer with an 86 camero parked outside while his girlfriend Betty-May uses the family Gateway to dial up AOL to 4chan and complain about it is pretentious then maybe you're right
>>
Dump. Not even worth discussing further.
>>
>>18015959
girls like a good reason to dress up in nice clothes and engage in modern culture. and we like our men to support us in this. just how it is.
>>
>>18015912
Kek mentions finances before love, yeah you definitely love him

>>18015930
Awww, guys be nice to her and apologize
>>
>>18015966
fucking lmao
>I'm so classy and educated
>muh upmarket resteraunts with genuine theatrical experiences
>muh passive agressive remark about classless dregs
>lol he must drink keystone light and live in a trailer park because he watches a lot of wrestling

Don't get me wrong I hate wrestling too, but you sound like a grade-A uptight bitch who thinks way too highly of herself.
>>
>>18015987
that post wasn't made by me btw. i'm the girl, that's just another person who understands that pro wrestling is definitely a deal breaker.
>>
>>18015987
Come on, that shit was funny and you know it

pro wrestling is for white trash 10 year olds

what the fuck grown man watches that shit

it's even more embarassing than being a sports nerd- by a lot
>>
>>18015966
What a fucking leap that was.

If you're willing to make a jump like that to insult someone? Yeah, you're extremely fucking pretentious, and probably a snotty piece of garbage human being to boot. Humans are allowed to be passionate about different forms of entertainment; you have every right as a person to regard something as "low brow", but take ownership of your own perspective for what it is; that doesn't make it a reality. I would make it a point to not have any sort of in-life interaction or relationship with you.

>>18015793 (OP)
OP, I like wrestling with other hobbies, but I make it a point to get off my computer and spend time with my girlfriend. The times when I really do want to watch wrestling, I tell my girlfriend that I'm going to do it over potential "us" time and she's extremely supportive; she even went and cooked me dinner while I watched the 6 hour Royal Rumble last week.

Talk to your boyfriend and explain to him your feelings. If he doesn't attempt to be better about his habits, then falls short of your set expectations, you're better off without him.
>>
>>18016007
Yeah well I cooked him dinner when he watched Royal Rumble too. I even watched some of it with him. I try and be good, and of course he's gonna have hobbies that aren't me but its fucking lonely sitting in our room with a book for hours at a time, many times a week.

I don't know when to have an open discussion about it because he's busy when he's watching wrestling, and if he isn't watching it, he gets so defensive and angry whenever it's mentioned.
>>
>>18016007
Yes, because insulting people is super funny. Listen, here's the deal, that shit is more embarassing than wearing a Pantera tee shirt. Like it's more lame than wearing walmart brand sneakers. If you told me you watched pro wrestling as a grown man I would wonder if you can read and write. I would wonder if you successfully learned long division.

It's like when somebody pulls out a flip phone today. It's like what went horribly wrong with this persons life.
>>
>>18016024
You're really not doing anything for your side of the argument.
>>
>>18016018
Have you tried the angle of making it about *you* when you talk to him?

Tell him your needs aren't being met and it's actually damaging your relationship.
>>
>>18016024
I have a flip phone for work. Seems like a weird thing to judge someone for.

My other phone is a samsung galaxy 6. is that good enough?
>>
>>18016029
What side of the arguement. That shit is funny.

It's like if you watch the Fast and the Furious movies unironically. It's worse than having a Boondock Saints poster. Like oh my god dude. I haven't met anyone who watched wrestling since Jr. High and I made fun of those kids then.
>>
>>18016038
Does your work involve time travel?
>>
>>18016042
I'd love to hear some more of your lifestyle choices.
>>
>>18016029
Honestly though dude, you may as well say you enjoy watching Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles.
>>
>>18016051
Or Star Wars or Iron Man.
>>
>>18016048
You mean things I think are lame?

Wearing cargo shorts. Wearing clothes from kohls. Being fat. Not working out. Going to a chain barber. Wearing Old Spice or Axe. Owning Beats headphones. Listening to the radio. Watching television with ads. Watching drama television. Eating hot pockets or pop tarts. Eating at McDonalds.
>>
>>18016057
Exactly. Superhero movies are such complete dogshit. Only fucking retards keep going to see them.
>>
>>18016063
You remind me of my spoiled cousin who will literally spit on a pair of shoes if they didn't cost 200 dollars even if you can get the exact same ones for 50 bucks at another store.
>>
>>18016063
Haha no. I mean things that interest you. I bet you have one or two shameful interests yourself.
>>
>>18016018
I watch alot of wrestling too so I kind of know what its like.

Why not see if he'll compromise or something. Maybe you watch some wrestling with him and he watches a show you like and you can bond that way? Just a thought.

If he doesn't want that then get strict and tell him how it is. Tell him he watches too much wrestling and doesn't spend enough time with you. If he tries to turn it around and make you into the bad guy tell him he can just record the show, or he can watch it on Hulu (I think it's free on Hulu) and mention its uploaded every week.

If he truly cares about you he'll change his watching habits because if he's just watching WWE that's already 5 hours not including a 4 hour PPV on Sunday. If he's watching TNA as well that's like another 2 hours or so on Thursday which is just insane. No one should be watching that much television.
>>
You gotta speak your man's language.

Get him over the coffee table, put his head between your legs and nail him with a Pedigree.

If he still ain't playing ball, you lock in that Figure Four Leg Lock until he will. Woooooooooo!
>>
>>18016072
>I bet you have one or two shameful interests yourself.
She's already on 4chan, so that's one.
>>
>>18016071
The same exact ones? Or the same brand but shitty looking ones?
>>18016072
Not really. I wish I were under 12% bodyfat but that's about it. I overexamine most decisions I make and can write an essay about pretty much anything I like.
>>
>>18016080
kek'd
>>
>>18016083
They were the shoes she wanted but she told my uncle she didn't want them because he bought them at Kohls.
>>
>>18016083
What do you like? We keep asking but you won't answer.
>>
>>18016090
Kohls doesn't sell shoes that cost that much. They sell the outlet nike/adidas shoes and basic chucks and vans. There is no way they had 200 nikes/adidas at Kohls. Footlocker doesn't even carry the 200+ dollar ones very often.
>>
>>18016093
I like music, movies, and stand up comedy.
>>
>>18016095
The point is, she got what she wanted but she was a fucking cunt who rejected a gift JUST because of where her dad bought it.

And you just exude cunt.
>>
>>18016097
Which movies and music?

>stand up comedy
Well this is pretty fucking embarrassing.
>>
>>18016024
Yeah, you're adding nothing to the discussion nor did you counter any of my points, nor do you understand perception or the "theatre" aspect of professional wrestling. That's pretty pathetic. Enjoy your suck-fest linear normie life, buckaroo.

>>18016018
If he's defensive about it then he is being a child. If you say to him that "this is important" or that it's hurting you and he acts defensively, he really isn't worth your time. I'm a wrestling fan and I understand that the WWE alone produces 8+ hours of new wrestling content every week, but he's being unhealthily obsessive and there's give and take to any relationship. He's being selfish and more so he's taking from your good feelings and intentions and manipulating them. I'd say drop him and call him a fat sweaty mark when you do; they're plenty of relationship red flags to go off of.
>>
>>18016110
How, stand up is great. It's one of the most under rated forms of theater. The entire notion of a man simply talking and entertaining a crowd by doing so is wildly impressive. In a world where media is heavily edited and polished, wher other stage acts have music and a multitude of actors, that a man can still entertain simply by speaking is very impressive. The wit and delivery of these people to come up with and deliver original thoughts is also impressive. Not only that but the ability to bring up social commentary and personal philosophy while doing so brings it artistic merit. Comedy in film is drama in discuise. Stand up comedy is philosophy in disguise.
>>
>>18016104
The point is that Kohls and Walmart clothes are shit. I guarentee that they werent the same shoes. You're probably saying that dad bought Tony Hawk shoes and the chick asked for Vans. Sure they're both plimsoles, but homegirl is going to get made fun of on the bus on the way to 10th grade because daddy bought the outlet shoes because they were 20 bucks instead of 40.
>>
>>18016129
Crafting jokes and monologues and then repeating the every night for months on end to a crowd of simpletons pre-disposed to laugh at you because they came literally paid a ticket to laugh at anything you say is not remotely interesting or impressive.
>>
>>18016136
She was happy until she asked where he bought them.

You're literally just a cunt and so is she.
>>
>>18015912
you need to take him to a wrestling match lel, no but maybe he has some goals by watching so much. Maybe he wanna be a commentator or something. ask him
>>
>>18016137
Oh, no? How much have you written? Do you even get laughs with your group of friends? Can you even make a presentation without being nervous? A good comedian also does crowd work and can roll with the punches while staying calm and commanding the audience. From what you're saying you must not enjoy comedy at all and need only the hard drama of the wrestling ring. Comedy is so under rated it's insane. Comedy is harder to write than drama.
>>
>>18016140
Yeah, I'm your cousin because I don't wear shitty kohls clothes. You dress like shit, I'm sure.
>>
Watching wrestling is no different than watching literally any other tv series. Since everyone says "oh it's fake, it's drama" and that's what tv shows are... And it's a lot better than watching anime. Anime is for fucking children and virgins.

It's a real shame WWE went to shit after the Attitude Era though.
>>
>>18016148
I enjoy comedy just not the format of a guy standing around telling jokes. It's boring. The social commentary is usually extremely shallow and obvious. Like I said, it's something simple people enjoy.

Contextual or situational comedy writing, like for a tv show or movie requires more skill because you have constraints to work within and still make it funny. Stand-up comedians have a blank slate there's not as much challenge and not as much wit required.

>>18016153
>You dress like shit, I'm sure.
How? Because I called you out for being the shallow cunt you're so quite blatantly proud of being? I'm surprised you don't wear it like a badge of honor.
>>
>>18016160
>sitcoms are more difficult

Are you kidding me? You have no idea what you're talking about. Sitcoms follow simple formulas and state next to nothing in terms of social commentary. The fact that it is a blank slate is what makes it more creative. The sitcom formula involves having 5 disparaging characters be friends. Then you have the break off into two parties per episode and come together. Usually the comedy is derived from one party knowing something about the others relationship but needing to keep it secret. Then there is just the embarassing ones self jokes that are reiterated and the stupid character. All sitcoms need the stupid character.

https://youtu.be/kTI5DTE-rxs
>>
>>18016187
I didn't say a sitcom you illiterate cunt lmao.

God I hope you're literally 14 and will grow out of this phase. Then you'll look back when you're an adult and realize what a fucking retard you were.
>>
>>18016191
Sitcom stands for situational comedy you fucking retard. You used it in the second paragraph.
>>
>>18016205
"Sitcom" refers to a very specific format of television show.

Situational comedy is a broad term that could be applied to movies, performances and comedy shows that do not necessarily follow the "sitcom" format you described.

Stupid bitch.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170202-193201.png (283KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170202-193201.png
283KB, 1440x2560px
>>18016209
>>
>>18016243
Yes a sitcom is situational comedy. Good job we already covered this.

However situational comedy as a concept is not defined by or restricted to the "sitcom" format of television shows, as the show is literally described by the term, which obviously existed before the first sitcom ever broadcast or before television even existed.

Situational comedy is even used in standup routines sometimes you fucking dumb whore. You know the whole recalling humorous anecdotes thing? Granted most of the time in the context of stand-up comedy they are bullshit and didn't really happen, but that is a example of situational comedy.
>>
Fuck, if he actually sits through both raw and smackdown, and 205 plus NXT. That's a shit ton of filler. What else does he watch? AAA, CMLL, NJPW, ROH, LU?
>>
>>18016024
>all wrestling fans are illiterate

This actually made me laugh pretty hard. I can't be that angry since I held the similar opinion that 'wrestling is dumb and the fanbase is white trash' for the longest time. I wouldn't even say I'm a casual wrestling viewer or fan now, but I've been dragged to watch PPVs or had friends buy me a ticket to events. I had genuine fun at those despite not knowing any backstory or wrestling terms. Meeting other people at those events made me realize the fanbase is incredibly varied and while there is the trashier fans you have normal, every day people there also.

The friends dragging me around trying to get me into it are well educated and very, very well off also due to their families and careers. They're a far cry from 'white trash'. The general attitude I get from fans (at least from the adults) is that they don't take it 100% seriously at all, have their favorites and enjoy the excitement and atmosphere of the events. It just feels like a sporting event honestly. Cheering, boos, chants, singing, etc. just with some violent theater in a ring.

You can go ahead and keep thinking fans are trashy idiots. It makes no difference to me or the fans enjoying it. I'm just letting you know I thought the same stuff but I was incorrect.

As for the OP topic of watching 60 hours of wrestling a week...no. That's too much and it wouldn't even have to be wrestling. I think a talk is in order.
>>
Fuck, if he actually sits through both raw and smackdown, and 205 plus NXT. That's a shit ton of filler. What else does he watch? AAA, CMLL, NJPW, ROH, LU?
>>
>>18015793

I'll just say that I've experienced that kind of obssesion with many things... But I have Bipolar Disorder. Just saying.
>>
This thread got taken over by this horrible snobby bitch. I feel bad for the dude that has to put up with that cunt.
>>
>>18016427
Yeah, I get the feeling that it's either /r9k/ LARPing as a woman. Although, as hard as it seems to believe, terrible pretentious assholes really do exist.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.