[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv. When meeting and talking with a new person. Is is better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1396680984328.png (705KB, 3304x3317px) Image search: [Google]
1396680984328.png
705KB, 3304x3317px
Hey /adv.
When meeting and talking with a new person. Is is better to :
a) assume the person's beliefs and arguments to be valid
b) assume the person's to be incompetent with misled beliefs whose arguments are not to be taken seriously

With a) you risk being tricked or misled by a genuine idiot.
With b) you risk hurting relationships with people who are not idiots.
>>
How about c) listen to their beliefs and arguments and evaluate them yourself instead of going in with preconceived notions of whether they're right or wrong?
>>
>>18012861
this. what the fuck is wrong with you op?
>>
>>18012861
But you need to make an opinion before that.
>>
>>18012861
>>18012873
Also, discussing all their beliefs and arguments might take a lot of time. Question is about giving them reasonable doubt during that time.
>>
>>18012873
Are you telling me you don't have your own beliefs, opinions and values? That's absolute bullshit.
>>
>>18012873
Your opinion can be that their beliefs are valid until demonstrated otherwise

This is such a weird question I've never thought of human interaction from this angle before
>>
>>18012848
Oh, so this is what they call "autistic"? Makes sense now...
>>
>>18012881
So, if someone comes along, and tells you that you will live forever if you give them 100$, would you believe them? And if asked for clarification, they would spend 4 hours talking about what sounds like a nonsense? Would you still believe them?
>>
>>18012901
So basically, the answer to OP's question is "it depends."
>>
>>18012916
Depends on what?
>>
experience has taught me that it is better to go with option b.
experience has taught me that it is better to act as if you went with option a.
experience has taught me it is best not to interact with people at all.
>>
>>18012929
That actually makes lots of sense. Didn't occur to me to think something different than how you seem.
>>
>>18012925
Depends on whether it is something someone would actually have an incentive to bullshit about. If someone tells me "I work at Starbucks, my job sucks," I'm just going to believe them because who cares? If someone tells me they are a millionaire with a ten inch penis them I will be more skeptical. There is no "one-size-fits-all" policy to believing people.
>>
>>18012848

maybe try being open minded :^)
>>
>>18012848

take each belief as they come. you dont need to change your opinion right away even if someone shows you why you might be wrong, whats important is to reflect.
>>
>>18012901
you don't need a pre-formed opinion about the entirety of the persons belief system to reject that claim as soon as You hear it.

as someone said, judge each statement or belief in its own merits. if the person has a pattern of erroneous beliefs then you can make a judgment.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.