[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I ask my family for a bit more respectful treatment in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1466.jpg (22KB, 480x336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1466.jpg
22KB, 480x336px
How do I ask my family for a bit more respectful treatment in return for the financial support without making it seem like I'm demanding for them to beg for it?
>>
>>18012087
What's the context?
>>
>>18012090
Mom asks me money for mortage. She spends money she doesn't have. My sister lives with her. She doesn't work because of her depression.

They don't approve of my lifestyle so I try not to tell them about it, but sometimes I'll slip and mention something.
>>
>>18012157
Dude, my dude, nothing is going to make these people stop treating you like shit. You can give them an ultimatum and say that you're not going to support them unless they show you more respect but I'm guessing they've been perfectly content with treating you like shit and they're not going to want to change. What would they be doing if they DIDNT have you there to pay their bills?
You need to tell them it's sink or swim
>>
>>18012087
Very simple.

>I'm doing a lot to support this family. I would appreciate it if you showed me some respect.

And if nothing changes, you stop supporting them. Actions speak louder than words.
>>
>>18012166
They've looked after me in return, though.

>>18012169
How do you make that not sound pompous and demanding?
>>
>>18012187
The tone of your voice. Speak assertively, but not with anger or frustration. No hint of snarkiness or attitude. Just a normal, matter of fact tone of voice. Like you'd use when speaking to a cashier.
>>
>>18012187
Yeah well you're enabling their lifestyle. If that's what you're okay with then enjoy because things aren't going to change. They have literally no reason to change their behavior. Why treat you with respect then they can keep treating you like shit AND still get their bills paid?
>>
>>18012192
They'll demand for examples and argue every single one down as a sole incident, or justify them by other means. I don't live like a saint, they do have the right of that.
>>
>>18012157
You a gigolo? hitman? twitch streamer?
You should stand up for yourself and defend what you do, not act as if you're buying their respect, because that will net you none.
>>
>>18012207
I take most of my calories (and spend most of my grocery money) on alocohol, smoke cigarettes and associate with heterosexual men, some of whom have a criminal record. I might have even seen hte weed once.

They don't know half of that, though. But they disapprove of the glimpses that they do hear.
>>
>>18012087
>>18012205

Listen, exchanging "money" for "respect" is weird. No way to make it look nice. I know the point is that you help them, but when money is involved things turn sour.

Do you live with them? If you don't, then live your life and minimize contact (if they make you suffer). If you do live with them, you fucked son.
>>
>>18012348
I got out on new year's. What mom is asking now is some reinbusements for the winter's bills and vet money for my sister's dog. He is a very good boy who doesn't deserve any of this.
>>
>>18012366

Wait, so they helped you out and now you are just "paying it back"? Dude, suck it up and don't ask for more.

I know how crappy a nosy family is, believe me, but it's not like you are sacrificing yourself to save their asses. You are giving back what they already gave you.

Plus, and this is hard to hear, you can't really ask them to change. You can say "I'm an adult, I live my life" but if they want to be assholes they will. No amount of money you throw them will give you respect.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.