[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: X0vfSN0.gif (4MB, 531x354px) Image search: [Google]
X0vfSN0.gif
4MB, 531x354px
Tonight I was having a few drinks at a bar with some friends and I notice one of them not really in the flow of conversation, not really taking anything in, something is on his mind. I ask him whats up, he says something is worrying him. I ask him if he wants to talk, he says forget it.

Later on we're grabbing food and its just us, we're talking about nothing in particular and he mentions theres something he wants to tell me, but he doesnt want to make it a thing until he knows for sure, I tell him ok, we can talk when he wants. And I move the conversation on and try to cheer him up, I think it works.

He's wants to tell me something, but is hesitant to mention it. I want to be prepared, I think its serious, maybe something to do with his health. How do I engage properly? I have trouble knowing what to say when people want to open up about something dark/unpleasant. Someone will say something, and the only thing I can say is "Im sorry" or "that sucks". I have a very open mind and Im not judgemental. People have their issues, I certainly have mine, but I want to respond appropriately when some one gets the balls to open up. I know how hard it is to do, and I want to be properly supportive.

What I really want to do is say to him "I know something is on your mind, I want to let you know that whatever it is you have someone to talk to. I care about you and I can see this is bothering you. I dont know if I can help, but I want you to know Im here to listen, you dont have to worry about judgement from me." or something to that effect. However, I dont want to disappoint, how do I properly respond if he does want to open up?
>>
>>18011397
Just say what you just typed. tell him he can trust you and you're there to help him. That nothing he can say will make you think less of him.

I'm telling you this as someone who's been on that guy's end. He's crying for help man.
>>
>>18011397
I'm not sure you really need advice on this, I think you will kniw exactly what to say. Be as compassionate and honest to him as you are now, you're doing fine.
>>
>>18011403
This.

The rest of the conversation will flow naturally. Just be honest and don't talk down or be overly nice. Be fair and supportive.
>>
>>18011423
Ok, so I say this to him, somehow, at some point. I cant just text him it out of the blue, I feel like I gotta meet up with him, but i dont want to put him into a corner either. I gotta find a way to make it organic.

>>18011403
But that's the thing, Ive been in this situation before, and I did not respond well. One of my friends one time opened up to me about his childhood, how he had to live with his grandparents, and then moved to a different state with a completely different culture and no friends, how he acted out in school and ended up in juvenile and some of the shit he had to deal with. I didnt know what to say, I clammed up. All I could say is "im sorry to hear that" and "that sucks". Part of this was because we were high, and I can barely communicate when the subject is light, nevermind some deep, uncomfortable shit. I felt extremely bad, I didnt know what to do. Do I comfort him? How do I do that? Ive never experienced anything close to that. How could I relate?

What I want is for them to feel like they're being listened to.That I care about what they're saying, that opening up was a good decision and not a mistake. How do I convey that properly?

I'll be honest here, I'm expecting him to drop a cancer bomb on me, he's been having some medical issues lately, he's told me he has to get some tests done. I think the whole "I dont want to bring it up until I know" was a major clue to that. What do I do there? How do I respond to that? I cant give him advice, I cant tell him what he should do if I were in his shoes. I feel lost.
>>
>>18011397
You're worrying about the wrong thing. Your role in the looming conversation is not to SAY anything but to LISTEN. He needs to talk about the thing, to free it from being bottled up inside him, and to hear himself saying it out loud. Your being there to hear it is really just an excuse for the other things to happen.

(I once got very painfully dumped by a gf. My circle vaguely knew about it, but only one guy sensed how really unhappy I was. He took me aside, sat me down and said "Talk." I will be forever grateful to him.)
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.