[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Work night audit a hotel >in the back doing paperwork

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: 54366324.jpg (2MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
54366324.jpg
2MB, 2000x2000px
>Work night audit a hotel
>in the back doing paperwork last night
>heard a commotion by the computer area
>stick my head out and see two guys on the ground with their backs to me, one on top of the other
>close the door and call the cops
>cops are here two seconds later
>basically one drunk guy got beat up. 16 stitches. half on one side of his head, half on the other with a bootprint
>i go over the security video with a cop, but we don't have a camera watching that part of the hotel
>why? cheap owner. but i can see who comes and goes through the exits
>aggressor took off, cops looking for him
>ems puts the guy in recovery position
>drunk friends come back from the bar behind us and find the cops and ems
>drunk wife crying, i bring her tissues
>drunk friend of the guy is arguing with me because i don't know, he keeps repeating "you have cameras on this spot!"
>i say "i'm working on it with the police"
>i spend the night cleaning up pic related
>finish up my shift and send my boss an email with the details of what happened
>boss calls me this morning, is supportive but says that the wife says she called the cops and i was "nowhere to be found"
>i'm livid, but i tell my boss that's ridiculous, i was with the cops when they came back from the bar
>i also mention you can see me on the security footage the entire time and on the phone, then a second later a cop arrives
>boss says "i know, i just had to ask. it's not like you're gonna stand there as some guy is beat up"
>boss mentions if i ever feel unsafe, to let him know"
>i say i understand, and thanks

A couple things though...
>>
File: 2VWl7tH.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
2VWl7tH.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
My phone's history has no 911 call placed. Which really fuckin' worries me. I'm not worried about this incident, but what if something happened in the future and I ever needed to prove it? I noticed it when I was going over the footage with the cop. He asked me who placed the call, I said I did and pulled up my phone history. It has the cops calling me back at a later time, but not when I placed the call out. I KNOW I used my cell phone. If you dial 911, does it not show up on your cell phone or something?

Second thing, I'm wondering if I should get a concealed carry permit. I live in Florida and did some research. It seems the only thing stopping me would be my workplace. They can't legally tell me I can't, but realistically they could find some way to fire me. Second thing, not sure I could carry it concealed in a way that's easy to get to. I could get a compression shirt holster but I couldn't get to it unless I just ripped off a button on my shirt and grabbed it that way, which isn't ideal because it'd take a second or two. I'm thinking an ankle holster would be best. Concealable, easy to get to, esp if I'm robbed and on my belly. The details of this I'll just ask /k/. What I really want to know is how /adv/ feels about carrying a gun. I'm trying to get an unbiased opinion. I've done a shit load of research, and my grandfather just got his permit as well.

I don't give a fuck about company property or cash or even if there's a fight not involving me. I worry about being attacked or held at gunpoint. I'm 5'8, 150lb, never been in a fight, have shot plenty of guns growing up in rural vermont, but now I'm living in Florida. It would also be a fun hobby as a side benefit. What's /adv/ think of all this?

pic related, me pre-clean. Give you a sense of how I dress for work.
>>
>>18006169
first things first, you're a qt.

>911 call
who cares? it's not your responsibility to stop them from fighting. if 911 called you back, they definitely have and keep the records of you calling them. even the tape is probably recorded. The 911 tape and security cameras will exonerate you.

No idea about guns in Florida.
>>
>>18006164
man, sorry for your night. /adv is really slow... my thread about me and insecurity is on front page, but only 1 answer. if i do this in /b/ i would have thousands but many crappy answers...

for your story i would say to you contact a lawyer now and keep him informed and ask tips... you never know if the wife or the guy try to pin on you with omission or something

ah, living in america i would suggest to do a lawyer insurance
>>
>>18006173
>>18006169
oh and RE: carrying a gun.

I live in Idaho. It's quite normal to carry a gun all over the state, I would say the majority of people here own guns.

I'm skeptical of the reality of using guns in a real situation like that without real training. Studies have shown that most people tense up in situations like that if they don't have military/police/similar training, rendering your gun useless or potentially a liability (guy sees gun, shoots you kinda thing).
>>
>>18006169
I'm sorry for your night. Just wanna say: be careful with guns, OP. I know you want them for a legitimate reason, but just be very safe with it.
Take my advice, even though it wasn't exactly what you were asking for; believe me this could ruin your life.
>>
>>18006173
haha thanks.

I guess you're right about the 911 call. I'm thinking in a different scenario where I'd need to prove it, but I suppose if things were that escalated we'd just use the police records.

I'm not asking about guns in Florida, but carrying a gun in general.
>>
Apologies if the blood bothered anyone. /adv/ doesn't let you spoil and I wanted the gravity of the decision to be clear. I don't take potentially getting and using a gun lightly.

>>18006178
sry, didn't see your post so quickly.

Yeah. I read a John Hopkins University study the other day that regardless of what gun, or where you place it in your home (secure vs unsecure) you're more likely to be the victim of a gun-related death.

>>18006192
>believe me this could ruin your life.
Oh yeah. I shoot someone in even slightly ambiguous circumstances? I'm fucked. The only time I think I'd ever shoot someone was if they charge me by jumping over the front desk, or I'm robbed. I would only pull the gun if I was physically threatened, and I'd obviously dial the police immediately. I have zero intentions of playing cop. However, I know you need to be 100% ready to kill someone if you're going to pull your gun, and to never ever use it as an intimidation device, because all that does it escalate. I don't want to escalate.
>>
>>18006164
Re GUN

Exactly where in your narrative would it have helped to have a gun?

I can count several places where a gun might have tempted you or someone else to do something very stupid.

You did the right thing - got to where you could call the cops.
>>
>>18006598
I agree.
I understand OP is in fear of his own life in a future violent event, but really, how could a gun have helped in that case? what are the changes OP would actually be assaulted?
>>
Wouldn't a pepperspray or a taser make much more sense? No need to escalate a violent situation to a lethal one.
>>
>>18006598
This, and
>>18006622
This, especially for work.
How fucking often are you involved in drunnkard fights? I'm betting not often since you're this scared and shook up about it. You're fine dude. What I see is a scared little shit who most DEFINITELY should not be carrying around a gun, because the second you see a drunk throw a sloppy punch you're gonna get triggered and go rambo on everyone out of fear, when beforehand nobody was gonna die.
Just call the cops and stay out of it. Because the only other thing I gotta say is your boss's comment of "I know you're not just gonna stand around and watch someone get beat up"
Because lol, yeah I am. I'm not risking getting beat up myself over what I'm assuming is a minimum wage job. I'd fucking do exactly what you did, call the cops bc that's THEIR job to deal with, and watch from a safe place. I'm not jumping in.
>>
>>18006598
Nowhere, that's why I said,
>The only time I think I'd ever shoot someone was if they charge me by jumping over the front desk, or I'm robbed.

MY life has to be reasonably threatened. I would never shoot someone with their back to me or running away. I would never shoot anyone unless they have a gun aimed at me, or are running towards me in threatening circumstances and verbal instructions have failed. If I get a gun, I have zero intentions of escalating situations, or like I said, playing cop.

I'm just wondering if it's worth the cost, time, potentially killing someone, potentially fucking up my life, but potentially saving myself if something where to happen. It's so hard to really say how much of a risk I'm ever at, you know? So many pros and cons.
>>
>>18006237
Is it at all possible that people who live in bad areas and are scared of getting shot are more likely to buy guns?

Absolutely stumped my liberal commie Psych prof.
>>
>>18006639
A gun is only going to elevate the risk of someone dying (that someone can easily be yourself). Locking yourself in a backroom and waiting for the cops is the superior action.

Even if that guys had beat the other to death tonight, the right course of action would be not not get involved. It wouldn't have been on you. You are a freaking minwage teen bro.
>>
>>18006639
Yes.
If someone's robbing you, just give them the fucking money. What's worth more to you, potentially risking your life even more by missing/having the gun jam or malfunction/not getting it fast enough, or your employers cash?

For me, the idea of living with the knowledge I killed someone, even in self defense, even if it was justified, is far worse to me than losing even my own cash money or any other material object.
I can just deal with it in the court systems later. If I'm getting robbed at gunpoint, I'll just give them the goddamn money.
>>
>>18006639
It is good to believe you wouldn't use a gun.

But what if just showing it drove the other guy to panic? Th best sort of self-protection is avoiding dangerous situations in the first place.
>>
>>18006638
nice shitpost

>>18006622
I've been thinking about this. The issue is that effectiveness drops significantly with pepper spray or a taser. A taser's not going to work in any distance, if the attacker has a gun, if the attacker has baggy clothes, etc. You're more or less physically fighting at that point. Pepper spray is similar in application, but it relies on pain and discomfort to disable. It's a shit ton of pain and discomfort, but yeah. Same with the distance, risk of blowback, etc. And knives are retarded, I'm not getting a knife for self defense.
>>
>>18006649
>Guy comes in
>threatening/demanding cash
>decide not to pull out gun
>he sees the bulge of the gun
>kills you in fear of retaliation
>>
>>18006666
>if the attacker has a gun
So you would try to draw on him if you had a gun?
>>
File: 1476140921249.jpg (26KB, 308x308px) Image search: [Google]
1476140921249.jpg
26KB, 308x308px
>>18006666
>guy has a valid point but I still don't like it
>Uh, shitpost
>Hah, that'll show em.
>>
>>18006661
I mean, it'd be a black gun in a black holster under black pants behind a desk. I'm looking at a glock 26 with an ankle holster.

>>18006658
How will I know the criminals intentions?

>>18006654
I'm 25 and not making min wage but I hear you. I hate to be a dick and say this, but I've mentioned that I did everything perfectly in this scenario and that I'm not looking for a gun in this case.

Let me try and rephrase my thinking on this;
I vividly remember one guy who started verbally threatening me, saying he's going to use the knife in his pocket and stab me. Why? Because I was sold out on a Saturday night. I called the cops and he was charged. What if he was slightly more unstable? What if he was slightly more pissy? That's what I'm worried about. I'm not worried about people fighting each other, or property. Is that not reasonable?

It's so hard talking about this without bias because most people are tribal as fuck and "guns are evil" on one side, and "you need a gun cause the world's ending" on the other.
>>
>>18006687
"Give me your money"
Usually is a good sign you're being robbed. Give them your money, let them run off, call the cops.
Random murder is pretty rare man. If you're gonna be killed, its most likely gonna be done by someone you know, and since your guard will be down since you know them, defending yourself is unfortunately gonna be near impossible. Best way to avoid getting killed is to avoid pissing people off.
>>
>>18006164
Having a gun will make it easier for you to kill
>>
I live in a country where guns are forbidden for the average citizen. You can only have them after a lot of checks and only in your home. Shoot anyone outside the premises, even if you're in a gunfight with someone by your fence in the outside, and you're screwed.

That said, I don't think your line of work and place of living demands thay you have one or your safety. You have every right yo have one and I encourage you to do so and train yourself, I just don't think you actually NEED one.

Also, if you do, pick a revolver if you're not going to use it regularly. Gun maintenance is probably cheap in usa, but a revolver demands much lower maintenance and regular usage, so you can just keep it stowed for years and use it reliably when you need.
>>
>>18006707
Honestly, this.
I live in the shittiest, most crime ridden area. I literally have a trap house selling meth for neighbors. Even I don't feel the need for a gun. Sturdy locks on my doors keep the hoodrats out, I don't fuck around with the druggies and just leave them be, and I'm 100% safe.
Never once feared I'd get killed living there. I'm even a 5'3, 120lb white girl who stumbles home from the bar a mile away once a week drunk at 3am. Never had a problem. Fear is a hell of a drug, and America is GOOD at making that fear their leash on you. They overblow everything in the news to make you feel like you have to fear walking to your own bathroom in the middle of the night to take a piss. Reality is, statistics and probability is on your side. Don't involve yourself with shady shit and 9.9 times outta 10, you'll live your life just fine. Most people getting murdered are criminals themselves. Might be petty crimes even, but none the less, criminals. Live a clean life and you'll likely not get hurt.
>>
>>18006169

Florida's a shall-issue state, you won't have an issue getting the permit.

Most employers will tell you you can't carry at work; it's far better PR for you to get murdered than to kill someone defending yourself. That said, it may not be enforceable in the first place, and if you're concealing properly, no one should know.

Your tucked-in shirt leaves not a lot of great options. I don't think ankle holsters are terribly common for concealed carry, given that you have to go to the ground, hike up your pants leg, and then draw your weapon, which is all pretty conspicuous and takes a long time. Talk to /k/ about your options.
>>
>>18006687
>It's so hard talking about this without bias because most people are tribal as fuck and "guns are evil" on one side, and "you need a gun cause the world's ending" on the other.

I'm one of the guys telling you it's a bad idea and I fucking love guns. I have been in the military and I still shoot on a regular basis. If you want to get a gun you should definitely go ahead. My problem is that your thoughts about using it for self-defence seems illuminated by a power fantasy more that a sober evaluation of your possible defence scenarios and their risks.

In the scenario you describe a gun wouldn't have help you. If you pull you gun and shoot him as he threatens you, you're getting in serious trouble. But you will not be able to pull out the gun in time, if he actually follow up on his threats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHEdUo

The best option in the scenario you describe would definitely be pepperspay.
>>
>>18006727
Why would I shoot him if he's only threatening me?
>>
>>18006740
You wouldn't that was the point. And you wouldn't be able to use it if he lunged over the counter with a knife. The gun would be useless.
>>
>>18006727
You're probably much better instructed than I am, but ain't pepper spray too weak against people under influence or just too crazy?

I had a class once with a guy from our special pollice force and he said most pepper sprays are a joke. He even let some out in the car with his parents in a trip just to laugh at them.

However, I mentioned above that I live in a country where most self defense methods are outlawed, and if I recall he said the pepper sprays here were very watered down due to our legislation, so I don't know if what I said in the first paragraph applies in the US
>>
>>18006752
You said you carry, under what circumstances would you ever pull it (or have)?
>>
>>18006752

See now, most people have eyes that can see a knife, and legs that can be used to create distance to more safely draw your firearm.

And unless you were the POGest of POGs, you know it actually is possible to train and develop personal defense strategies and situational awareness within the constraints of appropriate use of deadly force.
>>
>>18006718
>I'm even a 5'3, 120lb white girl who stumbles home from the bar a mile away once a week drunk at 3am
I'd advise you to stop doing this.
>>
>>18006671
>concealed carry
>doing it poorly

You deserve it.
>>
If your job involves enough danger that you'd consider a gun and you're too much of a pussy to be able to de-escalate or win without lethal force you need a new job.
>>
>>18006846
21 foot rule. Drawing, readying, and firing a weapon takes a lot longer than you think.

Guns as self-defense are pretty shitty outside of very specific situations and concealed carry basically removes the ability to use its ability to intimidate.

That said I live in Florida and saw something pretty fuckin' funny. These two guys were hanging over a guy's shoulder at the ATM trying to get his PIN. He spun around and put his left arm out and his right arm behind his right pocket. The thugs ran like hell without noticing that he didn't actually have a holster or gun.

Dude stopped a robbery with miming skills
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.