[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My mother is elderly, she lives with me. She doesn't like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Frustration stock photo.jpg (44KB, 625x350px) Image search: [Google]
Frustration stock photo.jpg
44KB, 625x350px
My mother is elderly, she lives with me. She doesn't like her immediate family, and the few friends she has live thousands of miles away, so they only talk through an occasional phone call. I'm what she's got in terms of social interaction, and I try to humor her as best I can, playing scrabble and cribbage and talking, etc.

But lately she's gotten interested in television, and she's been watching a bunch of new shows and documentaries about every which thing. As I said, she has little to go by in terms of friends, so she's started discussing them with me. After watching one she'll come spontaneously into whatever room I'm in and start talking about it with me, and whatever else she's got on her mind. These conversations, which are basically just her rambling and me trying to pretend I'm paying attention, go on for HOURS, and it's driving me up the wall, especially because most of the time I haven't even seen whatever show or documentary she's rambling on about.

I don't know what to do. I feel really bad cutting her off and saying "I'm busy", or some other excuse, because she is really starved for social interaction and I'm all she's got on that front except a very few far-flung friends.

What should I do?
>>
>>18004993
Talk to her earnestly about wanting your space/privacy. If that doesn't work, stick her in a home.

I know the second option sounds terrible, but it's your life. Please understand, I've had a bad relationship with my own mother so I'd be less sympathetic than you likely are.
>>
>>18005022
The second option isn't available to me. I have thought about it, but
1. I just don't have the heart to
and
2. Her family does like her, despite the feeling not being mutual. I can't even imagine how they'd react if they found out I put her in a home.

I'll try talking to her about wanting my privacy, though.
>>
>>18004993
is their a senior citizen center in your town?
>>
>>18004993
>After watching one she'll come spontaneously into whatever room I'm in and start talking about it with me, and whatever else she's got on her mind. These conversations, which are basically just her rambling and me trying to pretend I'm paying attention, go on for HOURS

This kind of sounds like the onset of senility - Maybe you should get her a computer and let her shitpost on 4chan all day
>>
>>18005084
Like >>18005096 kind of said, there are senior apartment complexes. Maybe you could look into that? It's like the home, but less stigma because residents are independent.

If the talking doesn't work out or change anything, I mean.
>>
>>18005102
>Maybe you should get her a computer and let her shitpost on 4chan all day

Ha. I wouldn't be surprised if she is going senile, though. She's been having some memory problems, and it can't be easy being all alone in the house all afternoon while I'm out at work. I'm not too worried though, her family doesn't have a history of dementia or mental issues arising from old age.

>>18005096
Not an option, unfortunately, due to complicated family reasons. If she it turns out she really is senile, though, I could put her there. But I highly doubt it.
>>
>>18005128
>>18005136

Oh, wait, senior apartment complexes and homes are different things?

Whoa, okay, that could work. I don't want to kick her out unnecessarily though, so I'll use it only as a last-resort option. Hopefully just talking will work, she's usually pretty understanding.
>>
>>18005136
If you think her mind is starting to go it wouldn't be a bad idea to at least look at ways to help her out. There might be community programs in the area that specifically cater to seniors. Do you have any pets? Sometimes it's helpful for older adults to have companionship and responsibility. Plus, then she can tell the cat alllll about HGTV or whatever the hell she is watching
>>
>>18005153
We do have a pet, a labrador retriever. She's the sweetest dog in the whole world. Mom plays with her often, usually when I'm out at work, but unfortunately I fear the dog is getting almost as bored as her, just because Mom can't really take her further than the backyard due to her age. I should really set aside more time to take the dog on walks though.

Community programs could be a big help too. Might be a good way to help her meet new friends, actually. Lord knows she needs them.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.