[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How should I deal with an unpaid volunteer position that treats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1473213772031.jpg (192KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1473213772031.jpg
192KB, 1920x1080px
How should I deal with an unpaid volunteer position that treats me like an employee?

I accepted because I want to write more, and it's for a medium size tech website that gave false hopes of "we might be able to pay you if you do well". They seemed nice at first, but now they're a lot more strict. Since I have experience working on websites, they want me to do that, too. Some days, I am putting in 3-6 hours and skipping meals because I have to finish work for them.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking this is too much for free, or is this typical of volunteer work?
>>
>volunteer work

They literally have no reason to treat you any better than a slave as that's basically what you are to them.

Your time is the only precious thing that you have in life.
Don't give it away for free.
>>
That's not typical for volunteer work at all. Volunteer work is generally just a couple of hours a week and they're not THAT strict on you. They usually expect you to do the job but they recognise that you're just a volunteer and that you could walk away at any time
>>
>>17995345

you volunteered to help. they asked if you could do more, and from what we can tell, you agreed. its not wrong for volunteers to be asked to do more. its up to you when to say no.

also please keep in mind that you may only technically be a volunteer, but when it comes to writing, you're really more of an intern. you're putting in time to prove your worth it and pad your resume, you're not out there feeding the homeless or building houses for people.

you're doing this with the hopes of getting noticed. interns and PAs are treated like shit a lot of the time. is it right? no... but they can get away with it becuase some of the 'volunteers' will put up with it to one day get a real job in their desired industry.

should you deal with it? depends what you get from it. you can always scale back or quit but if you become inegral and then threaten to leave they will likely pay you
>>
>>17995345
Walk away.
>>
>>17995345
are you a volunteer or an intern? either way they shouldn't be treating you that way, and as an intern you're supposed to get a lot more value out of the position than the company.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.