[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I'm 22 and I've never worked. I'm straight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: lon-main3-job-1920x800_c.jpg (669KB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
lon-main3-job-1920x800_c.jpg
669KB, 1920x800px
Hey guys, I'm 22 and I've never worked. I'm straight out of technical school, got my comptia A+ certification and can't get a single job after sending out shit tons of applications. I've even sent out for stuff like best buy and gotten nothing. I'm assuming it's because I have no work experience. What do I have to do to get a job as fast as possible. I want to move out of my parents house ASAP and a job is very necessary for it.
>>
How do you get to 22 with no work experience whatsoever?
>>
>>17995022
My parents wouldn't let me get a job till I graduated post-highschool education. Said education alone would carry me to a job. Learned the hard way my parents are fucking morons.
>>
>>17995043
My parents are well-meaning but out of touch boomers who thought the same. 21 haven't had a real job yet.
>>
>>17995043
>>17995044
What do you mean, they 'wouldn't let you'?
>>
>>17995045
Not OP, mine didn't say I couldn't, but they told me to focus on school instead so that's what I did.
>>
File: 1454855478596.jpg (549KB, 1024x1545px) Image search: [Google]
1454855478596.jpg
549KB, 1024x1545px
>>17995045
I can't drive and I would need money for the bus. They said they wouldn't provide any form of transportation if I tried and reliable transportation is a requirement for everything.
Plus
>>17995046
>>
Your parents did you a favor. Work + School is very difficult. Did you get a BS or just an a+ cert? The cert is just a bare minimum thing to work in the field and will not substitute a real degree.

Have you worked on other peoples computers? Embellish a little and list it as your job for the last year or whatever. Have some exact builds in memory incase they ask.

Still, the world is about who you know. Without an in, you just gotta apply like crazy until you get lucky.
>>
>>17995048
Also you will never ever get a job without a license and car
>>
>>17995049
Just the A+ cert. I'm not even looking for anything higher than technical support. I've called the last 3 years "Freelance computer repair" don't know if that's embellished enough.

>>17995054
Well fuck.
>>
>>17995049
>Work + School is very difficult.
The majority of people handle it perfectly fine. If you're struggling to do both, that's a problem with you.
>>
Your CV is probably shit.

Try to pad it out with whatever relevant shit you have. If you ever joined a club in college or highschool, if you've ever helped a friend out with something related to the job, if you have any hobbies, write all that shit down. Then make that random bullshit sound as good as you can. Lie if you have to, but be prepared to back that lie up at interview.

Ex: In college I was an active member of the bullshit club. I worked with other members of the club to ensure that the bullshit we came up with was the best it could be.

I am well-known among my peers as someone they can turn to to fabricate bullshit. For example, I recently helped my friend realise his dream of building his own working bullshit farm.

I also volunteer with That's Bullshit! a not-for-profit group that focuses on bringing bullshit to disabled orphans in the inner city. As part of my role I etc. etc.
>>
>>17995065
Also you want to make sure you sound like a human being. Elaborate on interesting details about your 'experience'. Provide specific examples of how you fit the person specification. Give yourself a catchy byline like 'recent graduate with a passion for information technology'. If you have any hobbies I'd consider having a section where you talk about them, esp if it's video games or anything computer related - baby boomer HR managers love that shit.

Use key words and phrases from the person spec. You can literally copy and paste it. If it says 'we need someone who's a team player' write 'I am a team player.'
>>
>>17995063
The majority of people have majors that require a much smaller time investment than someone in comp sci. Although it seems they did some moneypit comp elec thing instead so the point is moot.

@Op ask your rich ass white parents to help you get a license/shitty car.
>>
You're unlikely to find a job with your certification, since employers will almost always take someone with work experience, even if it's unrelated, over someone who doesn't have work experience.

And you're unlikely to find a job in retail or other minimum wage places if you're putting your certification on your resume because you're overqualified.

I suggest you take off the certification from your resume, get a job and some work experience, and try to find a job with your certification in a year.
>>
>>17995107
I'm studying law and have time for not only a part time job, but also volunteering on a regular basis. Like I said, if you have trouble handling both, then that's a problem with you.
>>
>>17995089
One of my friends is a career counselor and helped me write a nice resume that's pretty dense. Haven't been able to talk to her since she did though to tell her it hasn't worked.
>>17995107
But I'm a poor Mexican!
>>17995112
Well fuck x2
>>
How long have you waited?

After college I put out applications and heard nothing for a couple weeks. Then after those two weeks Safeway got back to me and I took a hell - tier bakery job. 3 weeks after that a local indie bookstore and an organic supermarket got back to me, and I got to work at the bookstore, which was actually enjoyable. 4 months after that I got interview offers from 3 government positions, and I got a 6 month monitoring position contract in West Africa.

So yeah, sometimes it just takes people a little while to get back to you. At least in my experience, the better the job, the longer it takes.
>>
>>17995116
How do you fix this problem?
>>
>>17995176
You work out effective study methods and what works for YOU, not what the internet says works. You also find a job that fits well around your classes, like on the weekends.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.