[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you people actually get anything out of seeing a psychologist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: monroe.jpg (45KB, 627x477px) Image search: [Google]
monroe.jpg
45KB, 627x477px
Do you people actually get anything out of seeing a psychologist? I understand the purpose of psychiatrists, they are real doctors who diagnose and treat real illnesses. Psychologists are different. Paying some liberal arts graduate 200 bucks an hour to listen to you bitch and whine seems like the very definition of a con.
>>
>>17992693
Some can be good. Here's a way of filtering out the crap

>experience
They actually went through depression, substance abuse, or whatever

>age
Don't want some kid fresh out of college thinking he knows everything

>women
Women are horrible listeners especially for men

>whether or not they subscribe to some feminist or left wing beliefs
Nothing to add here

>honesty
You want a guy who will tell you like it is and not beat around the bush
>>
>>17992703
Not op, but similar question.

So why would I pay anyone to listen to me bitch, when there are plenty of assholes here on 4chan that fit that bill?
What does just bitching do to help me with my problems? This is why I hate the idea of therapy and shit. Like, talking fixes nothing. I can talk all day long, I still am fucked up. I know I'm fucked up, so give me a step by step plan to fix it. Therapists can't do that shit, and feels like nobody can if the drugs fail.
>>
>>17992693
psychologists work with psychiatrists to form a complete care team. A psychiatrist doesn't have the time to sit for a fucking hour a week with all of their patients/clients.
>>
>>17992717
>plenty of assholes on 4chan

Because everyone on here is retarded
>>
>>17992717
Therapists can listen to you and give you advice tailored to you
>>
>>17992724
sometimes but in practice they usually either have a nurse practitioner on staff to dispense blue slips or have been through medical school themselves. garden variety psychiatrists will have a therapist on staff. You rarely see a full psychologist and a full psychiatrist on staff without both roles being the same person.

pill solution alone is a bad way to go OP, and that is what you go to a psychiatrist for in practice. It's better, desu, to research these chemicals yourself and make an informed judgement before you hit up any doctor about them, instead of relying on a degree's judgement.
>>
>>17992809
I've admittedly only been privy to a few arrangements, but I've never seen what you're describing.
>>
>>17992693
Psychologists are not just liberal arts graduates.
I'm not one but my brother's girlfriend is and I've looked into her classes when I was in doubt of what I would do for college.
Long story short is that I was really surprised in the amount of biology (mainly anatomy) she had to take.
>>
>>17992703
>>women
>Women are horrible listeners especially for men
this is %100 the best crap filter, OP
>inb4 sexist bla bla bla
>>
>>17992693
I've been to three psychologists and four psychiatrists and it's always the psychiatrists that were utterly incompetent, useless and impossible to talk to. I don't think they're even trained in psychotherapy, they just dish out the meds and change doses.
>>
>>17992834
that's exactly what they do.
>>
>>17992822
At my university there were both arts and science students majoring in psychology (economics was another major that was like this). As a rule it was the humanities crowd who were interested in the clinical side of psychology, while the scientific types were more interested in hard research.
>>
>>17992822
There are B.A and B.Sc for psychology.
>>
I see a psychologist. It has helped me understand more and see things in other perspectives. It's pretty cheap with my insurance so it's worth it for me
>>
>>17992693
Do you people actually get anything out of seeing a physical therapist? I understand the purpose of internists, they are real doctors who diagnose and treat real illnesses. Physical therapists are different. Paying some exercise science graduate 200 bucks an hour to help you stretch and do exercises with proper form seems like the very definition of a con.
>>
read Jung's "Man and His Symbols" before you make any judgements on the validity of psychotherapy.

It's the sort of thing where you don't know the utility until you need it.
>>
It depends- you really need to do a thorough background check to ensure you're seeing an actual committed therapist, and not some ass who just wants to help and has no clinical experience.

Look for publications that the shrink has produced. If they embrace psuedoscience, placebos and other forms of woo, you might as well wipe your ass with your paycheck. It will be a better investment than losing time with them.

I had to go to a shrink after a traumatic incident at work- a mass casualty where I survived a horror but most of my coworkers did not. Nightmares and mood swings forced my employer to order me to go as a condition of continued employment.

It was excellent. My psychologist was a down-to-earth guy who I connected with, who was both kind and very firm, and led me to answer my own questions and address my own problems. No pontificating, no touchie-feelie shit except where it pertained to moving on past what happened.

Bottom line is that it can be a con. It can be a placebo, too, but placebos often work for the ill-informed or those who don't catch on that they're dealing with placebos.
I suggest you discuss a timeline to get out along with goals. A shrink who will not acknowledge that you desire to achieve your goal and move on, rather then be a perpetual customer... well, that's a big red flag.
Psychology CAN be approached as a science, by practitioners- a careful, methodical, scientific approach to a holistic subject like psychotherapy is possible to a modest extent, and is the earmark of a competent therapist, which is why you need to look at their CV just as much as you assess their ability to work with you.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.