[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I serially over-tip. Part of my problem is that two of my friends

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: The_Money_Bin_on_DuckTales.jpg (101KB, 624x478px) Image search: [Google]
The_Money_Bin_on_DuckTales.jpg
101KB, 624x478px
I serially over-tip. Part of my problem is that two of my friends went off on me for being cheap when I was younger, and it's always in the back of my mind that I'm ripping someone off if I don't tip well. Plus, my mom worked for tips back in the day, so she's always been a heavy tipper.

For example, today I tipped $75 on a $125 job because I was uncomfortable talking to the cleaning lady who I couldn't really understand. That's an egregious example.

But I'll tip like 25-30% at a bar or restaurant sometimes, and I'd like to cut the habit to save some money. What's a genuinely respectable tip, and how do I make sure I don't feel guilty, especially in a city built on tips? I always get fantastic recurring service, which makes me feel like I have to spend more and more. Which of course means I'm being taken advantage of.
>>
>>17992515
I can't imagine you're going to the bar enough or eating out enough that cutting down your tips would save you a more meaningful amount of money than simply cutting down on the amount of tipped services you consume.
>>
I tip 20% everywhere unless I really like the server. I think the rule of thumb is 200% of the tax.
>>
>>17992526
"you double the tax, not the tax of Romania."
>>
>>17992515
15-20% is perfectly acceptable. I always go a little over 20% because of the reasons you just mentioned. 30% should be for only really, really exceptional service
>>
>>17992515
I was raised to tip 15% if the service is normal, 10% only if it is especially crappy (the service not the food), and 20-25% if you really like them.

At bars they expect 20%, whether or not you want to give it to them is up to you. In my exp tipping 30% or more will get you served more quickly, assuming you're paying cash and dont have a tab.
>>
>>17992527

How do you think 200% is expressed?

200=x*100
x=2
>>
>>17992542
He was using reference humor, my good lad.
>>
Is tipping a thing out us?

I had never tip before living on spain lol
>>
>>17992556
Yes, most countries that don't have optional gratuity culture will have some kind of service charge anyways though (ie. cuperto in Italy, in Japan places have service charges during busy hours,etc.) so it costs about the same
>>
>>17992556
Yeah, if you're waitstaff in the USA you get paid like $3/hr from the business. Your real wage is expected to come from tips
>>
>>17992573
Is this a flyover state thing because it literally doesn't work this way in any coastal state. Your base wage is the state or federal minimum wage (whichever is greater) by law.
>>
>>17992573
Yeah lol the minimum wage federally for wait staff is 2.13$

Though keep in mind that the tips absolutely have to provide what would be equivalent to 7.25 dollars an hour. If they make less than that through tips, then the employer has to compensate to make up the difference. If that happens they usually get fired.
>>
>>17992580
>flyover state
Keep jerkin yourself off there, bud
>>
>>17992587
Isn't that what they're called?
>>
My country (brazil) adds tips (10 to 20%) by default on the bill, i thino they are distributed to all workers, but you can call them off if you dislike the service. Or if you counted the money before and forgot it, you usually can apologize and no hard feelings.

But i honestly disagree with the us tipping policy. It seriously only propagates the terrible standard of low pay.
>>
>>17992519

I actually go out for dinner or drinks daily. Not the best idea for saving money, but still what I do.
>>
We don't have tipping in my country either. Sounds like too much damn drama to me, judging everywhere... just tip the same amount every time. It's also demeaning really, like giving treats to a dog. And it also makes workers treat rich people much better, which is sad.
>>
>>17992617
> It's also demeaning really, like giving treats to a dog. And it also makes workers treat rich people much better, which is sad.
Welcome to America, as long as you're wealthy.
>>
>>17992600
Wait what, seriously?! I'm Brazilian and I didn't knew that. I just thought we just didn't tip. Huh. Is it different in restaurants like Outback?
But yeah, agree with you.
>>
>>17992613
what I'm saying is if saving money is your primary concern look at how often you're going out, not how much you're tipping. That's where the big bucks are.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.