[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a High School Film teacher in California. This is my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1485035794051.jpg (16KB, 252x255px)
1485035794051.jpg
16KB, 252x255px
I'm a High School Film teacher in California. This is my first year teaching. We just started the second semester and I have a kid in my class that's constantly causing disruptions and problems. Problem is, these disruptions are escalating to near-violence.

Today in class I sent my students off to work on their film projects (we're filming movies for youtube right now) and while I was helping one of the groups, this student comes up behind me on two separate occasions and swings at the back of my head. Neither times connect. Thankfully I had an honest student tell me what what going on so I went and played back the footage that the cameras in my class picked up (my classroom is monitored by surveillance cameras that I control because the previous film teacher lost all his equipment due to a break-in) and sure enough...several times this student had swung at the back of my head. Interestingly enough, the rest of the class he spent standing in the corner staring at me and rocking back and forth on his heels. It...makes me really uneasy.

I reported it to the Vice Principal and he assured me that the student will be punished in kind. But what I'm wondering is what can I legally do if the student decides to throw another punch at me and I see it coming? If I'm being entirely honest, there's nothing I'd want more than to deck this kid out to teach him a lesson but...I'm not about to go to jail over this kid either. Is there a legalfag in there than can advise me?
>>
Not really a legal fag here, but another teacher fag. Or at least, teacherfag in training. Still got another year on my degree.
Idk about cali but here in mo we have a class as part of the degree that's basically legal shit and teaching 101.

Essentially, if the kid actually does deck you, yeah doesn't matter if you're a teacher, you most certainly have the right to press charges.

Now, problem is in our field, we're expected to take the "high road" and be the role model. Therefore, we aren't supposed to use violence unless 100% necessary. If the kid punches you, you still likely can't just deck him back. You'll be expected to subdue him nonviolently. You are the "bigger" adult here after all. If the kid assults you, take his ass to the ground and hold him down until the cops come.

If you fight him back, depends on the laws there. You can claim self defense any day, but he can claim excessive force since you're an adult and hes "just a kid". Legally that's how it'll play out. But letting your emotions get the better of you can cost you your job, and any job in your profession period.
Because lets be real, say this kid decks you. Are you really going to fight him back because you fear for your life, or because you're mad he hit you? I'm willing to be the latter. Take his ass to court, if he's old enough you can get him tried in adult court. That'll teach him a lesson more than a quick punch imo. Physical pain goes away in minutes. Having to pay a hefty settlement and getting a criminal record will hurt him for life.
>>
>>17990301
This is exactly the answer I was hoping for. Thank you.
>>
>>17990311
Yeah theres a distinct difference between what you can legally do and what will get you fired and kicked from the profession.
I'm sure in California you have the right to defend yourself, regardless of your profession. So as I said, kid hits you, "defend" yourself all you want. But keep in mind you will almost definitely lose your job.

Honestly if it were me, if the kid doesn't get any punishment from the principal and/or ever does this noncontacting swing again, first thing I'd do is tell your principal you want him out of your class. He's a danger to you and your other students.
If he does make contact, sue his ass for assault.
>>
>>17990271
Now that you have prior knowledge that this student is trouble, you have an obligation to prevent the unfortunately likely future attacks. If something happens, you could be liable if you didn't report your concerns. If the school does not want to do anything, ask a union rep for advice and help.
>>
>>17990271
You'll probably get fucked six ways from Sunday if you touch the kid, so I would suggest writing this kid up if not outright getting a security guard.
>>
>>17990407
>>17990417
Ive already filed the paperwork and, like I said, have the vice principal in talk about punishment so documentation shouldnt be a problem.
>>
pay another kid to beat the shit out of him
>>
>>17990506
pls and report back
>>
>>17990271
If the student punches you ... and you see it coming. Take the punch and then sue his family and the school district.

State his race. I'm guessing black.
>>
>>17990593
mexican, actually

also update: Vice Principal emailed me and told me intent to punish the student for 5 days of suspension from school
>>
>>17990641
when he comes back, you're not getting punched, but stabbed. you should've used the camera footage to go ahead and sue.
>>
>>17990792
Sue for what? Pretending to do something illegal? Theres nothing I could sue for.
>>
>>17990860
Assault.
>>
>>17990860
Sexual assault.
>>
>>17990923
pretending to assault is not assault

unfortunately
>>
That sounds like that kids has more then behaviour problems. It seems like the kid has some mental health problems as well.
>>
>>17990860
Look. Anon is saying that if this kid is actually insane as you say he is, he is likely to blame you for his suspension and will escalate his violent tendencies.

This kid sounds like he has mental issues: he stays in the corner giving you predator eyes, sways back and forth, and pretends to punch you. It shows that he is mentally thinking about hurting you and is not just impulsively violent. When he gets suspended, he will probably be angry at you and start to think of ways to hurt you even more.

To get to the point: he will probably know that you reported him and he might take it as a challenge to inflict greater harm on you. My mom is a speech pathologist for a high school. If you're in speech pathology in high school, nearly 100% of your students have mental health issues or are immigrants. The mentally handicapped ones almost always take punishment in one of two ways: they take it like a puppy takes it, and get sad, or they take it as a challenge to them personally and escalate their violent actions.

If this kid is like that, then you might need to ask the VP to get some security.
>>
>>17990956
Pretending to commit battery is assault.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.