[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long does it take for exercise to start helping with depression

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Anna-Kendrick-photo_-.jpg (370KB, 1200x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Anna-Kendrick-photo_-.jpg
370KB, 1200x1500px
How long does it take for exercise to start helping with depression

I've been going to the gym five times a week for three weeks now and i'm still super sad and anxious all the time
>>
>>17986343
Exercise isn't a permanent solution to depression.
It's temporary. Usually you'll only feel better for an hour or two after you work out. Then it's back to feeling like shit.
>>
>>17986343

depends what else is wrong. have you addressed the things that make you sad? if so you might be clincially depressed go see a therapist.
>>
Do you have a goal you work towards? If you dont I would say try getting a goal. Lose 20Kg, Become riped, run a half marathon, Push a certain amount of weigh. Something like that. If you work towards a goal and you see your improvement it starts getting better. Gl getting over it mate :)
>>
>>17986358
I've seen a therapist before. I didn't really gain that much from it.

>>17986366
Nah. I mostly just try to jog on the treadmill for about 30 minutes at a stretch. I'm going to try to gradually up my maximum speed as my body acclimates, but I'm not really working toward anything in particular. I'm fine with my body as is.
>>
>>17986382

maybe you should stop thinking about what you gain and think more about waht you put forth.
>>
>>17986382

>nah

then stay depressed.
>>
>>17986386
Oh, sorry, misread your post. Eh. I don't really want to be one a gym bunny is the thing. I just want to be more fit overall and hopefully get myself out of this depressive and anxious rut. Exercise is supposed to be able to help with that.
>>
>>17986349
This anon has a very short-sighted understanding of how exercising is supposed to improve your mood. I don't know the logistics very well, but I think pretty much everybody older than 12 is familiar with the idea that the brain releases chemicals after a person works out. These chemicals give you the short-term high (happiness) that the anon I'm responding to is referring to.

As I understand the subject, the biggest pay-offs of regular exercise come over periods of months or years under at least two (the only ones that come to mind right now) main guises:

1) Weight loss and muscle strengthening: you're going to look good and feel good. You'll feel more confident, you'll have more energy, and you won't feel as sore from performing physical tasks. The way in which all of these things can improve your life should be pretty self-explanatory. Unfortunately, it's going to take months or years to see these sorts of lasting results. To make the journey to high levels of fitness more bearable, record your progress, this way, even if you don't see changes in the mirror, you'll be able to see progress on a spreadsheet, which communicates that you're actually moving closer to your goal every day.

2) Self-discipline: exercising on a regular schedule puts you on a routine, and it trains you to stick to other routines in the future. This also has some pretty obvious QOL-improving effects.

Work out with a friend, family member, or closer co-worker that will hold you accountable to actually go to the gym when you're supposed to. You'll get closer (even if you're not necessarily 'together' while working out) and keep each other on track.

Maybe you haven't seen results yet, but it sounds like you're doing really well already OP. Just be patient and keep at it.
>>
>>17986397

you're ignoring the advice. working towards something builds happiness because of goals. were not saying be a gym buddy were saying have goals, not just do a leisurely stroll.
>>
>>17986401
Pretty spot on. If you're serious about exercising then you better be serious about making a major lifestyle change. They go hand in hand, like this anon pointed out it takes time though. There's a lot of trial and error but when you get dialed you the routine in the kitchen and the gym almost becomes second nature.

>>17986343
Just keep up with it. The two biggest words in my opinion are focus and dedication. Focus on what you're doing until you've perfected it, and then keep on trying to improve. On top of that be dedicated to what you're doing and don't give up. It really takes a long time to see results. Anywhere from 6 months to even over a year for some people. It depends on how dedicated you. How hard and well you train, an how well you maintain the proper diet for your goal. Speaking of diet, this is something you have to start getting dialed in if you want all that gym time to pay off. The bonus of having a good diet is that it typically makes people feel better when they eat better foods.

Just keep up with it, keep your goals simple and easy. Don't set yourself up for failure. Once you reach a goal, then set a new goal. I can't stress that enough, keep your goals attainable.
>>
So what I'm getting out of all this is that it's not the act of exercise itself that helps improve mood and reduce anxiety, but rather the process of setting and achieving goals, with maybe the added bonus of some brief "runner's high"?

That sort of clashes with pretty much all of my scientific understanding. Every piece of literature I've read has indicated that it's the actual exercise (cardio in particular) that helps long-term.
>>
>>17986487

its not one or the other. both are known to help make you happy. if basic exercise isn't hitting you with endorphins then try goals as well.

again, both are known to help. if ones not working try the other.

and like we said from the very beginning, if its not working out it may be clinical, go see a therapist and transition to a psychiatrist if need be.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.