[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>reactivate Facebook account >suggested friends includes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

>reactivate Facebook account
>suggested friends includes a girl I hooked up with 3 years ago
>only texted her, never emailed or anything else

How does Facebook do this? It's incredibly creepy.

Was it just a coincidence ?
>>
>>17983530

facebooks syncd up to your phone. you probably input it and dont remember
>>
>>17983534
I had the Facebook app installed but NEVER log in'd because I forgot I had the app.

It makes no sense.
>>
>>17983543

while on your computer you probably typed in your phone number cuz it claims it needs it for security reasons
>>
>>17983548
No no no.

It was an old phone that I texted her with... 3 years ago... Never had any connection between Facebook and my phone other than just installing the app and letting it sit.
>>
>>17983561

you're probably wrong. facebook isn't magic.
>>
>>17983561
Meta data dude.
>>
when will the fuckbook fad be over
it seems like things just stay around forever now
culture isn't changing fast enough
>>
>>17983543
You probably logged in at one point 3 years ago and forgot. It only takes once
>>
Sometimes Facebook will suggest people that have looked up your profile. It's possible that she was looking at yours.
>>
>>17983604
It's not that at all. Companies are getting smarter and investing in things other than their mainline product. Facebook, Google and Amazon are doing shit all over the place.
>>
Facebook snoops through your phone, contacts, messages, browsing history, and more to create a personalized profile on what types of things to serve you when you log in. It's disgusting and a gross violation of privacy and is the reason I don't use it.

But that's how Facebook found her for you. Somewhere there was a connection between you two so Facebook suggested it.
>>
>>17983530
That can happen if you have friends in common, or have been in/at/around the same place, both of which are likely if you hooked up. That's why you'll also get a lot of people you don't know on your suggested friends list.
>>
>>17983813
I met this lady off Craigslist. I didn't even know her fucking name let alone have friends in common with her.
>>
>>17983530
Your name or email address or something else it can link to you was probably on *her* phone at some point (it doesn't have to still be there) and she was probably syncing her phone to Facebook.
>>
>>17983847
IT. WASN'T.
>>
>>17983848
How do you know it wasn't on her phone? Are you psychic? Did you steal her phone?
>>
>>17983864
She knew nothing about me other than my phone number. I've said this already ITT.
>>
>>17983530
>How does Facebook do this

Machine learning, it is a probabilistic model applied on a network, not deterministic. It's a hit or miss, the algorithm return a few results based on your given information, somehow one hit the person you actually knew, so it sounds very impressive. If you want to know how exactly it picks the person you have to list exactly what you input to the internet that fb can access, the model is function of all of those parameters. If you study statistic, it's analogous to basic linear regression model from the 1800s, but a modern version with a few twists. Google probabilistic graphical model on social network.

I was interested in this for like one month a few years ago. It relies too much on heuristic for my taste.
>>
File: surprise.jpg (92KB, 386x391px) Image search: [Google]
surprise.jpg
92KB, 386x391px
>>17983530
It's called data minig.
Once you understang its possibilities you will be forever scared of companies like Google and Facebook.
>>
>>17983530
It's the same as advertisement. Complicated algorithms, data tags and a lot of data from different sources. Everything you use has data collection, that data is sold or used by those that collected it. The sold data is then also used by other companies for advertisement or refinement purposes. Of course any entity could purpose your data, governments can just force them to give it up.
>>
>>17984075
purchase*
>>
Dude I deleted my Facebook because they asked for my updated phone number. I was creeped out since they asked me to change it the day I had a new phone. I've been without Facebook for years. All it means is they aren't data mining me as hard as others.
>>
There's a lot of ways.
One is via email apps.
Most phones continuously sync your contacts(including anyone you've ever emailed) so long after you've deleted them, the information it sits in your email contact history. When facebook starts pouring through your apps it finds traces like these.

Another way is through sim card ids.
Your phone communicates with your surroundings in ways like you wouldn't believe. It can tell facebook that you spent 5 minutes fairly close to a stranger
>>"You must know them, right??"

Some apps even communicate with each other, like your messenger app might gather info for ads or tell your movie service reads what to suggest to you.

Best thing to do is check your privacy options in depth.
Many places have opt-outs and options to prevent syncing.
This way you can at least reduce the creepiness factor.
>>
>>17983635
THIS. She's just looked at your page. Happens all the time, and it's actually quite normal. Don't worry about it.

What I do if I want to freak someone who is stalking my page out is either put up a public post about them or send them a friend request. That usually gets rid of them.
>>
>>17984787
I know a lot of people would like to think so. But I'm afraid that's not the case.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.