[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here ever moved out of their parents house to go far

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2601.jpg (175KB, 1208x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2601.jpg
175KB, 1208x1600px
Has anyone here ever moved out of their parents house to go far away without a lot of shit?
>>
Me. Moved from the east coast to the Midwest after I landed a job at a large company. I drove down with just my Kia and nothing else. Slept on the apartment floor for 3 days while I waited for my mattress to come in the mail, and had a week without internet while I waiting for Google to show up.

That was last year. Shits been pretty easy ever since. Even made new friends through work after talking with a guy, he introduced me to others.

It's pretty comfy senpai. Though I will say I'm super independent and introverted, so that helps.
>>
>>17972478
Just my Kia and essentials** clothes, cookware, first-aid, stuff you'd bring to a long camping trip basically + computer. Bought everything else here.
>>
Moved from Poland to Peru for a couple of years.
Didn't spoke any Spanish, had like $2000 for living. It wasn't in spite of parents, just wanted to take on this big thing.
Saw most of SA, lived life of a king adventurer and met dozens of interesting people.
I kbow it's not necessarily the most relatable thing to do, but I guess moving out within a country is easier
>>
>>17972537
Well damn if you can do that it can't be that hard. Or does Peru make it so your money goes way farther.
>>
>>17972549
Well 2000 USD is a lot in Peru, but I had several jobs over those two years to support myself. Some were really weird like I've been asked to stand in for a shaman furing San Pedro ceremony in Cuzco for 200 soles.
Generally speaking, it's not easy being 100% dependant on yourself but it's not impossible and the satisfaction is enormous.
>>
>>17972478
I'd love to do this, not OP, but the situation I'm in is that there are no entry level jobs in my area and this is next to impossible as a college grad. All I've got is my good grades because
>Don't work during achool anon! Just fo us on your grades an you'll land a good job
Also I have about $400 to my name but have a gf with a car and about $1000 who's in the same boat.
>>
I moved not very far with absolutely no shit. The economy where I went was better and the population was more educated. I don't regret it, although things are a bit crowded and ugly here.
>>
>>17972574
Can you green text?
>>
>>17972578
>small nj town
>abusive dad
>senpai doesn't help
>move in with friend's dad
>move to the ny metro area
>went on welfare heavy
>can't get a student loan
>depression/anxiety decompensation
>psych outpatient treatment
>start meeting smart, interesting, helpful people
>start finding good shit to do
>better schools around here (philly has good schools tho)
>started finding jobs
>stopped being a shut-in
>started getting gfs
>found a Craigslist room in a college town
>got a grant for technical training of my choice
>>
>>17972578
>>17972601
to contrast, I was just thinking about suicide and spending weeks alone before moving out of that small town
>>
Definitely. Moved from down south to the west coast with just the $7000USD I'd saved up. Went to school and ended up having to work three different jobs in order to support myself. Independence was worth it. Working so many jobs at once while in school: pain in the ass.
>>
>>17972601
You went to ny with your friends dad of left for ny after that?
>>
>>17972611
>>17972621
Yeah no its a central jersey metro area
I think NY is way too expensive and unfriendly
>>
>>17972456
Sure!
When I moved out I took all I wanted in a carryon bag and had my folks mail me 15 lbs of books later.
>>
>>17972569
>>Don't work during achool anon! Just fo us on your grades an you'll land a good job

eh maybe the problem is with your major, because this is true in my case.
People used to tell me pure math is useless, I just laughed and then kept taking pure math courses, those are the only courses I took, gave absolutely no fuck about the industry, given that "practical skills" like programming is important but I feel they are more of something you do as a hobby at weekend and mainly to build toy models for category theory. In August I'm moving to SF Bay Area, job title is "data scientist" kek the only thing related to this job in my CV was probably some predictive algorithm I wrote years ago for theoretical machine learning, I was a bit too excited about perceptron convergence theorem, so I connected to the yahoo finance API, and pulled down daily price data, used the single layer perceptron for linear regression, (this is to predict the stock market price), the result was off by 30% (thanks machine learning!), so I connected to another API, scraped minute by minute data, and stored it in a SQL database, repeat the process with a slightly different perceptron classifier until the accuracy is reasonable. There was nothing interesting or fundamental about it, just heuristic, kinda like plumbing. Most of the job is just picking the right feature in the data set and apply a well studied algorithm to detect a pattern, rinse and repeat. But I will take it as one year off to experimenting a different lifestyle.
>>
>>17972679
>know nothing of programming except intro c++ because no one in my life encouraged it
>was never even exposed to it ubtill college years when i was too busy trying to graduate
Applied math here. Yeah I'm fucked.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.