[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm suffering some kind of identity crisis or guilt or something.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

File: identity-crisis.jpg (10KB, 300x377px) Image search: [Google]
identity-crisis.jpg
10KB, 300x377px
I'm suffering some kind of identity crisis or guilt or something. So me and a small team of filmmakers worked really hard on a short film for a festival that celebrated 'unique voices.' Turns out 'unique' means "Asian, Pacific Islander, Black, Latino, Middle Eastern or LGBTQ and female. Our film was excluded without a single viewing because I am white, and a dude.

That made me feel shitty and super depressed because our hard work was disregarded because of my sex and skin color (which I thought was illegal...) but now my thoughts are going out of control and now I'm having a weird identity crisis and I hate what we are beciming. We are mistaking revenge for equality. We are mistaking justification of exclusion for egalitarianism. And it makes me feel like shit.

Like almost suicide bad. And my therapist tells me stuff like "now you see how the oppressed and minorities have felt, hmm?" And "we'll Anon you've lived in a position if privilege for years. Some things aren't for your kind."

Am I justified in my thinking this is ridiculous?
>>
>>17971822
>Am I justified in my thinking this is ridiculous?
You really aren't. You missed the point of the film festival, get over it.
>>
>>17971822
Sorry anon, there are plenty of film festivals where white males dominate. Just enter it in one of those.

When the industry corrects itself, we won't need festivals like this.
>>
>>17971822
It is pretty ridiculous.

>We are mistaking revenge for equality.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly.
>>
Yes. It's ridiculous.
>>
>>17971828
It's not revenge. JFC
>>
You're absolutely justified. Your therapist is full of shit. So just because someone else was oppressed due to the actions of others, aka NOT ME, I'm supposed to what, be humbled by the experience because my white privilege was showing? No. Racism and sexism is what it is. It's a two way street not matter what anyone says.
>>
>>17971822
Yep.

This was clearly a SJW project for fag SJW's. One shitty bunch of people shouldnt change you. DO not stoop to what they want you to think.
>>
>>17971827
But there are no "just white male" festivals because THAT would be problematic. Why is that exclusionary festival terrible and other exclusionare festivals are celebrated? Genuinely curious.
>>
>>17971830
When someone smugly rubs your nose in your "white privilege", I don't know what else to call it.
>>
>>17971830
It's something like that
>>
>>17971828
>>17971829
>>17971831
>>17971832

Butthurt white dudes mad they don't get everything. You guys are the whiniest pieces of shit alive.
>>
>>17971836
Most film festivals are white male film festivals.
>>
>>17971842
Name one that, in their rules and requirements, excludes everyone except white males.
>>
>>17971836
I'm assuming it's because the white male dominated everything for so long, that it was always a default that everything would already be white and male oriented. They had to set aside special things for black people and women and the gays and everything because they were the minority. Now that they aren't, they still feel like they are something extra special and deserving and entitled to privileges because they want to prove a point. Which I think is counter productive. Two wrongs don't make a right. Make it equal if that's what you want, quit segregating and just let anyone do whatever. It's like if nigger is such a horrible word, why is it cool to say it only if you're black? It's stupid. I guess that's their "black privilage".
>>
>>17971845
They don't, it's de facto. Read up on demographics in Hollywood. It is massively dominated by white dudes, no question.
>>
Justified or not, how retarded do you have to be to not realise that a film festival theme of 'unique voices' means voices you don't often see in film?
>>
>>17971840
Making the assumption every person who said it's ridiculous is white. Pretty ignorant.
>>
>>17971847
Equality is about opportunity, not results.

In this situation, equality would say either there are contests made specifically for every race, sex, etc or one that allows everyone. THAT is equality.

Having one contest that excludes ANYONE for ANY REASON is bigoted. There is simply no denying that.
>>
>>17971850
In film circles, a 'unique voice' normally means an interesting directorial voice or storytelling perspective.
>>
>>17971856
3.4% of film directors are female. 3.4%. let that sink in and actually think about what that implies.
>>
>>17971822

I'm mixed race and female and i think its 100% wrong of them to exclude you.

The problem is that not all white males are privileged, there may be alot of them that are but not 100%.
They are being hypocrites.
It's sick of them to think they can fix the imbalance by trying to tip the scale in reverse and blaming one group exclusively. Nobody deserves to be singled out and blamed for what several rich white guys have done to ruin civilization
>>
>>17971860
That doesn't even address the question or statement but okay. It's considered. Now what?
>>
>>17971861
Very true femanon, very true.
>>
>>17971863
OP was only interested in having his hurt feelings validated, otherwise he would have posted elsewhere. There is a severe issue of exclusion in the film industry and it's not directed at white males. Film festivals like this seek to help alleviate the issue and while you may not agree with that tactic, it's too fucking bad. Come up with a better way to address diversity issues, fix the issue, and then we won't need special film festivals like this to get "unique" people experience and exposure.

In the meantime, submit your film to the hundreds of other film festivals dominated by white guys.
>>
>>17971870
This might be the least thought out, unintelligible argument ever made. Every group that is available to whites or males are also available to women and nonwhites, as it fucking should be. This is a case of a group that, for no other reason than skin pigmentation and genitalia has excluded a human populace in some act of justice or trepidation. Literally is inequality, defined in objective, undeniable terms. To deny that is either ignorance or stupidity.

As to "fixing" this issue, that is what OP desired! RI have everyone have the same opportunities; first in this contest, then in another until all are equal.

I'm tempted to brlieve your just trolling.
>>
>>17971870
You just proved the point. You're clearly not seeking equality. You're after revenge.

For something nobody in this thread was a victim of or perpetrator of.

Now don't you think that's silly?
>>
>>17971861
>It's sick of them to think they can fix the imbalance by trying to tip the scale in reverse
This, pretty much. 2 wrongs don't make a right.
A film festival consisting exclusively of a specific race/gender is a problem.
A film festival that explicitly excludes a specific race/gender is another problem.
>>
>>17971822
>my therapist tells me stuff like "now you see how the oppressed and minorities have felt, hmm?" And "we'll Anon you've lived in a position if privilege for years. Some things aren't for your kind."
No therapist would say this unless they themself have lost it
>>
>>17971899
I'm not seeking revenge. I still want white dudes to be directors, but I want more oppotunities for everyone else too.

Keep up your childish persecution complex though.
>>
>>17971886
3.4%

You think women don't want to make movies? You think the percentage is so low because women just aren't taking advantage of opportunities given to them? LOL yeah OK.
>>
Christ I feel like I just ran into tumblr but on 4chan
>>
>>17971911
Sorry I didn't fall in line with the usual "I'm a victim" 4chan mentality. OP clearly deserved to get into the film festival he didn't even bother reading the rules for.
>>
>>17971847
>It is massively dominated by white dudes, no question.
OY VEY DID YOU JUST ASSUME THAT I'M A WHITE MALE? I'll have you know I come from a minority so oppressed that evil white nazis attempted to literally wipe us out! Remember that goy!
>>
>>17971860
It implies less women are inclined to be directors than men, nothing else, you mentally ill piece of shit. Fuck, I'm mad.
>>
>>17971914
Let's look at the chart of who has progressed this world the most. men have literally done 99% of everything and a majority of that was done by white men so we shouldn't really try to keep them out of everything
>>
>>17971919
Not that person, but are you being serious right now?
>>
>>17971918
10/10
>>
>>17971840
Did you just assume my gender?!?!?!!!
>>
>>17971940
They assumed your gender?! Wow just wow I bet they only watch fox news and voted for that misogynistic sexist racist cis het white male Donald Drumpf
I'm so funny and current
>>
Go get yourself a new therapist.
>>
>>17971950
i'd like to extend that advice to everyone in this thread
>>
>>17971956
Don't worry man I don't even have a therapist

I should get one
>>
>>17971822
Stop trying to assume a greater level of responsibility and involvement in this shit than you actually have. You say "we", but it's actually just "those people over there", not you or I. Cast your votes, but once you're finished, leave that shit in the ballot box instead of carrying it around on your back. You're not a politician, caring about these things 24/7 is not your job.
>>
>>17971919
Kek. Yeah, women don't want an artistic, glamorous, potentially extremely lucrative job.
>>
Just make a film about identity politics ruining everything. And get a new therapist.
>>
>>17971822

Start wearing a Nazi armband as protest.

Say that you're following the example that they've set. That it's okay to judge, exclude and alienate entire demographics just for being born a certain way.

Why the fuck you think /pol/ is so popular?

We gotta hit back, hard. Make them stop and think about their responsibilities when they act, how they encourage others to act.

Unfortunately, that would normally be done through reasoning and debate.
But that has been tried, time and time again.

We have to start saying "Oh, identity politics is okay again? Cool, ID politics world champions, white men back in the game, swerve kikes, niggers and feminist trash".
>>
>>17971840
I think you're missing the point. He isn't upset purely because he is being denied something. He is being denied something based off of a deformed ideology that says groups who have been deprived in the past should deprive groups who have deprived them. An equal society is not formed through revolt, revolution and revenge. We have seen countless times through history that this leads to corruption and oppression.
>>
>>17972362
Um, yeah. There's plenty of women, and men, who don't want a glamorous, money obsessed life. There are people in this world who want to do something that is more meaningful than themselves. Amazing that not everyone wants the same thing, huh
>>
>>17971822
Reading all that made me depressed too, so you're definitely not alone.
>>
>>17971822
>And my therapist tells me stuff like "now you see how the oppressed and minorities have felt, hmm?" And "we'll Anon you've lived in a position if privilege for years. Some things aren't for your kind."
WOW, that sounds super awful.
>>
>>17971860
That women are shit and don't have the drive to direct things?

It's true. Women would rather be in front of the camera soaking up the attention.
>>
Welcome to /pol/
>>
>>17971903
This

Get a new therapist
>>
>>17971822
how do you know for sure your film was excluded simply because you were white male? It didn't have anything to do with the contents of the film? What was your film about? Did they even review it?
>>
This sounds like bait
>>
>>17971822
They're allowed to show whatever and include whoever the fuck they want; it's their film festival, if you don't like that than make your own (see if anyone shows up).
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.