[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> Dating girl I think I'm going to marry > Go to university

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

> Dating girl I think I'm going to marry
> Go to university for engineering degree
> Rationale is that it will help provide for us later in life
> Do pretty good, 3.6+ gpa
> Girl breaks up with me
> Get extremely depressed
> Realize a big part of my motivation for getting into engineering was that it would help me be a provider, a lot of the jobs are unappealing to me if I don't have a good waifu to come home to
> Spend next couple of years in a dark fog
> Still keep up my gpa though
> Do program that lets you earn your bachelors and masters at the same time
> Do masters thesis
> Research is actually fun, exciting
> Realize that this is something I could actually enjoy doing with my degree
> Eventually come to realize that I'd need a PHD though
> By the time I realize that I should be trying to get into PhD programs it's too late to get into one for the next year

So now I'm going to graduate soon and I don't really have anything planned. I really want to get my PhD and get further into research but I missed the application deadlines.

Any advice on what I should do? Is there a way to stay in research until I can get accepted into a PhD program?
>>
Have you talked about your concerns with an academic advisor at your school? Do you have a mentor? You sound like a driven, ambitious guy and that's great. Look for opportunities on your campus, or maybe even consider taking a break and just traveling around. That's a great way too to just recharge and make some new contacts.
>>
>>17959363

Never really talked much to an academic advisor, never really had a mentor, I got pretty reclusive during my depression. I'm an older student (did military before going to school) which is why I'm kicking myself for not reaching this conclusion about wanting a PhD earlier, I don't want to delay my education any more. Don't really have the money to just travel around.

One thing I wouldn't mind is working on campus for a bit. I could still have access to the lab I worked in and all the equipment that went with it, so I could do some more work and maybe get some more papers out there.
>>
>Help any investigator you're interested on their stuff.

>Begin your own projects, either with a school or on your own.

>Work on something related to your interests.
>>
>>17959393
Yeah I can relate. I got pretty reclusive too which worsened my depression. It's hard breaking out of that habit and reaching out to others to hang out and talk. Working on campus sounds like a good idea. As for the "delaying" of your education, I've learned that there's no time limit on finishing your academic goals. Working at your own pace is just fine. I'm 26 yo and about to finally finish my BA degree program since I needed to stop every now and then to work or take a break.
>>
>>17959401

Do you have advice on how to get into contact with an investigator? I have my own projects and interests but there are some people working in some programs I would like to get into that are working on things I would definitely like to help with if I can, but I've never had contact with them, only their email address.
>>
>>17959962

Talk to your thesis supervisor
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.