[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 3 years into my CS major and thinking about changing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1404836275390.png (532KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
1404836275390.png
532KB, 630x630px
I'm 3 years into my CS major and thinking about changing it. I hate theory, but like programming. What is the next best major?
>>
>>17956836
>but like programming

so why change from c.s major ?

next maybe business with minor in computers
>>
>>17956846
I thought it was all programming, but I'm getting a lot of discrete math courses and I have absolutely no idea how to make sense of it. Every time I ask a question I feel more lost than before. Also there are no tutors for discrete math on my campus. I tried asking the TA and he seems knowledgeable, but I'm too retarded to understand what he's saying.

Basically I'm ass at theory shit and after taking 3 courses I realized I just can't keep up with the work and if I have to do this stuff in a real job I'm screwed.

I realize it relates to programming in a way, but I'd rather just work as a lazy webdev or something.
>>
>>17956856

my c.s. degree had plenty of programming &discrete math, statistics, calculus, physics,
chemistry because it was from engineering college

so far i've just used the programming stuff jobs

you definitely need to keep grades up, because that is the best indicator that you are a generally smart person, ie. you studied in college to get good GPA so when you graduate the recruiters automatically rank you higher etc
>>
>>17956880
I passed all my programming courses with As but stuff in my discrete math courses I got Cs and I had to retake one of them. I'm ok with my regular math courses except calc 2. Physics was very easy for me, but I admit I had trouble with chem because I couldn't remember the certain rules for things and I didn't really understand why things worked certain ways.

Also to be fair I'm only halfway through the degree. I just had my first 300+ course and it kind of freaked me out.
>>
>>17956836
>>17956856

>What is the next best major?
SE at a shitty university, because good ones would still have all the theory

>but I'd rather just work as a lazy webdev or something.
uhm, then drop out and get into webdev ? studying CS/SE/whatever to get into webdev is like studying architecture to learn how to drive a nail into a wall.
>>
>>17956908
what grades did you get in your algorithm/data structure classes ?
>>
>>17956929
Actually that's the one I'm taking right now. In this class we're not really programming, but analyzing algorithms I guess. I had a class where we programmed algorithms and used data structs and I got an A in that one.
>>
>>17956946
AD1/2 should be first year classes and after the first year you are usually done with progamming and it's only done to implement/prove the (theoretical) concepts you learn about
>>
>I'm 3 years into my CS major and thinking about changing it. I hate theory, but like programming. What is the next best major?

Its probably better to suck it up for whatever is the last years of your degree than piss it all away for something different, especially when the chance youll find yourself doing something particularly boring instead of what you truly enjoy is going to be just as likely whatever major you end up taking.
>>
>>17956836
Advanced Faggotry.
>>
Software engineer?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.