[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm really pissed off about our educational system and I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
I'm really pissed off about our educational system and I want to see how much everybody else agrees on the statements and criticisms i'm going to make here. I need some perspective on this because i'm going to make my own school depending on how well received this is.

A few years after highschool, excluding the fundamental stuff you learned up to the 5th grade you forget almost everything. Unless you get into a field that requires it, you never use all those years of science and math at your job. There is no reason to further your education any further in math, because the average person never needs to use even the most basic 7th grade equation problems at any point in their life. Most people forget almost everything they learned about world history and social studies in general a few years after they finish highschool. Language arts is a laugh because people have enough reading comprehension on their own without those classes to understand a book on a meaningful level.Anything important to learn like foreshadowing or whatever could be taught in a few youtube videos easily.

You know what else sucks? College is exactly like highschool! You forget almost everything you learned there too! Lmfao! Do they really honestly think that 4 years is enough time to commit those enormous workloads of study material into long term memory? Uh, NO! You study your ass off for the exams and you pass them. And then in a few months you forget almost everything you learned trying to pass that exam. Because there was too much stuff to focus on studying in a short amount of time to ever make it to long term memory. You were always moving onto new subject matter before you gave your brain enough time to learn the last thing you focused on.

And don't get me started on the price of higher education. Having to pay that much for an education is as unacceptable and on the same level of ridiculousness as not allowing women to vote or having black people as slaves. It's that bad.
>>
>>17956174
The problem is you honestly don't know what field you're going to get yourself into at a young age. If you cripple yourself, you've essentially cut off perspective careers when you are old enough to decide.

English is horrid. I've seen people taking the comprehension test to see their level, and they need to take 2-3 additional classss to even meet the basic requirements for a university, while at community college!
>>
agreed
>>
since it's kinda related:
can someone explain to me why the fuck universities in the US have classes completely unrelated to the field you study in their curriculums ? like, i've seen STEM curriculums where people take history classes and stuff like that.
and why can you study non-academical fields in university that are taught as a trade in other countries and get a BSc/MSc degree ?
>>
>>17956230
So the liberals have more time to indoctrinate you. It's under the cover of a 'more rounded education', but that's the real reason
>>
>>17956235
It's more so you're forced to intermingle with people from different academic courses. Broaden not only your horizons towards the course, but your interactions with others not in your course.
>>
>>17956230
piss poor level of math and writing skills upon graduating high school, 'well rounded', 'figuring out what you want to do', limiting supply of graduates, more time to not adult, i never really saw any liberal indoctrination and went to a pretty multi culture school
>>
OP, I actually used to think like you for a long time, from the age of 15 - until a year ago when I started teaching children and observed them in detail. School and university have their awful sides, and it is not us who notice it now in 2017, it was further discussed by many in 60s and 70s. Pink Floyd's famous song-The Wall is about education in UK. The system is neither too good but nor too bad. Somewhere in between I would say, considering you are not refering to USA only educational system, but europe/usa education in general. Students can overcome the bad sides of education, throught desire for knowledge, I have seen that, even though they are just 5th or 6th grade, they have already established most of their basic personality traits, and a strong personality is able to "bend the reality" to their own benefit, those students were so eager to study, so that they could get the best out of every subject/teacher. The things in the first paragraph you mentioned, while they are somehow true, they apply to the average student (me included :/) It is a student to blame ( well it actually lies in genes, upbringing, environment and so on.) for not showing enough interest and not continuing searching for knowledge in other places besides school. From personal experience (I had very good History teacher though) most of the things I know about History, I learned them until 7th grade.You mentioned studying subjects which you eventually remember nothing, but some of students, might show interest in the subject, so they should have this opportunity available. The very good side of this pointless studying is establishing some emotional intelligence, doing homeworks and preparing for lessons, also training your memory. And about university expences, I suppose, there are some cases, in which it is very expensive even for a native american, but sometimes it is the students to blame for not managing their finances well.

tl;boring;dr - typical school system is not entirely bad
>>
It's like the people in charge like the idea of the citizens being stupid in order to use them. It feels like this only going to get worse. How can we fix this?
>>
>>17956174
The only reason it's bad is because it doesn't prepare high school seniors (no shop classes, no finance classes, but avid) to enough for them to knoe whst they want. Then it went a step further and made college the default choice despite most people being a bad fot for college.

Meanwhile, college became more about the academic circle jerk than about anything practical. Even in stem, your core classes are theory and you take maybe 1 or 2 classes that deal woth practical application

So in 8 years you know a lot of useless nonsense.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.