[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm almost 27 and have two useless bachelors degrees and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1478389446017.jpg (137KB, 500x710px) Image search: [Google]
1478389446017.jpg
137KB, 500x710px
I'm almost 27 and have two useless bachelors degrees and a shipping license that doesn't mean anything since the shipping industry is in chaos. What does someone around my age do to get back on his feet? Should I go to grad school for something? PhD work? Is that all a waste of time? Any advice would be helpful, thanks.
>>
what are your degrees in and why are they worthless?

why didn't you network and intern in college?
>>
>>17953936
If you really need contacts and are having a hard time making connections to find a job relevant to your degree, just join the military.

Usually you'd be streamlined into an officer position if your degree is worth anything. And then you'll have all the contacts in the world that you'll need once you come back to the civilian world.
>>
>>17953946
Maritime science and biz admin. I did, but it was on commercial ships and the industry tanked about six months prior to graduation. Everyone I graduated with is having a hard time finding work.

>>17953967
I've thought of it, but I'd prefer to stick to the civilian world.

Is going back to college for engineering or something worthwhile or further digging a hole?
>>
>>17953990
Yikes -- sorry to hear the job market for you is rough (seas).

Anyway, don't go back. If you're desperate enough, go for a diploma or certificate in something related to an office job. Big companies are always looking for office interns/full timers. It's a great way to gain experience while not doing too straining of work, but then again it'll be really boring.

If you're lucky, you could apply for a company that does marine research and sit in a cozy office all day.
>>
>>17954011
Hmm, interesting. What kind of positions should I look out for at a big company like you mentioned?
>>
>>17954032
Well, you do have a biz admin degree. So that's a really big benefit. Any big name company, but since you have a maritime science education, I'd opt for anything related to ocean/marine research dude.

If nothing shows up then look for the nearest big company, send a resume in person. Anything that has to do with junior account executive, research assistant, office clerk, etc. are all good positions to start out as in these sorts of companies.

Show us your resume, I edit and proofread resumes as my weekend freelance side gig, and most tend to get an interview so feel free
>>
>>17954040
I'm actually in the process of rewriting it. Thanks for the info, man. The only thing I'm concerned about is that this business admin degree was kind of a joke at my school. My background in finance/accounting, hell even business is remarkably weak. I can probably interview well, work well with people, and pick up on things, but I doubt I'd be a strong candidate for any business just based on my degree alone.
>>
>>17953936
Join the Peace Corps, faggot

Same government connections as the military, preferred application status to government jobs, employers think it looks cool, they'll teach you a language, you get to be your own boss for 2 years, craziest parties of your life with other volunteers, get to adventure around edgy parts of the world, and you're a little more interesting afterwards. Plus half your volunteer friends will move to DC to become ladder climbers, making you part of that network. Oh, and even if you have a shitty GPA, the top colleges in the country will let you in just for being in the Peace Corps.
Turned my life around.
>>
>>17954100
Sounds pretty sweet. My uncle did that for a year in Mexico before he said fuck it and went home. He was older at that point so I don't think it was all he hoped it would be for that reason. Top colleges in the country will let you in... for grad schooling, you mean?

I'll definitely look into it.
>>
>>17954109
Yeah, for grad school. A couple girls I know with high B-ish averages got into Johns Hopkins and Columbia.
>>
>>17954125
Damn... it really does that much for you? What do you do now?
>>
>>17954156
I'm in grad school at Boston U. It's the only grad school I applied to because I did horribly on the GRE, just didn't take it seriously, and I was counting on getting a Fulbright. I'll probably just finish up my degree here, though I have considered trying to transfer to Columbia.
>>
>>17954162
Oh, and for the record, my undergrad GPA was a 3.1
>>
>>17954162
>>17954164
Is there something I'm missing? It can't be just a matter of joining the Peace Corps and that's it. Are you all from wealthy/influential families? Where is your money coming from to live on while in grad school? Not to challenge you, I'm just curious.
>>
>>17954179
If you stay with the Peace Corps, it looks really good because you're leading your own development projects and getting ground experience. It really does prepare you for things like development, diplomacy, public health, forestry, etc. than pretty much anything else.
Peace Corps can also get you big scholarships - I'm on a $16K one. Most people are taking on some debt, though.

My family is lower middle class. The girl at JHU was born to a teen mom and is poor.

It really does feel like the Peace Corps is a cheat code, though
>>
>>17954237
Thanks a lot for that advice, anon. I think I always discounted the Peace Corps as a hippie way to get a free vacation to a third world country. It sounds pretty baller the way you describe it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.