[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any managers out there? I need advice on: >getting older workers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: tmp_1438-1482658135285-886831145.jpg (615KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1438-1482658135285-886831145.jpg
615KB, 3840x2160px
Any managers out there?
I need advice on:
>getting older workers to respect you despite being young
>walking the line between professionally asserting authority while not being a complete ass
>asking for a raise

I work in an office full of catty old women and was chosen to replace the office manager, but all of the ladies under me are older than me, and some have actually worked there longer than I've been alive. Also, I am grossly underpaid for the amount of work that I do. I've been putting off asking for a raise, but it's time.

Help.
>>
>smart delegation of workload
be aware of everyone's strengths and weaknesses and delegate accordingly. make sure workpackages are distributed as evenly as possible; gradually pair up colleagues with different strengths so that they can get on the same level
>professional attitude
don't ever try to project a personality type. don't strive to be an authoritarian, nor friends with anyone. there is a time for that, but it's usually when/if issues arise. do the shit out of your job, know what you're talking about and create an environment where getting the job done is the ethos.

what department/industry do you work in?
>>
>>17953327
I work at an independently owned auto auction. There's no question that I do the shit out of my job (hence why I was offered the position in the first place), but management is very new to me. I worked closely with the people I am now over so there is a friendly, more casual attitude there. I don't want it to seem like I got promoted then immediately turned into a hardass, but I do think you're right in that my attitude should be more professional. I hate to lose the friendships, but I can deal with that.
>>
You should quit that job, and become a Pokemon trainer instead.
>>
>>17953346

You don't have to be a jerk to be in charge.
If they like you as you are, just tell them what needs to be done in a polite manner and continue on.

If they're not doing as you say, then you turn it up a notch but otherwise please don't go power tripping because it'll give birth to resentment very quickly.

I've had managers I've made friends with
And its great because it makes the job enjoyable. It becomes a symbiotic relationship of give and take.
You feel you can trust them to discuss bigger issues etc.

When a manager tries to act superior or more important because of their title it makes the situation uncomfortable.

First question is, are they doing their jobs?
If not, have a "meeting" don't single anyone out and talk positively about meeting goals together as a team. Doing something nice to spark morale will gain you more respect.
A pizza day, box of donuts, round of coffees. People love when a job rewards them.
>>
>>17953311
>>getting older workers to respect you despite being young
lead by example. Show them not only how you need the work done but that you can and are willing to do it as well/ Once you prove youre a hard worker age shoudnt be a concern. Ive had good and terriblr workers both young and old. All that I see after a while is the hard workers and the slackers
>>walking the line between professionally asserting authority while not being a complete ass
again, lead by example. See whos the problem and focus on them. Offer to help when the slack, then put it in them to work. If they dont start with warnings. If that fails begin repremanding. Youre not there to be a friend, youre in charge. If it upsets them then they can quit. If theyve been alive for that long then they should be able to handle it. If they dont respect you it doesnt matter. Dont be a friend to those who dont deserve it
>>asking for a raise
do all of that shit I just talked about. Show improvements in areas of work and that youre willing to be a ball buster when needed. Present that and say because of all the stuff youve done you'd like a raise. Not "I THINK i deserve a raise" you WANT it
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.