[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>sat 900/1600 >iq range 92-100 >add I feel very insecure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

>sat 900/1600
>iq range 92-100
>add

I feel very insecure about myself knowing that I have a hard time in school especially towards topics that involve being able to think abstractly.

For some reason, I have a tough time doing math calculations in my head even simple ones. Sometimes, I feel discouraged and worthless due to these inabilities to think clearly. It also sucks when you're interested in things related to science and technology. I might have some form of Dyscalculia senpai.

What do /adv/?
>>
>>17950877
Don't go to college? Do a trade instead.

College/higher education is extremely overrated. Intelligence doesn't make you a good person, or successful. Hard work makes you successful and being a good person makes you a good person.

Stop making your intelligence your identity. I respect a good hearted hard working idiot way more than a lazy, asshole genius.
>>
>>17950898
Well, I already have a two-year degree from a technical college in IT, but for some reason, I've convinced myself to push towards a four-year degree too. I did fairly well given my situation last semester. I managed to pull out 2.9. Everyone I know personally has gone through college and got their degree. I feel like it would almost be embarrassing or something if I left to do trade work. Plus, I'm not even interested in the stuff that much either. It 'd be great to have a clear goal in what I would like to tackle as a career but for a while now that idea has been working in IT.
>>
>>17950926
This is what I mean, you are going to college for the sake of college. Don't go to college for the sake of college, go to start a career that you think you will be good at.

And holy shit stop sticking your nose up at the trades! You don't have to love your job, just tolerate it. Otherwise you're going to end up like those fools with a useless degree.
>>
Get involved in a technical trade like electrical/data.

Electrical and plumbing pays great but electrical doesn't have to work with shit.
>>
>>17950926
Unless you can't find another job, don't do trade work.
>>
>>17950968
Yeah, I am going to college to further my education so I can become more "enlightened" and hopefully when graduation comes, I'll be able to get a decent IT job.

I may not be the best at doing IT work or whatever but I feel that I am not abysmal at it either. My real struggle is when I'm doing math or programming courses. It requires a lot of effort on my part. So being a software developer or something similar may bring on more suffering.

Plus, that would not make much sense from getting an IT degree to going to become an electrician or a plumber.
>>
>>17950968
Look, someone has to do the trades and they're noble occupations, but if you come from upper-middle class, a 70k salary (pretty much as high as you can go unless you can unless you become a successful company) will be a big step down and embarrasing to your friends and family. I don't hate trade workers, but if you are poor, don't care about the stigma, can't get a job, good at manual labour and are willing to fit in with the rest of the lower-middle class, then only then would I recommend it. A higher paying job will probably do you much better (but still, don't just go for money, passion and using your talents are key). I sound like a dick, but I'm telling you what I would tell my child. You don't sound like you'd like it and these guys are being too nice about it. Trade jobs are mostly for people who can't get degrees or find a white collar job (I know people who should have chose them, but now they just work multiple minimum wage jobs instead).
>>
>>17951062
Do what you're good at. You'll probably end up enjoying it.
>>
>>17951090
>dad makes six figures as a district manager for a national company

So yeah I'd say I come from an upper-middle-class family. I can't recall anyone from my family doing blue collar work except on my mom's side. My uncle is a painter and my grandfather used to be a carpenter along with having other various handyman jobs. As for finding passion and nature talents, I'd say I'm still looking for that connection. However, many people seem to believe computers and IT related stuff are my things since I've always been the go-to-guy when things go wrong. I still feel empty though and confused. Perhaps I'll never find my true passion and talents for the things I care about. I wish it were a lot easier figuring this stuff out, though.
>>
>>17951092
Have you figured that one out yet?

Let me know if you have because I sure as hell haven't.
>>
1. Get a TI-89 and learn to use it to step through problems
2. Most higher level math classes above calculus don't use numbers- they're proof based. Consider the required curriculum to see if it's a good fit for you.
3. Get over scores and grades. They do not dictate your life. An employer will never ask for your IQ and test scores/GPA do not guarantee any acceptance. They are only a part of your entire package to offer as an asset. Learn to value yourself and know your strengths.
4. Relax. The greatest thing about life is that we are afforded the opportunity to continually grow as individuals, expand our minds with new knowledge, discover new passions, and change the course of life's path whenever we want. Some students would fail college out of high school but excel when they are more mature. Life has a way of working out.

So, stop beating yourself up, breathe, and try a different perspective. :)
>>
>>17951090
You do come across as elitist and entitled, sorry.

OP doesn't know what he wants to do and has admitted that he is bad at school. Instead of forcing himself to go to college just because he doesn't want to look dumb, he should find a career in something that: a) he is decent at, b) he can get a job in, and c) he doesn't hate.

Going to college without a plan, and without being skilled in your career path is a recipe for disaster. I see it happen all the time, kids go to college because they are expected to, then blow a bunch of money on tuition with nothing to show for it (be it due to dropping out or getting a shit degree because an easy degree is better than nothing in their eyes ).
>>
I got a 1480 on my SATs.

Just saying.
>>
>>17951400
>learn to value yourself and know your strengths

I only have to do business cal, discrete 1, and business stats.

How do you figure out what your strengths are because im still losted with that one.
>>
>>17951523
Cool.

I know a close friend that made a nearly perfect score too.
>>
>>17951523
Lol thats like average at my school
>>
I know Math Honours majors who suck at basic arithmetic
>>
>>17950898
Be very, VERY careful with this
>Distant cousin
>kind of a dull guy
>Injures ankle playing basketball in High School
>Realizes he won't make it in college cause he's not good at school
>I don't remember if he went to trade school but he got a blue collar job pretty quick
>Within 4 years he's completely destroyed his ankle which never truly recovered from his injury
>Currently waiting to be fired
>It's possible he's going to apply for disability
This place likes to push trade school as "manly" because of the right wing bent but alot of those jobs are fucking miserable. Are you a tough guy OP? Huh? Are ya?
>>
>>17951802
I prefer to use my brain rather than my hands.
>>
>>17951802
The trades typically aren't hard manual labor like that, they are skilled jobs. Welder, electrician, plumber...you don't need to be tough to work these jobs......
>>
>>17951888
We'll you were just complaining about being too dumb in the OP.

So which is it? If you are dumb you can't expect someone to pay you to use your brain.
>>
>>17950877
Being bad at simple calculations and multiple choice tests doesn't mean you're going to be a failure in anything meaningful, even if you wanted to be, say, a math major. I got a pretty good SAT score compared to a lot of my friends, but those friends tend to be a lot better at practical applications than I am.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.