[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

lost my job offer >be me >poorfag, comp sci degree >8

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0251.jpg (29KB, 340x227px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0251.jpg
29KB, 340x227px
lost my job offer

>be me
>poorfag, comp sci degree
>8 months, 200 apps sent
>various interviews with different companies
>get job offer after 6 rounds, 2 month process
>moving to ny working for the military, 100k job
>prepare to go, spend money getting an apartment
>they do a investigative background
>find out ive been arrested once 3 years ago.
>i had already told them about it at the start, no problems
>literally a cop was being an asshole as I'm hispanic in a rich part of town
>nothing ever came of it, no charges
>a few weeks before I'm supposed to go
>they take back their offer
>i told everyone i was leaving already and mentally prepared, packed my bags, etc

I'm crushed /adv/. I don't know what to do now. I want to crawl into a hole and never show my face again.
>>
>>17947994
>>literally a cop was being an asshole as I'm hispanic in a rich part of town

Sounds like you're only telling us your version of the story. I find it hard to believe that they would rescind a job offer over an 'arrest that didn't lead to a conviction.'
>>
>>17948022
Many jobs will, especially if this was acceptable in the recruiter's eyes to continue the process and it was then deemed not acceptable by someone in the final hiring chair.
>>
>>17948022

I gain nothing from making it up. Not only did I not get convicted I did not even get charged.

it is a job that has different standards than private sector ones. i was extensively investigated through every stage of the job.

I feel totally frustrated and empty and lost. I'm too late out of the game to get another job.

I don't know what to tell everyone around me that I said my goodbyes too.
>>
>>17948032

it was a job with the military with extensive bureaucracy, paperwork, etc.
>>
>8 months 200 apps sent
>100k job
I know I'm jumping to conclusions, but have you considered that you've been applying for jobs you don't have the experience for? Most people who send loads of CVs and can't get a call back or the job after an interview fail because they're applying for jobs "out of their league".
For my first job I sent 10 CVs, got 4 interviews and 2 of them offered me the job, all in ~2 months. It was accounting/auditing, not CS, but I can't imagine CS jobs are much scarcer. I also had nothing amazing on my CV, just the minimum requirements.
>>
>>17948041

I'm a spic with a very spic name.

I'm qualified for the job. I'm not an idiot. I was tested extensively for my skills/knowledge.

Also, they provided the reason for taking back their offer and it was that.

Again this isn't like most private sectors jobs, managers can't suddenly change their minds.
>>
>>17948039
I'm aware, I read your post OP. I was telling the one I replied to that it's not uncommon at all for you to be denied a job on simply being charged when it comes to higher tier jobs, and that's still talking private sector.

>>17948041
And many people who end up successful and not at mid tier job positions/companies do their all to get into these jobs, which are insanely competitive. I have a friend who spent over 2 years applying after getting his BA while working at the commissary before getting his break with a company he'd selected.
>>
guys what can i even tell everyone? Any advice?

i don't even know what to say to my friends.

it's a good thing i am self depreciating and humble and played down how good of an opportunity it was constantly
>>
>>17948071
There's nothing to really say to anyone. You didn't make the job, shit happens, life moves on, you'll have other opportunities, even if they aren't as grand. Being regretful or apologetic about it will get you nowhere besides upset, angry, and depressed. Even if that was your life dream and goal, you can move the posts bro. Being flexible in the face of adversity starts with something exactly like your situation and will prepare you better in the future. There's no reason to not be open and honest about it to the people who you won't be leaving. Telling them that "hey, somewhere along the line someone decided that time I got arrested barred me from this job, that sucks huh?" is going to net you support from anyone you know who's worth a shit. A pat on the back, a "that sucks", a night out for some drinks, and some help with getting your shit together to restart your search.

Good luck bro, don't be a pussy and keep on moving on with life. Don't waste time feeling sorry about shit that no longer matters when you can do something productive or fun instead.
>>
if you are applying to 200 jobs you definitely are not tailoring your app. that is just dumb computer science is in high demand also, so you can get a job if you want one. if you are filtering based on 100k salary you are retarded
>>
>>17948071
Dude they are your friends and family. Shit happens. Nobody is going to look down on you for this happening. Life has bumps and this will likely be a minor one by the time you're dropped into the casket.
>>
>>17948086

thanks for the pep talk anon. i appreciate the kind words. i will try to keep my chin up

this was a huge blow. i hope i can get back up and pick up the pieces

my arrest has been my secret as im not that type of person and it has to this day never stopped bringing me shame. no one knows except my immediate family.
>>
File: IMG_0252.jpg (30KB, 600x553px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0252.jpg
30KB, 600x553px
>>17948191
>>17948086
>>17948190
>>
>>17948162
This.
>>
>>17947994
It's time to join the Peace Corps.
>>
>>17947994
>eyyy da poleese wuz rayciss man
>i have an online coding bootcamp certificate, why can't I get a job in the most in demand field at the moment??
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.