[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any future for translators? Should I go to uni to study

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 14644359590890.jpg (143KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
14644359590890.jpg
143KB, 960x720px
Is there any future for translators? Should I go to uni to study it or is it just a waste of time because computers may soon be able to translate everything perfectly?
>>
The same could be said about a lot of professions anon.
From welding to programing.
>>
If youre reading this and qe already have AIs who can do flawless translation disregard my message.
Dont fall for the translation and interpretation AI memes.
Both occupations are much more than what current AIs can achieve
There is always demand for translation. Depends on your language pairs. Just because they might be popular pairs, that shouldnt discourage you. A program or course should help you. a lot with some theoretical and practical stuff. I would need to know more about your experience and background to continue.
Computers cant translate perfectly, people cant translate perfectly. No such thing as a perfect translation.
>>
>>17938919

Depends on how good you are and how many languages you're fluent in
>>
I've seen it work for people. That is to say, getting a language degree. I wouldn't count on being a translator, but rather a much bigger set of opportunities exists for bilingual or trilingual people in multinational business roles. Get a minor in something more practical would be my advice, but I know people in Dubai making a killing teaching English, and people in sales, purchasing, etc. Who made their careers by being multilingual. It's just about how you sell it and what you're prepared for.
>>
Lenguague is just too complex for a AI to translate it perfectly, it evolves as we speak and is affected by context too.

Go for it OP, at least in our lifetime translators will remain relevant, i think...
>>
File: ee60a8919cae929200f07eed98113dbf.png (957KB, 3000x900px) Image search: [Google]
ee60a8919cae929200f07eed98113dbf.png
957KB, 3000x900px
universal translators incoming
>>
Is it too late to learn Chinese at 25? I would like to go back for it.
>>
>>17938919
you can make bank in Asia if you learn the language of a powerful nation over there.
>>
>>17939613
its never too late
just realize you need years to get good at it
>>
>>17939613
>>17938919
If you want to become a "translator" (meaning translating your only marketable skill) you will need to be fluent and close to native in at least three languages.

If you work in a field such as business being fluent in another language other than English will open some more doors for you - in that case you would not be a translator though.

t. Embassy anon
>>
>>17938919
Student here.
Just completed a module on translation technology. Trust me, they definitely need us.

Consider the following:

What if a small business is shipping overseas and doesn't know not only the local trading laws and regulations, but also the local way of doing business? There exists a cultural barrier, too. In German, for example, ideas expressed directly are taken seriously, so in business, the Subjunctive I clause would be used to express business indriectly until it is agreed. Also, their manner of speaking may be considered too blunt, and therefore rude, to the British - understanding cultural barriers is important.

What if you need to go abroad on behalf of a client as they do not speak the local language?

What if you're hired by a company to be the translator/interpreter for some businessmen on a business trip? Language is one thing, but the culture and local quirks? Translation technology doesn't tell you to stay indoors around midday in Spain or that to order something in Japan, you have to call to the waiter (something that is considered rude in the West).

What if you're translating dialogue for a film? Translators capture the tone, stress and flow of conversations and find equivalents. Take the sentence: "Well, it's *a* problem, but the not *the* problem". How do you translate a sentence so dependent on stressing articles into a language where articles don't exist, such as Russian? You have to find another way of expressing the idea.

Consider slang - the only way for slang to be added to translation technology is by translators who know what it means.

tldr: Future's bright.
>>
>>17939665
>staying indoors around midday in Spain

This is cause of siestas right? What's wrong with walking around outside when people are sleeping?
>>
>>17938919
Get into medical translation, OP.
There's always a need for it, so long as there is a decent population in the area that speaks the language you studied.
>>
>>17938919
What? Have you never seen a computer generated translation? They suck. I translate as a hobby, even people who think they're fluent in the other language translate like shit. No idea about the market for a translator but no, you aren't going to be replaced by computers in a loooong while.
>>
The only safe jobs are jobs that require creativity and jobs where people prefer be done by a human

As a translator you are using your knowledge and experience to take something in one language then apply rules to interpret it into another. Computers can already do this and are only getting better. Regional slang and all of that is just another set of rules.

Now if you take up programming as well, then you're guaranteed a job building the AI.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.