[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seriously, what's the deal with people who don't ask

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

Seriously, what's the deal with people who don't ask the equivalent of "How are you?" or "What have you been doing?" when they talk to you. You ask them, but they don't ask you. Are people so damn selfish when talking? Is that it? I wouldn't ever bring up what I've been doing because most people wouldn't understand it, but I'm really enthusiastic about it; regardless of whether people could understand, I'd want to be asked. I'm talking about people who start conversations with you and not the other way around. Do these people ever call their relatives and ask them how they've been? Geez. Anyone know that feel?
>>
Yep. I get you. I've come to think it's just one of those phrases that native English speakers use to initiate polite conversation. The ones who actually care will listen and go further.
>>
>>17935934
No I get that, but if you're talking about only the one thing you want to talk about and it misses my interest, I just want to say fuck off dude, go read Wikipedia.
>>
>>17935951
Some people wait for others to share what's going on in their life cuz they don't wanna pry.
>>
For whatever reason it's mentally painful for me to ask "How are you?", so it's not something I do easily.
>>
>>17935966
So then the issue isn't with others being selfish, there's something you're struggling with and projecting it onto others because you're too afraid to look at yourself and face whatever it is?
>>
>>17935966
>"H-H-How a-are you?"
>"I'm sorry, what was that? Oh shoot, look, I have to go. Goodbye, Anon!"
>"Y-You t-too...!"

Really.
>>
>>17935957
That is the dumbest thing. It shows you care, a bit. But like I said I wouldn't ever bring it up.
>>
>>17935972
I think it's mainly just that deep down I don't want to talk to people. Asking "How are you" means I'll be stuck in conversation longer.
>>
>>17935997
Why don't you want to talk with people? What are you afraid of? You're talking here with me...is this a painful conversation?
>>
>>17935930
Its a polite thing to do. "How's it goin" is essentially saying "hi" at least in the US...It's a meaningless phrase that people say and hear expect nothing from it. I get people I've never met say this when I'm walking down a sidewalk. It's not like they stopped me, and genuinely cared about how I was doing...In fact, that would be weird. He asked me, I said morning, and we kept walking.

Personally I think you're thinking a bit too much into it, OR you're too shy. If you really want to let the person know what you've been up to and you're in the US, just blurt it out. It's not considered rude to jump in conversation like that (but note that is not the same as talking over someone. That's always a dick move)
>>
>>17936031
I'm not talking about the "Hello" version of those questions. If I told them what I was doing their eyes would quickly glaze over. I don't know why any science topics make people stop talking to you, but they do. What I'm asking about is where is people's general curiosity?
>>
>>17936137
If you're talking about where people's general curiosity is, you're sharing your wonder and enthusiasm of this topic with the wrong people.
>>
>>17936031
This. I've said "I'm fine, and you?" to a lot of important people that you would think gets that response a lot and they are literally taken aback
>>
I read somewhere narcissists tend not to ask "How are you", and when they do, they don't care for the answer, they do it on automatic mode.
>>
Off topic, I really like your bird picture. Super adorable.
>>
>>17936399
>>
>>17935930
They are not interested in you as a human, it's that simple.

Maybe I lived in NC too long, but it's fucked not to go through that exchange, and it happens a lot now that I live in Seattle. Is it really so hard not to respond with only a glare? God damn
>>
File: Darth Duck.jpg (24KB, 320x312px) Image search: [Google]
Darth Duck.jpg
24KB, 320x312px
>>17935930
You're an entitled prick. I don't ask how people are doing or what they've been up to because I just don't care.
>>17936003
yep, self-absorbed asshole confirmed. I bet you were a single kid of rich parents. Would explain why you think everything has to be like you want and everyone must be and think and act like you.
you like birds, eh
>>
>>17936680
Super cute.
>>17936705
Dude what crawled up your ass? I enjoy pictures of birds. Birds in real life I enjoy eating.
>>
>>17936716
Yeah, the bird part was just banter desu senpai, hence an evil knievel bird pic
>>
>>17936705

>>17936747
Um...ok... don't really get the humour. You insult me and make some lame ass assumption that I'm a rich kid who thinks everything should be the way I want and then you "banter" with me about birds?
>>
>>17936769
it's not necessarily humor, just wanted to show I don't have any serious hostility towards you. I do find people like you incredibly annoying but I'm a live and let live kind of guy so do as you please.
>>
>>17936780
I see. I find it interesting you have chosen to lump me into the generalization you have of people who annoy you without really knowing me. Best of luck to you figuring stuff out.
>>
I only experience this when I try talking to girls.

Everyone else is fine.
>>
File: 1460022481590.jpg (42KB, 600x489px) Image search: [Google]
1460022481590.jpg
42KB, 600x489px
>>17936789
You clearly got no self-awareness. Good luck achieving anything in life once your parents money runs out
>>
Bait
>>
>>17935930
I never ask this. I get that it's common courtesy to say ask, but I really just don't give a shit. I skip the "Hello" part sometimes as well and just get straight to the point.
>>
I've known some people who never ask questions, period. I feel that it is selfishness, awkwardness or a combination of the two. I learned to deal with this by going into it with this expectation, that they are never going to turn into a conversational partner who asks me questions about myself or my life/friends/interests. Do I still want to talk to them? If not, I make an excuse every time or be really brisk about keeping it short. If yes, then I'm not sitting around waiting for them to change. If I do really feel the need to share something, you better bet they'll listen to it whether they want to or not. I just hijack the conversation by going "oh that reminds me" and talking over them if they try to interject.

As for why you would want to live that way, I like chatting with my coworkers and some of them are like this. My pragmatic attitude helps keep frustration down.
>>
>>17936137
It sounds like you might be looking to boast a bit. That's not a genuine conversation. No one wants to listen to someone boast nor pretend to.
>>
>>17936881
"I just got this new job, let me tell you about it."
"I just had this new idea, let me tell you about it (and its implications)."

Nah, you're just insecure dude.
>>
They don't have to be interested in you. I don't want to be around people not interested in me so I don't have this issue.

But sometimes I'm in such bad times that I forget to ask, though once I get out my immediate need I usually think to ask. Many people are selfish, sadly yes, and so thoughtless, inconsiderate and rude. Incivility is rampant.
>>
I had no idea this was such a big deal

I don't respond to how are you because I have zero desire to tell you how I am and have zero reason to believe the question was genuine in the first place
I'm not even prepared to listen to your response about how you are
I don't want to, in fact I regret having come across you in the first place
>>
>>17935930
I'm not much of a talker anyways, but I'll give the usuall "hey how's it going" but honestly I hate getting that in return. If you have to ask how I'm doing you obviously don't care enough or we aren't close enough for you to know.

That's more for people I see regularly. For old friends and family it's totally okay since they have their own lives.

So when people don't ask it's a relief. It means we can actually talk about something interesting other than "Yeah all I do is work/school and goof atound!"

This all sounds so condescending and cynical. I'm sorry, I'm awful with words.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.