[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am Jack of all trades but master at none, how do I change that.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: FB_IMG_1481578288618.jpg (35KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1481578288618.jpg
35KB, 600x849px
I am Jack of all trades but master at none, how do I change that. It has bothered me for a long time and really annoys me wat do
>>
.... Often better than a master of one.

Why does everyone want to be a savant?
There's nothing wrong with being a jack of all trades. Just keep developing your skills because you never know where your path will lead.
>>
I'm the same way. The only thing I learned is that if you try to tell people this "yeah I can do any new thing at a competent level I just don't have the skills or drive to excel" then everyone thinks you're arrogant afaik.
You just need to literally do everything you can think of, then pick whatever you liked the most and do more of that, and hope you have a natural click to it. Jacks exist only because we haven't found an early passion
>>
Choose one that youre pretty pk with more than other skills and pursue it

I forgot who said it but he said that mastery of a skill brings greater appreciation towards it always. Imagine becuse you have the knowledge of all the subltle intricacies of the skill that it turns into a sort of art form at the highest level. Watch Hiro Dreams Of Sushi to really get an idea of what mastery of a skill is and why it can be valuable. Its on netflix
>>
Don't worry too much, just keep moving forward in the stuff you are interested in.
Say if you know how to do 10 things but you only do 5 on a regular basis, and of those five you do 2 every day, you'll eventually converge to the point of mastery.
Mastery is a function of time, remember that. Can't master something in a week or even a year.
>>
>>17933861
And thats makes me feel really wired since most of my mates have found a passion and are developing it and I'm sitting there like " yeah, I can do it but not as good as Anon". I've tried a lot of things but I either lose interest in them quite fast or realise that they aren't for me. I am still searching sonic haven't lost hope quite yet
>>
>>17933868
Thanks for the help. I'll look up Hiro dreams of sushi
>>
I see this thread all the time. Stop overcomplicating matters and just fucking get good at something!

>how?
You're smart enough to figure it out.

>(does nothing)
This thread is just a moderate ego-post isn't it? "Ho ho ho, I am a jack of all trades."

Stoppit.
>>
>>17933904
Its Jiro my bad
Im holding you to it, its worth it
>>
>>17933909
Its more about his feeling of inadequacy. Feeling like because he's never focused on a single thing he's destined to never be hreat at a single thing like his peers. It's an emotional issue rooted in many life experiences, not a logical issue.
>>
>>17933940
Yeah but both can be fixed as practical issues, by goddamned getting good at something.
>>
>>17933909
Like I said I have tried a lot of thing that didn't work out for me and I am still trying stuff. I can't expect to get good at something by doing nothing(I'll probably get good at doing nothing). I am asking for overall help for finding my passion and becoming a master at it.
>>
>>17933909
See this is the kind of shit I was talking about. No matter how you spin it, you're gonna get dipshits like this thinking you're just looking down on people when it's quite frankly the opposite. It's being envious of the people that knew straight away they can be an awesome doctor or lawyer, even if they can't shoot a basket to save their life etc.

I mean come on... Telling somebody to "lel just git gud at something" is the same shit as telling /r9k/ to be themselves...Being their self didn't work
>>
I am like that too. Originally I was thinking of software engineering but ended up veering towards trading/investment where I can learn about lots of things in all sorts of industries.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 980x6290px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 980x6290px
>>17933955
Youre not understanding, its feeling that he doesnt have something to get good at. He literally cant retain the attention to get good at something for long enough to get good at it.

Imagine there's a park with basketball, soccer and baseball. He goes to play baseball and he's decent at it but doesn't really get the rush that hes looking for from doing it. He goes to play basketball the same, soccer ditto.

My advice was >>17933868
By powering though it, the better you get the more youll appreciate it but it is fucking hard to stick with when ypu feel like theres something else put there that youre supposed to be doing.
Sylvia Plath repesented this idea of overwhelming choice well
>>
>>17934004
Thank you. Thats pretty much summed up how I feel. It's not that I am not looking it's the fact that I am not finding..
>>
>>17934004
Oh I guess he has a handicap then

Give me a break

"I have someone else articulate the rut im in, in a biased way that makes it sound like I shouldn't do anything to get out of it"

Solution: fuckin do something
>>
>>17934055
Thats really good advice, its like I didnt realize that, THANKS!
>>
>>17934064
You realized it you just didn't do it

Theres nothing to be gained by feeling guilty or attacked, just get good at the things you would like to be better at through practice, so that you can be happy and more accomplished
>>
>>17934075
The thing is that I dont realize what I want to become better at
How do you choose
>>
>>17934077
What are the things I like

food
music
sex

what can I do more of/particiate in more/become more skilled at?

music? Im too busy at work
sex? I think I already try my max at that
food? yes! I can learn to cook better meals!

"I love that [Anon]. He's always cooking us these good meals. What an expert. What a model citizen. We're all so luck to be graced by his presence. He and us are all having a great time right now."

like that
>>
>>17934089
So you think that the social value you provide is important?

Interesting, thanks for actually trying to reply

Lets say I like Virtual reality, Competitive esports, and music

Which would you pursue and why
>>
>>17934117
Yeah im a social animal but also well cooked food is enjoyable to the senses

virtual reality: if you can't create the thing, being an enthusiast is a good idea
esports: I did esports. stop slacking. what this means is buy the most expensive rig you'd need for the game, optimal gaming accessories, a good method to keep studying and getting better (don't be reluctant to beat the same information into your head by studying it very often), make sure you have emotionally stable, motivated and go-getter teammates
music: depends what kind of music you like

I see virtual reality as an extension (maybe an evolution) of what is already going on in the social media/gaming/tech industry
I see esports as pretty nihilistic but still potential a healthy, valid choice
getting into music can be problematic, but I think following the self-expression, making music you enjoy yourself path is a good idea
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.