[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good gift for my parents to show how much I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: Little_Puppy_Nomming.jpg (57KB, 700x523px) Image search: [Google]
Little_Puppy_Nomming.jpg
57KB, 700x523px
What's a good gift for my parents to show how much I've appreciated all they've done for me? I was thinking a puppy. They have a dog but she's 9 and doesn't have much longer, realistically. What would you want as a parent in the autumn of your life?
>>
>>17931755

id want a gift given to me that wasn't based on stereotyping old people.

jokes aside, im not joking. you're their son. get them something based on conversation. and if htat doesn't work, just think of somethign they might like and leave the receipt in case they dont like it.

but the truth is that a gift to show you care can be literally a certificate saying 'i spent this much moeny on this paper saying i love you'.

because thats what it is.

to give someone somethign based on the fact that they're old isn't really that thought ful tho
>>
What kind of dog doesn't have much longer at 9?
>>
>>17931775

the kind you dont feel like driving to the very for the last 4 years of problems.
>>
>>17931775
Welsh terriers have like a 13 year lifespan if you do everything right for them.

>>17931762
but what's wrong with a puppy?
>>
>>17931783

>whats wrong with a puppy

some people like puppies. some dont. some liked puppies but are now so old that getting a puppy is a buden, especially when they werent consulted, and getting the puppy means having to take it or else it goe sto some pound or some shit.

its a guilty present you can't return.
>>
>>17931788
k I see what you're saying. I've been hinting the last year or so that Maddie (our dog) is getting a little old and that they might want someone new to take care of. My parents are both in their 50s so they have a lot of time left (God willing) so I think a puppy would be nice for them. Of course I would offer to pay vet bills and whatnot. I see what you're saying though.
>>
Buy them some jewelry and write a nice letter of thanks. Maybe take them out for a nice dinner. Puppy isn't really an appropriate gift.
>>
>>17931795

its not just vet bills. its training a dog not to shit over the nice stuff you've bought since the last dog ruined everything. its taking him for walks. its playin wtih him.

hell, if thi sdog just has a bad personality they're stuck with it.

i was stuck wiht the worlds worst fucking cat for ten years because my odl one died and my parents insisted a new one would help. it did not and the cat tore up all our carpet.

and you can say 'yes id pay vet bills' but they'd not want that, theyd insist, and after a year it'd get weird anyways.

you hinting at them about a new dog does not mean they want a new dog.
>>
File: poofyedge.png (98KB, 500x738px) Image search: [Google]
poofyedge.png
98KB, 500x738px
>>17931755
Sentimental stuff. A nice shadow box of memorabilia and what not. A new dog might be nice. My parents got dogs as the kids moved out and were broken up every time one passed away.
If you shit money, trips to see places are good. Remember, they had to give up on a bunch of dreams when your dumpy ass came along, so they might really appreciate getting to follow through on one of those wishes now.
>>
>>17931802
Ok Ok I get it. A new pet is a lot of work and raising something from the ground up. But jewelry just seems so impersonal, they are in the autumn of their lives and all of us (I'm the oldest of 4) are all on our way out of the house. I think the empty nest is gonna hit them like a brick. I will definitely keep talking about this, but I just know they would like a dog after our current one dies. I know it.
>>
>>17931813

then ask them. im not saying 'they dont want a dog'. just that no one wants a dog thrust upon them.

i know you probably want to surprise them, but sometimes your surprise is whats ruining your surprise.

if they want their own dog, wont they get one? wont they also pick one out thats suited to their needs and tastes?
>>
>>17931813
>autumn of their lives
Interesting metaphor. What season represents death? Winter? The beginning of spring?
>>
>>17931821
>if they want their own dog, wont they get one?
Of course! But a good dog is a financial burden (2 grand for a purebred in some cases) so I just want to shoulder that for them. I'll keep feeling it out. I just really want them to be happy and sort of selfishly motivate them to keep on living to the fullest of their abilities. I think a dog would help in that regard.
>>
>>17931755
I do like the gooks do (cause I'm a gook) and give them a place to live and some cash.

But remember this. Your time is worth more than any gift you can give them.
>>
>>17931828
Winter is the very end so I guess the beginning of spring is death.
>>
>>17931829

all dogs are good dogs, again ask them. ask them out right. dont test waters. let them go to the pound and experience the joy of selecting their new family member.

they didn't get to choose you, at least let them choose the dog.
>>
If you don't know what to get them as a gift, what makes you think you know what dog is the perfect one, if even one at all, to get them? - - dogs being extremely vague things that have may different traits and personalities that are not apparent at the time of acquisition.

If you aren't 110% confident that you are god's gift to gift giving, don't give living things as gifts.
>>
>>17931841
Youre right. I'll make sure they choose their next family member if that's what they want. I have mentioned that I want to get them a puppy and they were open to it, this was over the summer though. I should press the issue further.
>>
Jesus, do not buy a living thing as a gift for someone. That is super fucking shitty of you to burden them with. What if they want to travel now that you're gone, when they don't have to worry about taking care of a pet?

YOU want a puppy. Discuss the purchase of any living creature with someone before thrusting it onto them.
>>
>>17931841
>all dogs are good dogs
Not true.
>>
>>17931846
Hey fuck you I know my parents better than you. I'm the oldest of four and my mother is a total hardliner career woman who doesn't take a vacation for anybody and my dad follows her lead. I know a dog will delight them in ways I don't understand.
>>
>>17931832
This is especially true. Your time with them is a more valued gift than anything else you can give. Your parents would rather you spend (and take the time for) $5000 on surprise visits and days out with them than $5000 on vet bills.
>>
>>17931852

>ask for advice
>say fuck you when it's given

Sure, buddy. Your poor parents, stuck in the "Autumn of their life" at 50. I'm sure they have nothing they want to do when they retire but raise a dog. Surely, don't ask them, thrust the life of a creature on them, and the guilt that they need to watch it for the next 15 years instead.

"Bye mom and dad, I'm leaving, but here's something else to sap your time and resources!"

You're just like my aunt. Bought my grandmother a new puppy when her last dog died, because she "thought it would be nice." Now the puppy has peed all over the house my grandma used the last of her money to remodel to enjoy her final years. Now she lives in a urine trap and is afraid to leave the dog to go to the store.

TALK ABOUT IT. DONT SURPRISE.
>>
>>17931755
A weekend away or something mature.
The puppy is a well intended idea, but your parents might not want another dog, and their dog might not be happy having a hyperactive pet running around it when it just wants to chill out.
>>
>>17931755
A puppy is never a fucking gift, you gift a game or flowers not a fucking live thing.
>>
A puppy is a terrible gift for anybody who didn't ask for one (and even then, they probably want to pick one out themselves) but especially for seniors who might not have the energy for a puppy.

Depending on your budget and whether or not they have the following already:

- electric blanket because old people gets cold
- a giant ereader preloaded with books they like with clear instruction on ow to use, enlarge texts, etc
- a blender, a small one like the Magic Bullet, lets you make smoothies, my late gran had one of these.
- toaster oven if they don't have one -- they don't have to bend to use the toaster oven when it's on the counter and they can bake or reheat little cakes
- microwave if they don't have one -- if they do, cookware that lets you fry or steam things with the microwave
- a massage chair or a massage bed, my late gran had a massage bed.

Get a gift receipt so they can use the warranty.
>>
>>17931755
Do they have a favorite restaurant they like to go to?

I would get them a gift certificate to that restaurant.
>>
>>17931755

So much this >>17932558 you fucking moron.
>>
>>17931755
>Thanks Mom and Dad for spending time, resources, and effort to raise me and keep me alive
>To show my appreciation I got you another helpless creature that you need to spend time, resource, and effort to raise and keep alive
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.