[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've certainly come to the wrong place, but I could use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 00243.jpg (204KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
00243.jpg
204KB, 640x480px
I've certainly come to the wrong place, but I could use an honest impartial opinion about a fight I'm having.

So last night my brother invites me to go to a pool hall with him. He then invites one of his friends and our brother-in-law. All 4 of us go for an hour and my brother pays the cost of the table rental, $12/hr, and doesn't ask anyone to pay him back.

On the way back we stop at a drive-though and get some food. I tell him I don't have any cash on me but I do at home so I'll pay him back for my food when we get home. We soon arrive home and I give him money for the food.

Today I asked him if he'd like to go back tonight and stay longer(my bro-in-law left my 2 year old niece at home with my sister, which is why we only stayed an hour) to which this exchange followed:
>Only if you're paying
I'm not paying all of it. I'll go 50/50 on it though
>I'm not paying. I payed last night.
You didn't ask anyone to pay you back last night. And we only stayed an hour. We're gonna stay at least 3 tonight. It's not the same
>Well I didn't know we were going back tonight. I'll split it if you pay me for last night
You're not gonna ask the others to pay you for last night why should I have to pay?

Then he called me a cheap bitch and I called him an indian giver and now we aren't speaking to each other.

I realize that yes, It's only $3 that he wanted me to pay him, but I'm a poor-as-fuck wageslave and he has a real job with a yearly salary and KNOWS I have next to no money. I'm willing to pay my fair share but not when being singled out after the fact. If he wanted me to pay him back he should have asked when I was giving him money for the food last night, he can't just change his mind now.

So I put it to you /adv/ am I justified or just being ridiculous?
>>
>>17930298
From what you say, he has some kind of problem with you.
Offer to pay your share next time you go out.
>>
>>17930316
That's what I tried to do today... My current theory is he's just a huge dick.

Thinking about it, last week I asked him if he would give me a ride to post office. The car situation has been a nightmare with all the family in town for the holidays and on this particular day the only car at the house was a stick shift, which I can't drive but he can. He said "What's in it for me?"

Like I said, huuuuuuuge dick.
>>
>>17930358
Most people I know who have some sort of job offers to pitch in for gas or some other compensation.

You're taking time from his day to drive you to where you need to go. The least you could do is offer a few bucks for the drive/time/gas, or if it's that important you could always walk.

My advice is to help pitching in as often as possible in situations like that. If you have a job and don't have money to pay for your own things, it's not his fault and maybe you should consider saving more of your earnings or finding a higher wage job.
>>
>>17930298
I don't know, man, he doesn't sound 100% awesome but you sound awfully entitled.

He's probably peeved that no one helped pay and you're the only one he feels comfortable attacking.
>>
>>17930298
Here's my take: He does sound like he can be a a dick sometimes, but in this specific situation, you're in the wrong, because the face that he paid to go once does not obligate him to pay on any future occasion.
Typically, the person who invites other people out should either offer to pay or else make it clear that they want to split the bill. Asking someone to go out to a paid thing while also expecting that person to pay is a dick move, EVEN IF the person being invited has more money. It would be very nice of him to pay for you (like he did the first time), but he is absolutely not obligated to pay your way every time you want to go play pool.
>>
>>17930803
>>17930813
>>17930845
Thank you to everyone whose chimed in, and I can understand your points of view. If I can defender/clarify some of my points:

I want to be clear about this. If he had asked while we were there or even last night when we got home to chip in, I would have paid him on the spot.

We did in fact exchange money that evening one the privacy of our childhood home, and if he felt so strongly about it why didn't say, "while you're paying me back for the food would you also pay me back for the table rental" I just really feel like him bringing it up the next day is some ex post facto bullshit.

And tonight I had thought that it would just be the two of us. we would meet there driving our own cars, buy our own food/drinks, and split the cost of the rental 50/50. That is what I was trying to propose when he said that I should pay the whole fee, which would have been likely to run upwards of $40. I never had any intention for him to treat me again.

And as to the whole drive to the post office thing, It wasn't important. I went the next day when my sister wasn't borrowing my car. I just asked a family member for a little help and he asked 'tit for tat' and that really peeved me.

I guess I was just raised to believe you don't keep score on favors, especially not between family. The only reason I even needed that ride was because my sister want to go out on a day hike with her family and I said "sure take my car, don't worry about it." I'm not holding out hope that that's going to somehow payoff for me.
>>
>>17930947
>And tonight I had thought that it would just be the two of us. we would meet there driving our own cars, buy our own food/drinks, and split the cost of the rental 50/50
I missed that in your original post, but it still doesn't change anything. He treated you the first night, which was nice of him, but it doesn't obligate him to go out with you on any other nights. Even if you're splitting the cost.
The flip side of the coin is also true! The fact that he paid for you the first time does not mean that you are obligated to pay for him the second time! But he didn't ask you to go out. You asked him.
For the record, I do think he's acting in an unfriendly way. But he's also acting well within his rights.
>I guess I was just raised to believe you don't keep score on favors, especially not between family.
I totally agree with you - but you can't force other people to follow things like this.
>>
>>17930965
Okay I get what you're saying and this is definitely something I haven't properly explained.

He wanted to go.

I don't know if you've ever heard of a game called snooker, but its similar to pool but it requires a special size table and balls(and a single game can take a long time when you are as unskilled as us). This was the reason we went last night. This particular hall is the only place nearby with a snooker table. We were half way through our plans - "ooo we're gonna play 2 game of snooker and then we'll switch to pool for a while"

It was a this point that I said, "You know what, we're probably gonna be there for a while are you cool with splitting the rental cost?" And that's when we started arguing.

And you're right that I can't hold him to the same code as me. I only included that story cause I was still pretty hot about the fight and wanted something to underline my calling him a dick. I didn't just want to be baselessly calling names.
>>
>>17931018
Yeah, I know snooker.
My position is unchanged. Yes, he's being unfriendly, but he isn't being abusive or dishonest or anything like that. So my advice is to just drop it and go with someone else, someone who will split the cost with you.
>>
>>17931048
I'm not really mad anymore. I'm just sad that we didn't go. Snooker was always his idea, so I don't really want to go with someone else. I don't really even know the rules yet. I have a very very vague understanding of snooker and how to play it.

See he's leaving in a couple days and I'd like to somehow get there and play, because we're not gonna see each other for months. We didn't even get to play last night because we left so early.

How can I broach the topic without kindling the fight or hitting the same road blocks? I really can't drop $40+ on a table rental. (At least not this month, holiday gifting really ran my savings dry, but he won't be here next month so that's a moot point.)
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.