[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got offered a job in corporate across the country, don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (8KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 275x183px
Basically, my RM told me last week that he had referred me to work at the corporate office some 1000~ miles away. He told me I showed great potential throughout working here and that the COO was watching my work ethics, then told me that the CEO wants to fly me in for an interview in a few months, to be trained for corporate instead of being a manager.

I don't want to leave my family behind for money, and since I'd be working all the time, I'd have very little time for visits anyways. I'm stuck in this decision considering..
1) I'm 19
2) Know nobody in Michigan
3) They'd pay for me to go to business school
4) Yes, the good pay, benefits, experience etc.

What should I do /adv/? I don't have a life set up here, just renting a house and working as a manager, I make decent money but not enough to live extravagantly obviously. My dream job was to develop video games, as I've been programming since I was 14. But those doors don't seem to be opening, while random doors in a completely different direction are.

I don't want you to solve my problem, just some advice on what you guys/gals would do in this situation.
>>
>>17927193

I've chosen family and friends over other options when faced with this option, but I'm also 30, not 19.

I recently got a job offer at Madison Square Garden. Really big deal. But it meant leaving, and it meant dedicating most of my life to work. I'm just not that kind of person.

I guess that's the question to ask - what defines you? Working and having people admire your role and your works? Or your interpersonal relationships?

Keep in mind, neither answer is wrong.
>>
>>17927193
I would take it. That opportunity of them training you won't come along again. Worst case is if you hate it you can move back with your family and experience.
>>
>>17927240
Essentially this. There is no wrong answer. Your family won't grudge you forging a life for yourself, but they'd also be pleased if you were around, too.

I'd personally do it. I was 27 before I ever left my hometown. Would've been nice to live more places before I got tied down with things. When I settled in my new city it was only 5 years before my family moved here too.
>>
Take it. You're young and can make mistakes. This will be a harder decision when you have a wife and kids and are more firmly planted into the community
>>
>>17927193
I moved country when I was 18 because I could afford university myself by working part time and taking some small loans.

Best decision I ever made, you are young, you will meet people at work and better yet the free university you get.

I'd recommend it, when you finally get away it feels so freeing, and it's still easy to visit.
>>
You're young as hell so yes, go for it. You single? No kids?
And family is stopping you? Your family wants you to succeed you fool.
You can make new friends as long as you're gonna do hobbies outside of work. Or you could even hang out with work colleagues. Once you start school, you can make even more friends.
Finish school theyre providing for you at least so you can have a business degree to fall back on if gaming doesn't bring in the dough.
Your family will be there waiting for you on holidays and such. Don't hold yourself back or you might regret it later.
>>
You are a complete retard if you turn this opportunity down.

Family is a valid excuse when you have kids. You are 19 and single. A low-level management job might seem okay now but that career doesn't go anywhere, you will hate it when you are 40. Now is the time to invest in yourself.

You can always move back home in the future when you have a degree and high-level experience.
>>
>>17927341

op take this opportinty is it a gift from god

if you decline rest assured your future career at that company is shit you will be stuck doingh whatever the fuck get bad reviews because now mgt realizes you are not a "team player"

sure corporate is feeding you shit to get you to accept but so what ?

take the $$$ for a few years get good experienece and then get a better job staying at home

it is much easier to travel when you're younger believe it
>>
>>17927193

My advice, not knowing all the details; Do it, take the offer.

I'm married and have a young daughter. I moved halfway around the world with them because I got a good job offer.

Relocating is not always easy but for myself and my family it was the right choice.
>>
Everybody else has told you what to do. If you are smart enough to get this opportunity, you are smart enough to make new connections when you get there. Bonus: you can completely recreate yourself socially. Nobody knows you or has any expectations of you. You have a gift from the Gods: A do over. Give this up and you'll spend the rest of your life regretting it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.