[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Real Job" vs Creative Job? I no longer enjoy computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0356.jpg (1018KB, 1126x1134px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0356.jpg
1018KB, 1126x1134px
"Real Job" vs Creative Job?

I no longer enjoy computer science and have been looking for a new major. It's dawned on me in my sophomore year that maybe I'm not cut out for this kind of thing and need to take a creative path like I was told I'd be good at.

How much riskier is it to get a degree in something creative rather than say business or engineering?

Currently applying to classes and looking at summer internships for media companie but wanted to know what's the safest ways to "test the waters" of this kind of thing.
>>
>computer science isn't creative
>engineering isn't creative
You didn't understand what was going on, anon
>>
>>17927047
Creative as in arts.

Anon pls
>>
>>17927047
Most of the work in Computer Science won't have an ounce of creativity if he wants to work for a company instead of paying his own bills.
>>
creative jobs aren't as hard to get as people make it out to be as long as you're not a complete sociopath or autist

the problem is they can be really shitty, low pay, long hours, long commute, not secure, no benefit jobs

also you run the risk of hating creative stuff afte aw hile. i've been out of the game for a few years now and am only recently beginning to enjoy creativity again

t. arts major who worked as a graphic designer for 7 years and now has a unionized construction job
>>
>>17927028
> I was told I'd be good at
By someone relevant or friends & family?

>How much riskier is it to get a degree in something creative rather than say business or engineering?
A lot. If you even bothered with something else before, it's unlikely that you have the drive needed to succeed. For CS, business or engineering it's okay to be not retarded and you'll be fine in the future as long you keep doing what people tell you, creative stuff takes much more dedication, initiative and sacrifice unless it's cookie cutter shit like journalism or design.

Also degree for creative stuff isn't even necessary.

>>17927047
In the same way basically EVERY job requires creative problem solving here and there but still not comparable with the real deal.
>>
>>17927068
No, my teachers have told me this. They were on a pretty successful (still going) podcast and one films for shows like "Impractical Jokers"
>>
>>17927095
Well, at least that's encouraging. How bad do you really want to do it and do you have any motivating beyond "fuck the shit I am currently doing"?

It's definitely more risky and that's ignoring the lost time and money but if you really want to give it a try and would otherwise live with regrets, it's totally worth the risk. Also what about stuff in the middle like PR?
>>
>>17927028
Arts is a "Real Job"
It's just idiots like you who aren't actually good that keep throwing themselves into a bonfire because they think they require a arts degree to be an artist.
The degree is useless. If you're shit, no one will hire you unless you want to be a teacher. If you're the top 5%, you'll be getting paid $55,000 to 110,000+.
And by this post I can tell your not serious, and this is a really stupid choice to make.
Please go into something else or stick with computer science and do art on the side.
>>
>>17927115
I mean I originally went into Comp Sci wanting to do Game Design.

I also always enjoyed making things to make people laugh(ex. Videos, photoshopped pics, general presentations)
>>
>>17927125
Calm down hombre.

I understand everything that your saying. I also get the "idiots" will get art degrees and not actually be good at what they do.

No need to come in guns blazing
>>
>>17927137
Sorry.
>>
>>17927125
>>17927052
You're confusing "computer science" with "being a code monkey"
>>
>>17927028

It's riskier, but I think you already know that. But for the love of God, don't so something you hate just because it's not "stable." Trust me, the financial security will become something you've totally forgotten about when you're working long hours with numbers as opposed to taking a creative route to every day's work.

I'm in marketing. I always wanted to write. Instead? Every single day is numbers, numbers, numbers. Everyone looks at some of my other work and say that I'd make a fantastic writer, but there's no way for me to break into the industry at this point, since my marketing skills are what everyone wants me for.

So I slave away for long, unrewarding hours, stressed to all end, and I'm so tired and unhappy at the end of the day, that I have no motivation to write.

So, I've got a wonderfully full bank account, but no inspiration or happiness anymore.
>>
>>17927028

dude if you can't handle computer science there is no way in hell you will be able to deal with engineering

you definitely want to get a job where you can get paid $$ and creative crap does not pay shit there are literally 10,000 artists out there for every 1 that is making $$ on it

go for business with some computer minor and do it as your day job - pursue artsy fartsy stuff as a hobby

you will totally thank me for this advice 5 years from now if you follow it, otherwise you will be cursing like all the other gdamn idjit artists who followed their "dream" until they realized surprise it doesn't pay the bills
>>
in this day and age, it's risky to go for any job that anyone from another can take over for you as well. but yeah, usually if you're not happy with your major you switch it to something that will please you, but be warned... getting a job in something "creative" isn't what it's cracked up to be. if you're wanting your money to not go to waste for college, obviously you stick with your major though then go out into the world and get a job, pay off that debt, then possibly hate what you do, but as long as you get paid, you should be happy you have a job.
>>
>>17927806
i meant from another country can take over for you as well
>>
OP you sound absolutely retarded. I switched from an arts degree to computer science and it's really confusing me why you want to be autistic about your decisions in life
>>
>>17927131
Keep continuing your comp sci studies and start a YouTube channel or something on the side and if it becomes successful to the point where it makes enough to satisfy you switch to it full time DONT GET A DEGREE FOR CREATIVE STUFF
>>
>>17927052
>Most of the work in Computer Science won't have an ounce of creativity

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried amigo
>>
>>17927797
>>17928281

>Hobby
>Do it in your spare time

I desperately want to know what you fuckers do for such a profitable living where you have an additional amount of spare free time to dedicate to great creative works.

I'd bet money that either you A) are still in college and are just saying what mommy and daddy told you, or B) don't actually have any valid creative talents or interests.
>>
>>17927052
LOL, you're one of those "idea" guys. You don't know what you're talking about. It takes a lot of creativity to solve problems.
>>
>>17928355
Stop being so angry, they'll never understand, anyway. He'll just stick with CS, get mediocre grades and find a mediocre job and live a mediocre life.
>>
>>17928355

i went into computers made fairly good $$ working jobs 40hr/week which left me plenty of time nites/weekends to do other stuff

please get a clue you actually need $$ to live your life, doing "art" will not pay the bills

get job make $$ do art on the side sure it will take longer to do art but at least you will have a clean warm place to sleep, clothes to wear & food to eat
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.