[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you had a pretty good income (well above Cost of living) and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

If you had a pretty good income (well above Cost of living) and could choose between

>A sizeable raise

>Work flexibility & ability to work from home most of the week

Which would you choose?

I tried asking on /biz/ but the entire board is just cryptocurrencies and scammers
>>
>>17926976
Depends on whether I did like the job/environment or not. If I do, obviously raise. If not, flexibility/working from home.

Unless it's a job I am planning to do short term, where the main purpose would be to stack money, then it'd be a little more complicated and depend on the factors above + current wage + goal.
>>
I would stick with the same schedule and invest in a gf ;_;

And also bitcoins. Its literally the future
>>
>>17926976
If you're ok with staying at that job all your life, and can't be easily subbed, then I'd take the flexibility.
If you want to get more promotions and shit, you have to take the money, it's usually easier to be noticed when you're physically there.
>>
>>17926976
Working at home isn't how you get more life out of life. All it gets you is comfort, convenience, and distractions. You'll be less productive from home and less involved in the social climate at work.

Keeping your routine and getting more money to do it is a win-win.
>>
>>17926976
Raise, if I started working at home everything will fall to shit. Get sloppy, lose the rythem of 9-5.

Think work doesn't matter as much because you're in your own world at home all day
>>
>>17926976

I just went through this same basic decision and ended up choosing the flexibility and work from home option.

Working from home takes strong discipline. Don't let yourself take time to do chores or play video games or whatever it is you'd normally do. It's good if you can set aside a specific space in your home to work like you would in an office.

The major benefits to this are not having to deal with someone walking past your desk every minute to ask questions or micromanage you, less frivolous meetings you need to pretend are important, less stress of dealing with traffic and dry cleaning and stuff...

I an invigorated in my day to day life if I get personal time, even though I'm a very social person. Just the activity of being in the office from 8-5 exhausts me, and hurts my focus.

I recommend the flexibility.
>>
>>17926993
>If you're ok with staying at that job all your life, and can't be easily subbed, then I'd take the flexibility.
I am, and I cannot really be replaced

The people's attention that matters are not on my continent at this point.
I don't care too much about promotions. I don't want to be a middle manager.
>>
>>17927034
>You'll be less productive from home
No, it's the other way around

I do a lot of programming and data analysis and I am horribly distracted at work.

Everyone i work with in any meaningful sense are on other continents.

>>17927090
Thanks for the input. I hate philosophically having to be in an office from X to Y and hate frivolous meetings and interruptions
>>
>>17927106

Yeah, I'm in digital marketing, and doing my job online is basically the same as doing it offline, bar some meetings to go over results. The rest of it is tons and tons of meetings with obnoxious vendors I'm never going to use anyways.

Sounds like you're well suited to work from home.
>>
Depends.
Sizeable raise is what I'd choose as I'm young I enjoy work. And making bank is all ways good
More flexibility is what I'd choose if I was older and had a family and children
>>
>>17926976
If you are good at your job, there is no reason to accept less money to work from home. You are doing your employer a favor by not taking up office space. I have two people who report to me and both work from home. One is in Tampa, the other in Austin. Both of them bought into the "I'll take less if I can work from home" garbage. The are a steal, given their talent.

Don't sell yourself short. If your are good and can prove it, working from home should not be a factor in your salary.
>>
>>17927968
To some people their time is more valuable.
>>
you choose what pleases you, not us. or better yet, get a piece of paper, write down the pros and cons of both then whichever you seem to flow with after deciding which has more pros than cons, that's how you can get your decision. but honestly, from my stand point, work at home. seems so much easier.
>>
>>17927968

You may be doing your employer a favor in terms of space, but you're also sapping extra time from your life, and adding extra stress.

If you're not the kind of person chasing that paycheck, you're better off at home. And chasing a paycheck is stupid, because you never know what the future may bring that keeps you from being free.
>>
>>17926976
>>A sizeable raise

always go for the $$

why ? because someday you will be an oldfag with health problems and won't be able to work for shit and have to live on savings

sure you're hopefully young healthy strong NOW but time passes and/or any kind of health issue or accident happens and surprise your dream life is now a nitemare

my 2 cents
>>
>>17926976

Flexibility 100% of the time.
>>
>>17926976
God knows if I worked from home id be a turbo shut in. 100% the raise, I'm not one to socialize of my own accord plus being at home that much would drive me nuts. But then again I'm young and have a career ahead of me. If I was towards the end of my career I'm sure I'd choose the working from home option.
>>
>>17928026
I will have easily over a million in my 401k when i retire and have already a good savings

I expect that working from home, having less stress from being in a shitty work environment, not commuting, and the added flexibility will do more healthwise than money
>>
>>17927980
I am doing that, I just wanted some input from people here as well
>>
>>17926976
>money
VS
>life
One is expendable, the other one isn't.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.