[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get a retail job? When I was 16, tried to work at mall.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: sudowoodo.jpg (43KB, 300x410px) Image search: [Google]
sudowoodo.jpg
43KB, 300x410px
How do I get a retail job?

When I was 16, tried to work at mall. No previous work history, no biggie. During college I applied a few times to get summer jobs. Nothing. Now having been a few months from graduation still looking for a job in my field (and desperate for money), I want to get a retail job. But in my life I've probably sent about 100 retail jobs (best buy, petco, walmart) I've never gotten a single reply back ever.

I don't mean to come off as too good for those jobs. But I had a 3.8 in highschool, and graduated with a 3.2 in college. Am I just overqualified? They always ask that in the application. I've heard they never want an employee who is smarter than them, like someone they can just boss around .

Also, the seemingly endless 100 questions about workplace scenarios or "on a scale of 1-5 how comfortable are you working with others?", I feel like I could use some help answering those. Any advice?
>>
>>17924517

yeah if you've got a college degree they are probably thinking - why the hell is he applying ? he will quit as soon as he gets a real job so why bother training ?

so focus on getting a job in your major
>>
>>17924800
I completely understand that,aspect. I was going to apply without putting down that I have a degree. I just dont want them to find out by a simple background check, which they probably will, and see I have a degree. I was just going to say that I have another job but its part time and I needed another job.
>>
>>17924517
A lot of stores have an image they want their staff to project - a head shop wouldn't want a salesman in a suit and tie, for example - and make their snap decision largely on their first impression of you. You can't change your image from store to store, but it might be worthwhile to pre-scout a mall or main street, picking out the conservative stores, the casual ones, the hip ones, etc. Then dress appropriately and hit all the stores of one type in one morning, and then change and hot all the stores of another type in the afternoon, etc.
>>
>>17925491
Thing is I always get the same response
>"fill out an application online"
Like I've done in previous summers exactly that, door to door " hi can I speak to the manager...good afternoon I was wondering if you are currently hiring".
>>
>>17924517
100 applications in your life? I had to do like 100 a week and relocate to get an entry level retail job. Send out more applications.
>>
Work night shifts instead. Nobody wants to do them so it's bumfuck retarded easy to get a job there. Pay's pretty decent too.
>>
File: 1477068930674.jpg (141KB, 716x960px) Image search: [Google]
1477068930674.jpg
141KB, 716x960px
When filling out apps online and you get asked about work place scenarios, you need to answer them how you would think they would like to hear it. Many applicants get tossed aside because of how they answer these questions even though stuff like what you are answering many never come up. I have had to tell people to re-apply to job opportunities knowing full well we need people soo bad but it was the online application that screwed you over.

When i was applying for entry level retail in highschool i applied at every place in my area. I even applied more than once to most locations. It still took 8 months for me to get a call back.

You are not considered over qualified because at an entry level you are replaceable and almost treated like a number. Ive worked with many folks who had a degree in business or something else and were stocking shelves. I worked in a bakery along side someone who went to culinary arts school and was doing the same as me and i have never stepped foot into a school beyond highschool.

Keep your head up and keep trying. It has nothing to do with how smart you are and dont think you are smarter than everyone in that walmart because you are not. Sure that cashier worker may not be the brightest but think of the bigger picture: a retail business needs people willing to work, move up, and manage. The smart people will be able to do this. I have even seen not so book smart people do it and do a great job at it.

On the other hand i suppose it could be your location. Jobs in my area are everywhere, everything from city jobs, office jobs, construction, retail, to fast food.

Tldr: its how you are answering your scenario questions on your online applications, then your application is dismissed by a computer.
>>
>>17924862
I don't know if you are a yuropoor, but in the US a degree won't show up on your background check
>>
>>17926120
Nah man I meant 100 best buy, petco tier jobs.

>>17926260
Good advice man. I will keep trying. I just over think these WalMart questions like on a scale of 1-5, how do you handle stress. Like I don't want to be arogant and say 5, that I don't stress. I don't want to put 3, like "oh man this guy doesn't handle stress well, next!".

>>17926228
I'd prefer the night shift desu. Looking for a 24 hour store in my area, not too many though.
>>
>>17924517
I'll tell you right now, retail jobs are not worth the effort it takes to get them. It was easier to get (and perform) a job in cyber security.
>>
It's also a pretty shitty time of the year to apply for retail. Stores are cutting hours now since the Christmas rush is over.
>>
I worked retail for 3 years and talked with bosses a lot. They never took resumes, but gave small apps to fill out and based everything off that. These are some big points to include/exclude:

>available and at least somewhat flexible with schedules
>any sort of job experience, but not too crazy unless they're hiring high positions (unless they're high schoolers, then they sought the next few points)
>can express themselves and have good customer service (usually based on the reasons the applicant put for "why do you want to work for us?"). Basically just put "to help others and do my best"
>bullshit all of the situational survey things, always right the better answer even if it's untrue for you
>for night crew, mention you like to stay moving and can work alone
>always give them a followup call 3-5 days after your application. Bonus points if you walk-in and prove your charisma to the managers there (risky, though)
>applications with callbacks got a huge percentage in their favor. It shows that they at least somewhat care about getting the job, a shitty retail job at that
>include friends' name who may work there too
>one of the big factors in hiring one of our shittiest workers was that he knew me and another guy, both of us being hard workers. It just werks

Big things to not include:
>that you're only hiring in for a few months. Even if that's your plan, don't tell them that
>try not to mention your degree/GPA, rather that you're in college or something along those lines. They want steady workers, anyone can be trained for retail
>obviously don't mention past felonies unless asked
>don't stop trying
>>
>>17926767
Huge help, thanks.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.