[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is admittedly a silly issue, but I'm hoping someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4264.jpg (83KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4264.jpg
83KB, 720x720px
This is admittedly a silly issue, but I'm hoping someone can help. My husband and I have recently started to read chapters of a book to one another at night, which is nice and gives us something to talk about in the morning — problem is, he can't read aloud for shit. It bothers me beyond belief. If there is a word he cannot figure out in under a second he will either move on, make up a new word, or say something similar with "fuck," added in. He doesn't have dyslexia, he's just impatient and won't sound out the syllables.

Let's say this is a line he's reading:

"The substantial claim that had been put to thought was unremarkable at best."

He will interpret it as:
"The... the substances claim that was put in thoughts is, uh, fuck not interesting."

I don't want to hurt his feelings, how do I approach this? I swear he can read fine, and we have pretty engaging text conversations, so I know he has a wide vocabulary. It just seems like he's a very impatient reader when we do this. I suspect that he may just be nervous about getting to interesting parts of the story, or reading out loud in front of someone but it's ruining things for both of us, since what he reads really doesn't make much sense.

Like I said, it's dumb but it's driving me up a wall. Maybe I should just read to him? It was his idea, that this would be something cute we do for one another before we sleep but it's just made me squirm, and made him antsy to finish.

Obvious suggestions I see coming are 1.) Just don't do it. (He wants to keep going, I've asked already.) 2.) read separately (he won't, I read much faster than he does and he wants us to be on the same page/share this together in an engaging way.) and 3.) JUST TELL HIM (well, how? I don't really have that much social grace, and you guys don't either but a few extra ideas won't hurt.)

So, if anyone can help I'm all ears.
>>
why are you telling us this? talk to him about it.
>>
>>17920674
Because it's /adv/ you retarded. Its what this board was meant for.

OP your husband is retarded, you should find a new one.
>>
>>17920666

maybe your hubby does not like this activity as much as you do ? and he doesn't really care or something

it reads like he is getting irritated instead of enjoying this like you do

maybe you read to him and he does something besides reading to you ?

and what is all this reading out loud stuff ? why not both of you just read the chapters in private and then discuss ?
>>
>>17920666
>"The substantial claim that had been put to thought was unremarkable at best."
>He will interpret it as:
>"The... the substances claim that was put in thoughts is, uh, fuck not interesting."
Holy shit, I just got triggered for the first time on the Interwebz.

3 it is. Tell him to stop being an impatient fuck and read what is actually written.
>>
>>17920666
You should definitely tell your husband how you feel.

Open by letting him know you don't want to hurt his feelings, that you really do enjoy the experience, but he needs to slow down and be more careful when he's reading aloud. Reading aloud is very similar to public speaking, which most people are pretty trash at. He might just be uncomfortable and worried you aren't enjoying his reading. Self fulfilling prophecy and whatnot. Point out the things that he needs to fix and give him some time to get comfortable and work on them, he'll get the hang of it.

If he doesn't get the hang of it, your husband is probably retarded. You should get a new one.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.