[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I buy an engagement ring, /adv/? I read somewhere you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1478346783597.jpg (38KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1478346783597.jpg
38KB, 720x960px
Should I buy an engagement ring, /adv/? I read somewhere you should spend two months salary on one. I have about $10,000 in the bank and two months is $4,000... seems risky.
>>
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK no, don't get super fucking crazy expensive rings. If you're going to get one with shiny rocks in it get one 2nd hand from a pawn shop, don't spend more than 500 bucks on both rings because if your marriage lasts she WILL lose one or both eventually.

Also don't spend a lot of money on a wedding either

Here listen to this shitlib who is accidentally correct
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5BeLinyfpg
>>
This as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kWu1ifBGU
>>
>>17918261
Second this

My buddy I'm sure spent some cash on the wifes engagement/wedding rings. All she does is leave that shit around by the sink, or has it sit in such a way on her finger that the stone hits everything. AND she picked the princess shit out herself. So you know it wasn't cheap

Like others may say, get the moissanite or even zirconium, she won't fucking know. And if she goes to get it appraised and makes up some bullshit that you don't love her enough for a diamond, then you married wrong.

Another anon suggested checking out a gem/rock club. They cut precious stones and diamonds for fucking cheap, like 100 cheap and its the same thing you're going to spend 5k for
>>
>>17918251
Bought my wife a really nice looking $80 engagement ring. White sapphires instead of diamond, created emerald as a stone. She loves it, got lots of compliments from her (admittedly not fabulously wealthy) friends/family, and then promptly never wore it again after the wedding. Basically super expensive rings are an extravagance that either unrealistic or rich girls expect. I would genuinely reconsider marrying a girl who demanded a ring that was 2 months of salary like holy shit woman that's a down payment on a car.
>>
>>17918275
Do jeweler's carry moissanite rings? Do I just go in and ask for that selection?
>>
Buy something nice that you can barely afford. Use real diamonds if you can. The ring can be modified later if you want to upgrade or add stones, and the old stones, if removed, can be set into a necklace or something pretty of that sort.
2 months' salary is fucking stupid if you have less than 2 years' salary saved for emergencies.
>>
>>17918571
namefag pls go
>>
Yeah buy one, just not a super expensive one. Get a traditional solitaire diamond ring 1/2 carat on like idk 10k gold and it wont be more than $1500. But its still "pretty" enough for her to show off. Or alternatively, get a ring with a cluster of small diamonds in the center and itll be even cheaper and look nice.
>>
No. The whole 'two months salary' thing is a load of horse shit, especially now that the ritual of the wedding is MUCH less formal.

I bought my wife a $300 ring off of Amazon, she was helping me pick it out online. There is no way in fuck that I'd spend any more than that on something that A) will INSTANTLY lose it's value the moment the refund period is over and B) whose value is completely artificial.
>>
Dude, the thing is going to be mostly sentimental value, so just beat that horse until it's dead.
Get a simple golden band, maybe some fancy gold I dunno. Add a gem in the middle if you want, some diamond or whatever. Then have your names engraved and stuff and make it very detailed and have some sappy symbolism bullshit, like "this is the lighthouse next to the pier where we first met" or something.
>>
don't do it OP she's probably cheating on you.

Make sure part of the engagement ring acceptance includes candid immediate access to her social media account, and her phone

i mean you're about to give your life to this chick, the least she could do is let you have confirmation she's not sucking some dudes dick behind your back
>>
Honestly, make if something that will make your girl happy. If your girlfriend cares about the cost (she is shit) then go ahead and spend if you have the money for it. But if she doesn't care then focus on the design more than the cost or the personal attachment you two have. For example, let's say she really loves stars and astrology. Could get her a ring that has a small constallation on the band or is simply a star shape.

Told my own guy he better not spend a stupid amount of money on a ring. That money instead can go toward a vacation, savings for a house, or of course bills. Hell, to me, as long as the ring had a pretty design, I don't care if it's from walmart.

Also reminder that the whole wedding business is an expensive scam that isn't really needed. Nice dress, close friends, vows. That's really all you need. Please don't go broke dude.
>>
>>17918251
Only really shallow women and their friends care about a really expensive ring. And if your (hopefully) future fiance cares, she's not really worth marrying.

What could be a little more unusual is to get some other kind of jewellery like they used to do, like a necklace; it's a little more unusual and interesting, and necklaces are easier to wear.

Diamonds are very overpriced. Go with a different gem.
>>17919395
I'd agree, except that the actual wedding ring is a gold band, so it might be a bit confusing.
>>
I've never understood why other people care.

If I ever get married, I would want my guy to just ask me; I don't need a ridiculously expensive ring to prove that he loves me. By that stage, we're probably already very in love.

I wouldn't want the big white dress and stuff either. Just a small ceremony and put the money into a nice holiday or savings.

But anyway, if it's important to your girlfriend, it's probably more important that you make it personal, rather than expensive.
>>
>>17919418
I second this.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.